Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2011, 13:06   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Magnum Energy - Who Has Experience With This Manufacturer?

My 16-year-old Heart Freedom 25 inverter/charger just died and I doubt it's economical or even possible to repair. I noticed that West Marine is selling the Magnum Energy Mobile Power Inverter/Chargers line of inverter/chargers - does anyone have any experience with any of these?

What I'd ideally like to find is an inverter/charger that can accept both 120VAC 60hz AND 240VAC 50hz but I haven't been able to find any such animal. Has anyone out there seen such a thing?

Thanks for your help.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 14:04   #2

Re: Magnum Energy - Who Has Experience With This Manufacturer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
My 16-year-old Heart Freedom 25 inverter/charger just died and I doubt it's economical or even possible to repair. I noticed that West Marine is selling the Magnum Energy Mobile Power Inverter/Chargers line of inverter/chargers - does anyone have any experience with any of these?

What I'd ideally like to find is an inverter/charger that can accept both 120VAC 60hz AND 240VAC 50hz but I haven't been able to find any such animal. Has anyone out there seen such a thing?

Thanks for your help.

Fair winds and calm seas.
I have a Magnum MS4024... works.. They claim in the manual that it will work with 60 hz, and they claim to have a 50hz version. Calling the factory resulted in being told that the 60hz version WOULD work in a 50 hz environment for charging.... but would not convert the 50hz to 60 hz.

I also have an isolation transformer (charles marine, 12KV) that allows me to select between 120 and 240 V . I have the shore power so it can feed into the isolation transformer 120 power or 240V power...

the isolation transformer is quiet... I am very pleased with it.

The Magnum has the most horrible buzz (even with a rubber pad on the mounting bulkhead to help minimize the noise....)

I saw (heard) a demo of a MasterVolt masscombi inverter charger and was amazed about how quiet the thing was... I would definitely pay the extra and go with the mastervolt... Supposedly they are known for their quietness....

hope that helps...

Best of luck
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:19   #3
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: Magnum Energy - Who Has Experience With This Manufacturer?

The Victron Multi-Plus MultiPlus 800VA - 5kVA - Victron Energy will meet your frequency requirement but the voltage range is from 95 to 140VAC. It outputs 120VAc @ 60Hz.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is online now   Reply With Quote