Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 17:28   #1

Link 10 and AGM batteries

I have just installed a new (old) Link10. My house battery is a new AGM 180 aH. What settings should I be using on the link 10 in order to show the correct SOC? I have set the Amp Hours on the Link, but how about the other settings? My charger is a Freedom 30 that is set to AGM battery type.
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 17:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Link 10 and AGM batteries

You need the Peukert Exponent value based on the brand and model of the battery. A lower number is better. A good AGM will have a low number (slightly more than 1.0).

The bigger issue is your alternator regulator needs to be set up for AGM too. Screwing up the charging profiles will really trash an AGM battery fast. Not having the alternator regulation right to would be costly. The Freedom is fine for shore power charging even if not perfection. These days AGM's cost too much to screw that up. Done properly the lower internal resistance will allow a faster charge from the alternator. The Freedom is faster too but when docked and plugged in - who cares? The "potential" AGM payout is fewer engine hours to recharge the battery because the alternator can work at a higher amp rate longer. The low maintenance is also a bump for you too.

The common problem with AGM is poor charging. They really won't tolerate it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 18:12   #3

Thanks for the speedy reply. I am using a Balmar 110 amp alternator with a ARS external regulator. It is, of course, set to AGM battery type. I am concerned that although all four led's come on on the link 10, the far right one never flashes to indicate a fully charged battery. I have reset the Link as shown in the manual.
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 18:34   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Link 10 and AGM batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply. I am using a Balmar 110 amp alternator with a ARS external regulator. It is, of course, set to AGM battery type. I am concerned that although all four led's come on on the link 10, the far right one never flashes to indicate a fully charged battery. I have reset the Link as shown in the manual.
Fascinating. I use an Link 10 with a Balmar 110, and when I switched to AGM batteries the first thing I noticed is that the far right LED rarely ever flashed after shorepower charging, unlike my previous wet cells.

Tags
agm, battery