Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 12:36   #1
Registered User
 
thelifenomadik's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Boat: Robertson&Caine Leopard 38
Posts: 41
Images: 26
Lithium betteries and solar panels

We installed some more solar panels and lithium batteries.

After much research we found the cheapest lithium batteries in USA.
__________________

__________________
www.thelifenomadik.com
thelifenomadik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 35
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

So I didn't see what charge controller you have?

I'm going from 550watt to 1000watt next Monday, installing a midnite 150 classic which can charge within the parameters of LIFEPO4 @96a max.

We are planning 1250ah from balqon, but we are a charter boat and are very wasteful with energy

Love the link!

David
__________________

__________________
Greasepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:40   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
Maine Sail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maine
Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Posts: 3,060
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelifenomadik View Post
We installed some more solar panels and lithium batteries.

After much research we found the cheapest lithium batteries in USA. i though it would be helpful to share the info here.

I did not see any specifics on the Li battery install. Would you mind filling us in on how you are; charging, charge termination, how you protect from a LVE or HVE, what you are using for alt reg settings, how you balanced the bank, over current protection, what solar controller, voltage & cell level monitoring etc. etc...
__________________
Marine How To Articles
Maine Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:00   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,829
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasepower View Post
So I didn't see what charge controller you have?

I'm going from 550watt to 1000watt next Monday, installing a midnite 150 classic which can charge within the parameters of LIFEPO4 @96a max.

We are planning 1250ah from balqon, but we are a charter boat and are very wasteful with energy

Love the link!

David
You're going to love both the lithium cells AND the Midnite Solar 150.
I've got both of them in our home's backup system, and the 150 is very programmable.
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:31   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, CA
Boat: Morgan 382 #75
Posts: 1
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

I must have missed the link to the cheapest LiFePo4 batteries. Did you use a BMS?
__________________
jdenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:22   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,829
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

He said Balqon.
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:45   #7
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelifenomadik View Post
We installed some more solar panels and lithium batteries.

After much research we found the cheapest lithium batteries in USA. i though it would be helpful to share the info here.
Curious as to the batteries? The additional solar panels makes for a large total array but after reading some of your blog sounds like your son and his video games and computer usage will consume those watts.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 19:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 35
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
You're going to love both the lithium cells AND the Midnite Solar 150.
I've got both of them in our home's backup system, and the 150 is very programmable.

Awesome!

Thanks for reassuring me....I'm excited for the extra power.

Right now we eat 16-25ah without running our 12v watermaker...gotta have a deep freezer(6cu), galley fridge/freezer(7cu), beer freezer(4.5cu) and veggie locker(5.5cu)

550w covers my daily needs from sunup-sundown but gives little back to the batteries.
__________________
Greasepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 10:28   #9
Registered User
 
thelifenomadik's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Boat: Robertson&Caine Leopard 38
Posts: 41
Images: 26
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasepower View Post
So I didn't see what charge controller you have?

I'm going from 550watt to 1000watt next Monday, installing a midnite 150 classic which can charge within the parameters of LIFEPO4 @96a max.

We are planning 1250ah from balqon, but we are a charter boat and are very wasteful with energy

Love the link!

David
Sorry for late reply, been sailing and not much internet...

Have 2 charge controllers TriStar MPPT 60 amp and 45 amp. What you have should be more than enough but how many wats you are getting from solar panels/or engine?
__________________
www.thelifenomadik.com
thelifenomadik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 11:40   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Boat: Gulfstar
Posts: 24
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

I'm kinda lost! I didn't catch the lithium wave that came through this Cruisers Forum! I still use some of the OLD fashioned technology...batteries! Great lead acid batteries last a very long time....if properly cared for! My intro to with lithium battery usage, drills, lithium Dremel tools, have indicated "short lived"! Home Depot, still refuses to except dead lithium batteries, such as my two lithium powered hand tools to date 2014!

If lithium batteries are worthy, I'd like to hear more. In my opinion, lithium is no contest for lead acid...except for weight savings....such as on NASA missions.
__________________
Salty Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 12:14   #11
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Skipper View Post
I'm kinda lost! I didn't catch the lithium wave that came through this Cruisers Forum! I still use some of the OLD fashioned technology...batteries! Great lead acid batteries last a very long time....if properly cared for! My intro to with lithium battery usage, drills, lithium Dremel tools, have indicated "short lived"! Home Depot, still refuses to except dead lithium batteries, such as my two lithium powered hand tools to date 2014!

If lithium batteries are worthy, I'd like to hear more. In my opinion, lithium is no contest for lead acid...except for weight savings....such as on NASA missions.
Well Salty, you have missed the boat. Don't confuse the LiFePO4 prismatic cells we are using with other chemistry. A very well cared for lead bank will last 400 cycles going to 50% DOD while our lithium cells exceed 2000 cycles going to 80% DOD. Because of how they are rated, you will only need 1/2 the a-hr rating with lithium to give the same usable amps. If your a full time cruiser and on the hook most the time, no other battery is cheaper in the long run. No acid, corrosion, almost nil Peukert, minimal voltage sag under heavy loads and of course weight is just some more reasons to join the 21st century.

Lead is dead.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 12:35   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Boat: Gulfstar
Posts: 24
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Well Salty, you have missed the boat. Don't confuse the LiFePO4 prismatic cells we are using with other chemistry. A very well cared for lead bank will last 400 cycles going to 50% DOD while our lithium cells exceed 2000 cycles going to 80% DOD. Because of how they are rated, you will only need 1/2 the a-hr rating with lithium to give the same usable amps. If your a full time cruiser and on the hook most the time, no other battery is cheaper in the long run. No acid, corrosion, almost nil Peukert, minimal voltage sag under heavy loads and of course weight is just some more reasons to join the 21st century.

Lead is dead.
Thank you......I was looking for the next replacement battery bank. But my Rolls still refuse to give up their ghost! In fact, they are now older and still in service longer than the longest list of lithium usage to date....Go figure!
__________________
Salty Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 13:47   #13
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

I'll admit Rolls is about the best LA out there. Give me 18 months and I'll have greater than 2000 cycles. I cycle to 82% DOD 4 times a day on my lithium bank. I'm only on cycle 186 but no capacity change at this point.

How many cycles and to what depth do you have on the Rolls? Also, what is the typical C on those cycles? I'm pulling 0.41 C on my cycles.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 16:41   #14
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Skipper View Post
Thank you......I was looking for the next replacement battery bank. But my Rolls still refuse to give up their ghost! In fact, they are now older and still in service longer than the longest list of lithium usage to date....Go figure!
How many discharge cycles are you subjecting them to, and how do you know " they refuse to give up the ghost " how are you monitoring capacity.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 17:35   #15
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Lithium betteries and solar panels

Hey Dave,

I can understand Salty's feeling towards his Rolls batteries. Before lithium I used them in stand alone off grid homes. I have used (24) 1200 a-hr 2 volt cells in series for a 48 volt house bank. The home owner got 12 years of service but generally cycled only to 10%~ 30% DOD.

That was 1 1/2 tons of batteries and back then cost almost $10K for a 57 kw/hr bank.

Today the same usable a-hr could be done with (16) 300 a-hr LiFePO4 cells at a weight of 370 lbs and half the cost of the Rolls. Big difference between 3000 lbs of lead vs. 370 lbs.
__________________

__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.