Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 14:26   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Lithium Ion Breakthrough - forgetful-scientists-accidentally-quadruple-lithium-ion-ba

A breakthrough no doubt but lets see if this makes it to production...

Forgetful scientists accidentally quadruple lithium-ion battery lifespan | Chips | Geek.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 14:31   #2

Re: Lithium Ion Breakthrough - forgetful-scientists-accidentally-quadruple-lithium-io

A link on the same page is showing carbon/air batteries with 10 times as much capacity...

New carbon/air battery stores 10x more energy than li-ion | Chips | Geek.com

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 14:58   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Lithium Ion Breakthrough - forgetful-scientists-accidentally-quadruple-lithium-io

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
A link on the same page is showing carbon/air batteries with 10 times as much capacity...

New carbon/air battery stores 10x more energy than li-ion | Chips | Geek.com
My guess would be that since that article is six years old, it would not scale commercially. But, we could be surprised.

I wonder if Tesla is on it?
Old 17-08-2015, 15:25   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Tesla buy their button cells from Panasonic......
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 15:37   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
Tesla buy their button cells from Panasonic......
I would think that Tesla does at least some of their own research and development. But I could be corrected on that

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-08-2015, 16:18   #6

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I would think that Tesla does at least some of their own research and development. But I could be corrected on that

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Markets | Mon Jun 8, 2015 5:10am EDT Related: STOCKS, M&A, MARKETS, CYCLICAL CONSUMER GOODS
UPDATE 1-Panasonic to send hundreds to Tesla Gigafactory, step up auto investment
* Staff to prepare lithium-ion battery-making from autumn

* Electric car plant to begin manufacturing next year

* Panasonic to invest nearly $500 mln on auto ops this year

* Looking to develop auto tech partnerships with others

By Ritsuko Ando

OSAKA, Japan, June 8 (Reuters) - Japanese electronics group Panasonic Corp will dispatch hundreds of employees to Tesla Motors Inc's Nevada Gigafactory from this autumn to get ready to make lithium-ion batteries for electric cars at the plant from next year.

Panasonic's partnership with ambitious automaker Tesla is a key part of a drastic restructuring in recent years to end losses, squeezed by cheaper Asian rivals. The firm has exited unprofitable product lines like smartphones and plasma TVs, pivoting instead to energy-saving home systems and investing nearly $500 million to develop auto business this year alone.

"We'll need hundreds of people at the start," Yoshio Ito, head of Panasonic's automotive and industrial systems (AIS) division, told reporters at a briefing on Monday. "We should actually see that starting around the autumn."

Ito said Panasonic plans to invest around 60 billion yen ($478 million) in the current fiscal year through March in its automotive business. That includes the Gigafactory, which Tesla has said will cost up to roughly $5 billion, with Panasonic to shoulder around 30 to 40 percent of the investment in a plant that is key to the automaker's plans to ramp up sales.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 17:15   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I don't think this "breakthrough" is about capacity, its about longevity.

So, compared to a "carbon" battery you might not get 10x the capacity but you would get 4 x the performance life, so if you are able to reach your capacity requirements, then its all bonus because you won't have to replace your batteries in 20 or 30 years.

But even if its "just" 4x the capacity - that's a lot of energy!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 12:59   #8

Having read this thread, and doing some online research. I have found that there are many labs doing research on "metal / air" batteries, but this is still in the research stage, no one has come to the production stage yet, and possibly not for a few years.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 23:35   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
My guess would be that since that article is six years old, it would not scale commercially. But, we could be surprised.

I wonder if Tesla is on it?
Hi speaking of Tesla I was fortunate to meet Errol Musk the father of that now very famous and influential originally South African Elon Musk at the False Bay yacht club here in Simon's town.I was considering a purchase of a 36 ft Tosca and he happened to own one so went down and had a look at her and I eventually after speaking to him found out who he was .He has a home in Malibu his daughter is a Director at Universal Studio's and then he told me about his son's interest in rocketry and the fact that he owned his own island from which he worked .I had never heard of Elon so I was somewhat disbelieving of his story but of course had a chance to check on the veracity of it and felt somewhat priviliged to have met such a person so connected to the space race and the efforts to move to Mars.No sailing there yet though.
I told a young friend of mine about this chance meeting and he has followed avidly all the launches of various rockets to the ISS and today I would imagine he is one of the most informed ppl regarding Elon's exploits.He is a young man who grew up sailing in Antigua and left sailing across the North Atlantic at age 4 to come to South Africa where I met him as a boy of 7 in Kalk Bay where he lived.Some years later I bought a catamaran and he at age 14 to 16 used to crew for me .Sadly at 18 he fell from a tree and is today a quadriplegic with no movement except for his head .The greatest tragedy of his life and mine as well.Nothing more horrible to witness than a perfectly healthy and extremely fit young man going through such an event .
Anyway God works in mysterious ways and Joshua Humbolt Flood has spent many a long and happy hour online following each and every development of not only Tesla but Spacex as well.He uses the computer by mouth and has a little toggle switch to operate the key board.Oh if anybody needs a website made he does that type of work and is also upgrading his skills by doing a course through the University Cape Town.
If you do need anything done and employed him you would be supporting an ex yachttie who no longer can go to sea.Joshua is now nearly 28 and this is his ninth year on his back totally reliant on two round the clock caregivers both the most wonderful compassionate black men .One a Christian from Zimbabwe and the other a Muslim from Malawi.WOW Have these three men taught me a lot about life and what it means to be a real human being.So sad that the whole world cannot learn from them.Those ISIS bastards might even learn something !!!!
I was surprised when phoned Errol Musk on the day and during the first Spacex docking with the ISS that he was not aware of the event taking place.He very quickly asked to put the phone down so he could go and watch it live online.
This was the first privately owned capsule to dock with the space station so it was indeed an historical event .To say the least I was surprised that Elon's dad needed reminding .I felt like I had done them both a good turn.
If anyone would like to make contact with Joshua you can do so through me he really is an inspiration to anybody .

Tags
accident