Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 04:42   #1

Boat: Boatless
Link 10 Problem

I have set up my Link 10 to indicate that my battery bank is 420 Amps, but when the bank is fully charged, the indicator says that I have 255 hours left in it. I have triple checked that the Link 10 has 420 Amps as my battery bank but I still get the 255 hour number as hours left when charged.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this? Thanks in advance for your help.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 05:47   #2

Boat: Ontario32
Re: Link 10 Problem

I have the link 10 installed with a similar bank size. If you do not have the installation manual you can download it. There are 2 versions of this amp hour monitor but in either case the count down will max out at 255. I have not found this to be a problem, it is an indication of the hours left in your bank at full charge and your current rate of discharge. My documentation is on the boat covered in ice so I cant get any clearer. There will be a follower who will give you a more technical response. 225 is the max you will see.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 05:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Newer Link 10 Manual (Xantrex) ➥ http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Dis...1_rev-A%29.pdf

Older Link 10 Manual (Cruising Equipment Co.) ➥ http://www.myersmotors.com/Manual/20981.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 05:56   #4

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

I believe that's the maximum number it displays, 255, and goes down from there. That is the time you have left in hours at the present battery drain, not the size of your battery bank. It will show CCC when it senses bank is full SOC. You do need to set your bank size into Link 10 settings.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 07:23   #5

Boat: Boatless

Thank you for your input.

I'm a bit challenged when it comes to these things, so let me just make sure I've got it. The Link 10 will show 255 hours even if there are more than 255 hours available at the current rate of discharge because that is the max number in the system. Do I then assume that it will start to show less than 255 only once we discharge to that level?

Also, in that I have 420 Amps house system and I want to charge at the 50% discharge level, do I use the "hours left" indicator to tell me when to fire up the engine and if so at what number?

Thank again for your help.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 07:28   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post

I'm a bit challenged when it comes to these things, so let me just make sure I've got it. The Link 10 will show 255 hours even if there are more than 255 hours available at the current rate of discharge because that is the max number in the system. Do I then assume that it will start to show less than 255 only once we discharge to that level?

Also, in that I have 420 Amps house system and I want to charge at the 50% discharge level, do I use the "hours left" indicator to tell me when to fire up the engine and if so at what number?

Let's keep this simple. Begin to charge when the battery voltage gets to 12.15V - 12.2V with your average house loads running.

Ah counters are very, very difficult to keep accurate for SOC even for the most skilled users. Easiest to just keep it simple and don't let bank voltage drop below 12.15V - 12.2V, unless you are running big DC loads.
Old 26-03-2016, 11:43   #7

Learning how to use your Link 10 is not all that hard. This is a LOT of reading but explains how they work. You NEED to learn this stuff. None of us were born electricians.

For everyone installing a battery monitor: The "Gotcha Algorithm" thread, a "MUST READ"

Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!

DEFAULTS are factory settings that are made to be modified to suit your setup.

Also read this one:

Programming a Battery Monitor (by Maine Sail)

Programming A Battery Monitor Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 12:14   #8

255 is the max hours the unit shows. and I belive will show that under charge as well

this is the number of hours left before the battery dies with what you are running at that exact moment.

it will go up and down as you turn loads on and off (avgered over a few mins)

do not confuse hours with amp hours. they are different. so is amps.

you battery is 420 amp hours. not amps.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 12:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post

the hours is just a covenance thing, and is probably not often used. if you pull 420amps from the battery (big inverter) it will last an hour.. and the meter will show an hour. even if full.

if you are drawing 4.2 amps (few lights on) it'll show 100 hours left. when the battery is full...

it should have a amp hour window no? when it's at -210, you're at 50%.

the display probably has has volts, amps, amp hour, time remaining. it's the amp hours you would be mainly using the gauge for.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote