Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 00:37   #16

Re: Magnum Energy MSH versus Victron Energy MultiPlus

if you want it for boosting capabilities the magnum is useless on a boat. because nobody runs the whole boat through an inverter. the panel is always split. and since it only has the one output it will never be able to measure the non inverter loads to compensate for it. and the boost function will never work. the regular magnum's are great and I install lots.

the victron with 2 outputs. (one non inverting) can actually measure the total current used by the boat. and the boost will function.

one terrible thing about the victrons is you can't turn the charger off and still have power on the boat. stupid design. it should have 2 switches like the magnum. one for inverter and one for charger.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 01:13   #17

I've lived in an off grid house for the last 20 years. I'm no expert but did install the entire solar, wind genny, charge controller, battery bank(s) SYSTEM MONITOR, inverter and related systems. I have a trace (now xantrac) 2412 charger/inverter. It's not a true sine wave inverter, but is a so called 'stepped wave' or 'square wave' inverter (Xantrac produces both types, or did last I checked). It has been in continuous use since 1998 and has performed flawlessly.
I would humbly suggest that a good system monitor is crucial to protecting your investment whatever inverter you choose. Unlike 20 years ago, there are many, many options to choose from.
Having a separate system monitor means you have more accurate information about the state of the battery, discharge, & charging rates, all of which will ensure you can properly care for all the components of your system.
FWIW I just bought a True sine wave inverter myself for installation in the vehicle I'm using to move to the coast and live in until I purchase my sailboat. I'll be bringing it aboard the boat after that. I've gotta say the choices available these days are awesome, and they have become incredibly affordable overall!!

Anyhoo, good luck with whatever you choose
Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 01:37   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

one terrible thing about the victrons is you can't turn the charger off and still have power on the boat. stupid design. it should have 2 switches like the magnum. one for inverter and one for charger.
Why would you want to turn the charger off?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 01:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Why would you want to turn the charger off?

working on DC system, testing things, many other reasons.

and now while doing work on the boat you have no AC outlets for doing work...
Old 28-04-2016, 01:51   #20

Quote:
one terrible thing about the victrons is you can't turn the charger off and still have power on the boat. stupid design.
You can (easily) do this if you connect a PC to the Victron (and use the Victron software). The software is also very useful to monitor the stage of the charger, to monitor shore power, inverter power and even has the small remote panel included ...

But yes, you have to hook up a computer.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 02:19   #21

Boat: Shearwater 39

I have no computer on board and monitor all the functions on the Victron Color Controller. As for running the inverter only without the charger .....just unplug shore power.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Al Dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 15:23   #22

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
if you want it for boosting capabilities the magnum is useless on a boat. because nobody runs the whole boat through an inverter. the panel is always split. and since it only has the one output it will never be able to measure the non inverter loads to compensate for it. and the boost function will never work. the regular magnum's are great and I install lots.

the victron with 2 outputs. (one non inverting) can actually measure the total current used by the boat. and the boost will function.

This is interesting as I am considering the Victron, but I must say I don't understand what you mean. Could you expand on this a little more?
Old 04-07-2016, 00:12   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
This is interesting as I am considering the Victron, but I must say I don't understand what you mean. Could you expand on this a little more?
He can answer better himself if he sees this, but I can venture a guess at what he meant:

He means that there are some devices you don't want to have run through the inverter, for example, the immersion heater.

The Victron has two outputs, one of which is "load shedding" -- that is, it is powered only if there is shore power or generator power present, so that it will not be powered by the inverter.

One really useful thing which these devices do is to reduce charger power in case there's not enough shore power (you set the limit) present, and then finally boost the shore power (or gen power) with inverter power in case reducing charger power is not enough. He means that if you have a load which is not run through the device (like an immersion heater you wired up separately), this load will not be counted by the device in determining whether the set shore power limit is being exceeded or not.

I actually have the Victron with the second "load shedding" output, but don't use this output -- even my immersion heater is on the regular output. The whole boat goes through the inverter. This requires a bit more management as it becomes easier to overload the inverter, but I have not found it to be a problem. I have a large (2.5kW) inverter, and so sometimes even run the immersion heater from the inverter.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:54   #24

What does he mean "boost" function? And if the second circuit is not coming through the inverter, what difference does it make to the inverter? At the risk of answering my own question, do you set the limit of the incoming power, and it subtracts the second circuit from what it sends to charge the batteries?
Old 04-07-2016, 05:59   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Dente View Post
I have no computer on board and monitor all the functions on the Victron Color Controller. As for running the inverter only without the charger .....just unplug shore power.

You can use the CCGX or remote control to set the input current to 0 for the same result.
Alternatively you could send mode "2" (inverter only) to address 33 on unitID 246 using the modbus-tcp interface.
solartude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 14:25   #26

Boat: Mahogany Centerborder 30 foot, 1937

Quote:
What does he mean "boost" function? And if the second circuit is not coming through the inverter, what difference does it make to the inverter? At the risk of answering my own question, do you set the limit of the incoming power, and it subtracts the second circuit from what it sends to charge the batteries?
If wired as designed by Victron, all shore power goes to the Victron unit. You can limit the power drawn from shore to accomodate low Amp shore connections - for example my home Marina will only allow 5A/230V. As long as Power consumption aboard is less than the set limit, e.g. that 5A, the Rest will be used to charge the Batteries. If consumption is higher than the set limit the inverter will add the rest from the batteries. (Maximum will be set limit + rated Power of the Inverter). This way I can run a 6A heater off a 4A shore connection - while my batteries last.

Sent from my Lenovo B8080-H using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
woodenboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:01   #27

Quote:

the MSH and victron will power sync and boost shore power. similar to having 2 gens that can sync and match phase. IE you have a 30a 120v shore cord. your hot water heater is on, you turn on your mircowave and toster at the same time, and you are drawing 40a. instead of the shore power blowing, the inverter will kick in and supply they extra 10a. when the toster and mircowave turn off it will go back into charge mode.

this is different then power sharing that most all charger / inverters do that will reduce charging amps when AC loads are put on. IE you put a 25A load on shore power and it will reduce the AC load of the charger to 5A.

But if you have an MSH with only one output, most likely your water heater, engine battery charger, other big loads will be on a non inverter bus, and not monitored by the inverter / charger. so in the first case. you have a HWT, mircowave, and toster. the inverter will only see the AC load of the mircowave and toster only. say 25a. it says "still under 30a, no need to boost, but I will reduce charging". mean while your power draw is 40a with the HWT. and you just blew your shore power breaker despite having an expensive boosting inverter.

the victron with 2 outputs will see the HWT current, know the total is over 30a. and boost. but not allow the big loads to run off inverter.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:47   #28

I have a bypass switch so I can choose wether to run the shore power to the boat through the multiplus or direct to the control panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 15:52   #29

I have decided to go with the Victron but when I went to buy it, I am faced with three choices. Nowhere on the various sellers' sites or the manufacturer's can I find any information that distinguishes one model form another, (which I find astounding for something so complex and expensive) and all the places are closed. Hopefully someone here has already done the research and found this out.
The three models are:

VICTRON ENERGY MULTIPLUS 12/3000/120-50 120V
VICTRON ENERGY MULTIPLUS 12/3000/120-16
VICTRON ENERGY MULTIPLUS 12/3000/120-50

The last one being $135 more expensive than the first two.

Anyone?
Old 08-07-2016, 16:35   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Dente View Post

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
So you can do everything with the Color Controller that you can do with a computer?

Also, what can the Color controller do that the Blue Power Panel can't, besides display in color? It's about half the price of the color.