Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2014, 05:09   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Lightweight Simple Portable Generator/ Battery Charger??? Ideas???

I have 2 8 horse outboards. They good news is that the yamaha puts out nearly 8 amps at higher rpm which is the same as the honda EU on the 12V circuit. Certainly wouldn't want to sit on the hook with the thing running like that, but would be an OK backup.

That's the main thing with solar, no backup on say a cloudy week.

I saw a YouTube thing where a guy used a weed wacker onto a small outboard flywheel and coil. A total custom setup and he only used like a 2 horse flywheel so output was small, but maybe if you got a flywheel from say a 25 horse.

I did see that 55 amp gen 1 thing, but at $1,000 it a tough sell for me. I think all these little trashpump motors are all pretty noisy.
Old 17-10-2014, 06:27   #17

Boat: Spirit 28
Lightweight Simple Portable Generator/ Battery Charger??? Ideas???

Costco sells these:

http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-...100121916.html

Might be a worthwhile option.
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 11:59   #18

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

You can do like i'm going to try ? I found a small 2 stroke , 950w ,120v AC , W / Breaker , 12v DC trickle charger , GAG GENERATOR $ 129.99 + $ 19.95 SHIPPING . ( Eastern Steel ) brand . Bought from; Heartland AMERICA , catalog . I haven't tried mine yet , but it looks very well built . I also bought a NOCO gen 4 smart battery charger 10Amp x 4 $ 320.00 . But you could get away with a small NOCO Smart charger for around $ 50.00 . I will strap my Generator to the bow , it seems like 40 LBs not real heavy . If its to loud i'll figure some kind of water muffler hose . My generator looks like that $ 999.99 ONE , But for $ 850.00 less . good luck with what ever you try .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 18:15   #19

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

I agree with a lot of the other responses. If you're looking at the honda, go for the 2000. it's double the output and with an appropriate battery charger you won't need to run it as long and annoy your neighbours. Additionally it sips fuel. we added ours last year and love it. it's great to have the emergency power.
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 09:43   #20

Boat: Coronado 32' sloop

I see more honda 2000's then any other generator out there. I went with a cheap gnerator from Harbor Freight and got what I paid for. I have a Champion 2000 now, which is actually 1,500. It runs my coffee pot and microwave and is really quiet. I also have a shore charger that is a direct plug in and is always the best. My solar system is also a great system to keep batteries fully charged, (3 to 5 amps consistantly). I think the Honda 2,000 ia the best way to go. The Champion may be a good choice as well. but requires more space. Good luck and good sailing
davidgearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 10:00   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
The yamaha ef2000is is similar to the Honda eu2000 of comparable specs and quality. The yamaha is cheaper, has a fuel gauge, and fuel shutoff control, which enables you to run the carb dry without an empty fuel tank (for storage). It also is nicer styled, IMHO.

I'm not saying it's better, only because I don't want get into arguments. I'm saying its a good choice. I've owned one about 5 years, and it's holding up well.
The Yamaha 2000 can not start some loads that the Honda 2000 can.
For example the Honda can easily start the 1.0hp motor on our Watermakers...but the Yamaha can't do it. The electronics of the Yamaha sees the capacitor start motor as a short and trips the Yamaha off. So once again the saying hold true...sometimes you do get what you pay for and there is a reason most cruisers that carry a portable generator carry a Honda.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 11:17   #22

Boat: Cal 2-27

You might consider the Ryobi 2200 inverter generator. They are quiet, and seem to be a lot of value for the money. At a bit more than five boat bucks, you really can't go wrong.

Ryobi 2,200-Watt Green Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYI2200 at The Home Depot
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 11:29   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Honda 1000 and iota 30 amp charger
Honda 2000 and iota 75 amp charger

You will be very happy with either

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 15:47   #24

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Honda 1000 and iota 30 amp charger
Honda 2000 and iota 75 amp charger
What Scott says. I've read good stuff about the Iota. Perfect combo, IMHO, although the Honda 1000 can power a larger charger. My 1000 pushes a 35 amp charger and slows down to do it. Could run a 40 amp for sure and maybe a 45.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:39   #25

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Bank View Post
You might consider the Ryobi 2200 inverter generator. They are quiet, and seem to be a lot of value for the money. At a bit more than five boat bucks, you really can't go wrong.

Ryobi 2,200-Watt Green Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYI2200 at The Home Depot
I guess it depends on how loaded it is.

A Sea Ray next to us this summer tried to run their air conditioner all night on that exact model. While running loaded it sounded like more like a leaf blower than a generator. The only thing that saved us is that it crapped out after the first night and would never start again. He pulled his guts out and could not restart it. Even asked me if I knew any tricks to get it started. I politely said no.

More solar is best but if you must buy a generator get a Honda. That way your neighbors wont hate your guts.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
Costco sells these:

http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-...100121916.html

Might be a worthwhile option.
Yes, since the Hondas have been so popular, a few companies have stepped up and built very similar gens at much lower cost. At this point I would be tempted to try one of the more reputable ones for the difference... especially if I was just going on a short term cruise like the OP.
Going longer I would likely go with the Honda if not a diesel gen.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
This one uses Honda engine. 55 amp 12v DC.

ALTEN USA, Inc.

I have never seen or used one of these myself.

Steve

Or this! Pretty darn cool.... and simple... no belts, no battery charger, no cooling system! 26 lb!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 18:11   #28

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
I guess it depends on how loaded it is.

A Sea Ray next to us this summer tried to run their air conditioner all night on that exact model. While running loaded it sounded like more like a leaf blower than a generator. The only thing that saved us is that it crapped out after the first night and would never start again. He pulled his guts out and could not restart it. Even asked me if I knew any tricks to get it started. I politely said no.

More solar is best but if you must buy a generator get a Honda. That way your neighbors wont hate your guts.
As with everything, both good an examples exist. A friend of ours has one aboard his Catalina and swears by it.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 16:50   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Ok, I just ordered an 800 watt Earthquake 800w generator from amazon. Meets my 2 original requirements at 21lbs and $250. It's a Chinese one, but well reviewed and something of a cult item for the prepper crowd. I have to imagine most of the .honda parts come from China as well if the final assembly is still done in Japan.

Anyway, I'm still short of the charging bit and I guess that IOTA charger is well reviewed. I checked the specs and the 30 amp iota is listed at 7amps AC which would be real inefficient and certain in more than the 800 watt (peak) gen can provide. Ideally, I need a 25 watt charger or a user adjustable charger.

Ideas? cheers, jeff
Old 23-10-2014, 20:02   #30

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Anyway, I'm still short of the charging bit and I guess that IOTA charger is well reviewed. I checked the specs and the 30 amp iota is listed at 7amps AC which would be real inefficient and certain in more than the 800 watt (peak) gen can provide. Ideally, I need a 25 watt charger or a user adjustable charger.

Ideas? cheers, jeff
Jeff, the Iota DLS-30 Series M battery charger will work with your 800 watt generator. When you order it be certain to tell them you also want the IQ4 Smart Charger included with it. This is the "smart charger" device that will charge your house bank properly.

It is also possible to buy the charger with the "smart" feature already built in. Best to call Iota at 1-800-866-4682 for any questions about suitability and correct order numbers. I think you will be happy with your choice of chargers, maybe not so much with your choice of generators.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, generator