Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-03-2013, 21:01   #16

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 38
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Why do you want to charge the engine battery? If its isolated why you are sailing or anchored it will be good for a month before needing a charge, then just run the engine.

However, if you absolutely must have a second charger, how about something simple and small from the CTEK range:

CTEK - Car Battery Chargers, Marine Chargers and Solar Battery Chargers

Well I'm planning on having the engine battery run the windlass and the generator as well, plus I figure it can't hurt to have a second charger. The big thing is I wanted the engine battery to start the generator so that if I accidentally run down the house bank I can still start the genset to charge it. So then I need to make sure the engine battery is getting charged so I don't run it down with the generator... right?

Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post

A smaller charger? I use twin gerbils on dual inline treadmills, but the cost of keeping fresh lettuce onboard for them is having me thinking of switching systems. Plus, none of the crew ever want to teach them how to use the head, to save from changing litter so often.
For a split second, I thought "I've never heard of the brand 'gerbils'" lol. If I could harness my dog's energy somehow I probably wouldn't need the generator!

Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 08:10   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Looking for a new battery charger

For a sealed, marine grade charger buy a small Victron or Mastervolt. My opinion they are the two best in the market.

The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote

battery, charger

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: