Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 18:49   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
MagnaSine 2012 Inverter

Anyone had experience with the Magna Sine 2012 inverter? I picked one up for a customer who later chickened out after realizing it would cost about $8-10,000 to reheat a burrito and brew a cup of coffee. That's after building in the additional battery capacity, wiring, hardware, new high output alternators, etc. to support a modern inverter system. I am thinking strongly of keeping it for myself, seeing as how I have been ambling down that path for the last couple years, remodeling the electrical system, charging system and battery storage capacity. It looks like a very classy unit, but I've had little luck finding significant reviews. The other competing system is the equivalent Outback unit.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 14:00   #2

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Anyone had experience with the Magna Sine 2012 inverter?
Which 2012? There's the ME series (modified sine wave), the MS (pure sine wave), and the RD series (like ME but no neutral/ground bonding relay, and there's no 2012 in that series - only 1800W and 2200W).

I have the MS2812 - nice feature set, but even after almost a year of using it, I'm still working out bugs in the AC system. Don't know if the MS2812 is just sensitive or what...

The feature that sold me was the fact that it can handle (and pass through) two 30A legs, so pretty handy if you have 120-240V/50A shorepower and genset...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 20:55   #3

Thanks, Cap'n Jon. It's an MS 2012. My AC needs are few away from the dock, but I wanted to have pure sine wave for future stuff. I only have a 30 amp circuit coming into the boat, so I chose the smaller unit, as well as having only about 400 amp hours in each of the two house banks. Could you tell me how loud the fan motor is? I haven't settled on the final location, but if the noise is too noticeable, that could be an issue.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:20   #4

ROY M,

I have a MS 2812 that I just recently installed on my sailboat. As far as the fan noise, mine is in the main salon on my boat and it is noticeable because of the venting that I have provided. However, I don't mind hearing the fan coming on because it makes me aware that the equipment is trying to cool off and is working properly. If I am not mistaken the MS2012 requires you to connect it within 6 feet of the battery bank and use 2/0 wire. If you need a good deal on 2/0 check out genuinedealz.com or pkys.com.
The Magnum inv/chrg can be attached to a Remote, Battery Monitor(BMK) and battery temp sense. I have installed all three items and I am impressed by the battery monitor system which will give you state of charge, AH In and Out, battery temperature, transformer temp and FETS temp.
Another quality that I like about Magnum is their customer service. They are very responsive and willing to help out.
CorrinaCorrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:52   #5

Corrina Corrina, Thanks for the encouraging words and advice. My battery bank is located on the other side of the bulkhead to which the inverter will be attached, so cable runs will be short. I also purchased the remote and temp cable. Your comment regarding customer service was spot on, as I had to get some confirmation of layout and performance when planning to install this on my customer's boat. I'm glad he bailed out of the project because I could then rationalize buying the inverter for myself. Thanks for all your help, folks!
Old 11-05-2009, 15:57   #6

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrinaCorrina View Post
If you need a good deal on 2/0 check out genuinedealz.com or pkys.com.
Have you dealt with either of these two companies or has someone close to you given them the thumbs up?
I do need to purchase quite a bit of wire and could use a good suppier.

Let me know if you would.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:40   #7

I have used both companies. Genuine Dealz is free shipping and PKYS.COM is just down the road from me. You really can't go wrong with either.
For Roy M, I would seriously look into the BMK monitor. I have been very pleased with it.
CorrinaCorrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 15:50   #8

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrinaCorrina View Post
I have used both companies. Genuine Dealz is free shipping and PKYS.COM is just down the road from me. You really can't go wrong with either.
For Roy M, I would seriously look into the BMK monitor. I have been very pleased with it.
Thanks Corrina.
Just so happens that I have the exact inverter/charger that Roy M has. I also have the ME-BMK Monitor and the ME-RC Remote.
That said, I can't comment yet on its performance, it's just getting installed.

Thanks again.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 20:13   #9

Corinna(squared?): I have a Link 2000 already for monitoring. Ah, technology, it changes so quickly and cooly, but I ave to draw the line somewhere. Thanks for adding your two cents (actually worth far more) to the discussion. I suspect there are lots of folks following this dia (trialogue?)

Tags
inverter