Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2015, 19:39   #1
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,032
Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Hi everyone,
I have a Technnautics Cool Blue system with eutectic holding plate in my large well insulated fridge on my Tartan 40. It does great at keeping the fridge cold.

Can I make a freezer compartment within the fridge? I was thinking a smaller styrofoam box enclosing part of the cold plate.
If should I put an adjustable vent to allow "cold" to spill into fridge?

Didn't know if a holding plate system can make a freezer compartment.


The rest of the fridge will rely on maybe 1/2 of the cold plate....


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 20:23   #2
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Neptune's Gear's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gulf Harbour, New Zealand
Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Posts: 992
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Well, the easy answer is NO. The fluid in the eutectic tank should have a different freezing point for a freezer than it does for a fridge. The settings on the cooling controller would also be different.
The Complex answer is YES. You would have to set up the existing fridge as a freezer, then partition it off in an airtight manner, and the partition Without the eutectic plate can become a fridge. If you have a look at my site there are some pics of cabinets that do this, and share the same refrigeration unit for fridge and freezer. see here;
Refrigeration Cabinets, Power Consumption Boating Gear fit for the King
Matt
__________________
Matt Paulin
Neptunes Gear Ltd
www.neptunes-gear.com
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 20:47   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,927
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Actually you can't do it that easily it requires a freezer type holding plate I'm sure rich will be happy to help you do just the thing you want shoot him an email rich@cruiserowater.com let him know I sent you
__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 21:02   #4
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Neptune's Gear's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gulf Harbour, New Zealand
Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Posts: 992
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

A eutectic plate is a eutectic plate. There is no freezer type or fridge type. The control unit needs to be capable of freezing. As I said, it is not simple, but it's possible.
__________________
Matt Paulin
Neptunes Gear Ltd
www.neptunes-gear.com
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 21:14   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,927
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Actually the plates are not the same the solution is different in each type of plate . The following quote is from riches site on his technautic systems " The holding plate is filled with the proper eutectic solution for either a refrigerator or freezer plate." He makes em so I will take his word I just install em
__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 21:29   #6
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Neptune's Gear's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gulf Harbour, New Zealand
Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Posts: 992
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Newhaul, may I politely refer you to my first post in this thread. I quote "The fluid in the eutectic tank should have a different freezing point for a freezer than it does for a fridge"
The PLATES can be the same. The fluid needs to be different. It can be changed.
__________________
Matt Paulin
Neptunes Gear Ltd
www.neptunes-gear.com
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 21:32   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: daytona beach florida
Boat: csy 37
Posts: 2,844
Images: 1
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Don't know if it's cheaper or easier, but you could switch from holding plate to a box type evaporator. The box becomes the freezer. Have that on my Adler Barbour install.
__________________
Take two at low eight
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 21:39   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,927
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Don't know if it's cheaper or easier, but you could switch from holding plate to a box type evaporator. The box becomes the freezer. Have that on my Adler Barbour install.
That can be done however it would complicate things considerably
I gave the email of the man that manufactured the system in question however I'm sure he will be along soon to help his handle is SV third day.
__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 21:45   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,927
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Newhaul, may I politely refer you to my first post in this thread. I quote "The fluid in the eutectic tank should have a different freezing point for a freezer than it does for a fridge"
The PLATES can be the same. The fluid needs to be different. It can be changed.
Sorry didn't mean to sound rude mostly different on how we read how things are written and said I'm from north america and you are from nz. Here we have technautics in California and there you have oze fridge same same just different nomenclature
__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 22:10   #10
Registered User
 
Red Sky's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Posts: 335
Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Well, the easy answer is NO. The fluid in the eutectic tank should have a different freezing point for a freezer than it does for a fridge. The settings on the cooling controller would also be different.

Matt's post was pretty clear to me and I'm in North America too.
__________________
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 23:05   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,927
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Red what I meant was it would be easier to have rich send a freezer plate in exchange after all he built the op's system.
__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 23:12   #12
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Sure...its a piece of cake and will cost you very little in terms of Cruising Kitty to complete!
Just give me a call at 619-609-3432 and I'll be happy to walk you through the process or shoot me an email at info@technauticsinc.com

This type of single plate spill-over system is the standard configuration that most CoolBlue system are utilized in.

Quick bullet point plan:
1. Change the eutectic solution in the holding plate to a freezer concentration rather than the refrigerator concentration you have now. There is a drain plug on the plate and you can easily (OK nothing is really easy on a boat) swap out and mix up the eutectic solution yourself once you know the mix formulae of 1/3 glycol 2/3 water for a freezer plate or 10% glycol and 90% water for a refrigerator plate.

2. Replace your refrigerator thermostat with a freezer thermostat. We can sell you one or give you the part number to buy one anywhere around the world. This will get you the lower temps and you always have to match the thermostat temp with the eutectic solution freezing/melting temps for efficient operation.

3. Put a 1" insulated partition box around the plate with air flow holes like we show in our manual (go download it from our website) and you can control the flow of cold air to from the freezer space to the refrigerator space.

4.
Boom.....done...how hard was that? Easy as falling off the boat and you can have rock hard ice cream in the freezer space and good refrigerator temps that don't freeze your veggies.


But seriously I'm available 7 days a week by phone, email, Skype, text and damn near smoke signals if you need me.....
__________________
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 09:34   #13
Mike
 
msrcal36's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond YC, SF Bay
Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35
Posts: 101
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Technauctics Cool Blue boat show display shows a frig/freezer combination. Simple: install divider (Polyisocyanurate board available at Home Depot). The divider can be movable to enlarge one section or the other. It must be about 2 inches shorter than the top of the fridge to allow freezer side cold air to spill over to fridge side.
Mike
__________________
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 14:09   #14
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,032
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Sure...its a piece of cake and will cost you very little in terms of Cruising Kitty to complete!
Just give me a call at 619-609-3432 and I'll be happy to walk you through the process or shoot me an email at info@technauticsinc.com

This type of single plate spill-over system is the standard configuration that most CoolBlue system are utilized in.

Quick bullet point plan:
1. Change the eutectic solution in the holding plate to a freezer concentration rather than the refrigerator concentration you have now. There is a drain plug on the plate and you can easily (OK nothing is really easy on a boat) swap out and mix up the eutectic solution yourself once you know the mix formulae of 1/3 glycol 2/3 water for a freezer plate or 10% glycol and 90% water for a refrigerator plate.

2. Replace your refrigerator thermostat with a freezer thermostat. We can sell you one or give you the part number to buy one anywhere around the world. This will get you the lower temps and you always have to match the thermostat temp with the eutectic solution freezing/melting temps for efficient operation.

3. Put a 1" insulated partition box around the plate with air flow holes like we show in our manual (go download it from our website) and you can control the flow of cold air to from the freezer space to the refrigerator space.

4.
Boom.....done...how hard was that? Easy as falling off the boat and you can have rock hard ice cream in the freezer space and good refrigerator temps that don't freeze your veggies.


But seriously I'm available 7 days a week by phone, email, Skype, text and damn near smoke signals if you need me.....

That's great advice. Many thanks for the quick reply. This will be my spring project. Quick question what kind of glycol do I use? And should I use distilled water?


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 14:22   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,927
Re: Make a freezer in existing fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
That's great advice. Many thanks for the quick reply. This will be my spring project. Quick question what kind of glycol do I use? And should I use distilled water?


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Food grade would be preferred ( propylene glycol )
__________________

__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
freezer

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insert existing waypoint into existing route? Beausoleil OpenCPN 16 17-06-2012 07:49
Improving Insulation on Existing Fridge / Freezer sailorgal Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 1 17-04-2010 07:21
Fridge / Freezer re paint Frank, Southern Voyager Construction, Maintenance & Refit 2 25-12-2007 07:27
3-way (Gas & Electric) Portable Fridge Freezer David_Old_Jersey Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 19 02-03-2007 13:09
Anybody "build in" an Engel fridge/freezer? Geoff S. Construction, Maintenance & Refit 14 22-03-2006 16:18



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.