Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2014, 22:00   #1

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Looking For Links To Wiring Diagrams...

I was wondering if anyone has a link to wiring diagrams showing basic solar panel wiring systems for a 3 separate battery bank system with details of how the solar panels are connected to charge all battery banks. I want to update the electrical system in conjunction with fitting a new solar panel/regulator because it was never properly wired for the old panel, meaning i've had to manually swap the panel charge between batteries – not ideal. I think that there may be smarter ways to use the 3 isolation switches also which might mean wiring the alternator into the system differently.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 22:06   #2

Re: Looking For Links To Wiring Diagrams...

Charlie, I think it would help if you showed us a diagram of what you currently have setup.
Old 24-08-2014, 01:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Looking For Links To Wiring Diagrams...

How much solar and how much battery power per bank - it could make a difference.

There are guys doing creative things with hook ups. Some of them end up with a requirement for an instruction manual to turn batteries on and off especially if switches are wired in series.

For me nothing is as simple as paralleling relays. I don't see any reason not to have multiple paralleling relays and when charge sources are available the batteries all tie together.

The problem is, and I am guessing here, is that you probably want to deplete a bank, switch to a full bank and then charge the depleted one in isolation. I am guessing also two larger house banks and one start battery.

There was a recent thread on this but I can't locate it readily. It had a wiring diagram in it.

I could envision a pretty automated system for this using solenoids with manual overriding. Doing it manually is easy. Doing it automatically is easy. Doing it automatically with large range of manual control is a little more complex.

Blue Seas has a fair amount of equipment that could do all this if put together properly...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring