Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2011, 13:28   #1

Boat: Carri Craft Cruiser, 57', 1992
Low Amps: Xantrex w/ Koehler Generator

Day 15 without a working electrical system.

The Kohler 6.5CZ generator is controlled through a Xantrex MS2000 inverter charger.

When using a small, borrow generator we can charge the batteries. The Kohler will not charge batteries through the generator hookup on the control panel. Connected the Kohler to the shore power lines. It still will not charge batteries. The Kohler will not charge batteries though the connection that works fine for the portable generator.

Error message: "Low amps. Cannot charge batteries, will invert only."

The ground wire must be removed to start the generator from the control panel. The ground wire has to be reconnected in order to shut off the generator from the control panel.

Please share your solutions.
TravelingNanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 04:11   #2

Re: Low amps: Xantrex w/ Koehler Generator

hi
my name is Ayman and I just got my new baby a 2000 byliner Ciera 2855
and she has A/C and all the extra accessories but not a generator!!!!!!

can I use one of the small Honda generators to operate the appliances and the A/C?
if not what can I do
aymantalaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 06:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ayman.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 06:18   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

GordMay,

Saw your log-in on this one. Was curious to see your comment on OP.
Old 19-07-2011, 06:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
GordMay,

Saw your log-in on this one. Was curious to see your comment on OP.
I do not know what you are talking about. My posting is about problems with my Kohler and Xantrex.
Old 19-07-2011, 07:19   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quite simple--GordMay ia highly regarded for his knowledge on electrics (and just about everything else that is raised on this forum), and I was hoping to see his opinion.
Sorry Gord, not trying to put you on a spot.
Old 19-07-2011, 08:42   #7

I would certainly welcome some insight. We live aboard in southern Florida and this is the 20th day without a working electrical system. I have posted on RV forums, Cruiser forums, sent emails to the manufactures of both Kohler and Xantrex and paid hundreds of dollars in repairs. We cannot find anyone that seems to know how to solve this issue.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:33   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Low Amps: Xantrex w/ Koehler Generator

I see that you have posted on another thread as well as this one. There was a suggestion made about the connections may be wrong. Have you checked that out?

What repairs were made to the generator and why?

You say the gen. is being controlled by the MS2000. I don't understand how it is being controlled. Can you run the gen. without the control cable?

If you leave the Xantrex MS2000 turned off can you run the generator and power other loads, such as lights, an electric heater, etc.?

If you disconnect the MS2000 control cable and run the generator can you use the battery charger portion of the MS2000?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 12:13   #9

There was a suggestion made about the connections may be wrong. Have you checked that out? We don't know how to check that out. We are told it is hooked up correctly but you have to remove the ground wire in order to start the Kohler. This seems to me to indicate that something is not hooked correctly.

What repairs were made to the generator and why? A new starter was added and the carburetor was cleaned.

You say the gen. is being controlled by the MS2000. I don't understand how it is being controlled. Can you run the gen. without the control cable? The generator can be started with the starter on the Kohler or with the starter on the Xantrex Control Panel. Both of these require the disconnecting of the ground wire. The generator can be turned off from either location but only if the ground wire is reattached. (We are only calling this a ground wire because that is what the repairman keeps saying it is the ground wire.)

If you leave the Xantrex MS2000 turned off can you run the generator and power other loads, such as lights, an electric heater, etc.? No. All of the power is wired through the Xantrex. We have a borrowed, portable generator connected to the shore power line. We can charge batteries and run all systems correctly. We tried connecting the Kohler to the shore power line. We get a error message saying, "Low Amps, Will invert only." When reconnecting the borrowed generator to the shore power line all works correctly again.

What I am saying is that the Xantrex is working just fine from the borrowed generator. All of the problems occur only with the Kohler. The Kohler starts, sounds like it is running fine, puts out 60 Hz and 120 Volts. The amps continue to stay low.

If you disconnect the MS2000 control cable and run the generator can you use the battery charger portion of the MS2000? As mentioned above, the battery charger works just fine on the Xantrex when it is connected to the borrowed, portable generator. [/QUOTE]
Old 19-07-2011, 12:33   #10

Did everything work correctly before the generator was serviced? If so you need to get the orginal repairman back to show what he touched. I am always suspicous of anything xantrex but its possible its not at fault here Where were the volt readings taken from the genset indicating 120v at 60 hz? at the charger?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 12:51   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do you have the service manual?

http://marinegenerators.us/kohler/lit/TP5338.PDF

If you have, have you gone through the troubleshooting section?
Old 19-07-2011, 12:54   #12

The original repairman was in New Orleans. He has since died. The boat is now in se Florida. The New Orleans repairman was taking a fortune and was not making any headway. We gave up and purchased a portable generator. That unit has now worn out from constant use for the last three years. There is no way to check what the original repairman did.

The current repairman has been great at getting the generator to start and run smoothly. The readings have been checked multiple times at the Kohler output and at the Xantrex panel input. The Hz and Voltage stay in range. Only the amps are low.
Old 19-07-2011, 13:12   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Has anyone flashed the rotor field? Section 7 of the maint. manual.
Old 19-07-2011, 13:16   #14

We have the manuals for both the Kohler generator and the Xantrex MS2000 inverter/charger. We have gone through the troubleshooting, friends at our marina have gone through the troubleshooting, our repairman has gone through the troubleshooting. Engineers, working as a team have shot us questions and tried to resolve the issue step by step. Electrician friends from afar have tried to resolve the issue also by asking questions and making suggestions.

This is day 20 of our nightmare. I have posted on this forum and on an RV forum. I have asked friends on Facebook. I have tried to hire an electrician. We put a lot of money into repairs in New Orleans and gained nothing. We have paid a lot to have the current repairs made. The next repairman will cost at least another $500, largely due to the distance that has to be traveled to get to the boat.

The Xantrex is working great with another generator. The Kohler is putting out power. the Xantrex is receiving power. We just cannot charge the batteries with the Kohler.
Old 19-07-2011, 13:33   #15

is there a transfer sw between shore power and the genset?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator