Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 14:06   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
LiFePO4 Source - USA

I've been thinking about what house bank I want to have on the boat when starting LTC (Long term cruising) next year.

Currently I have a set of 4 Winston 700 AH LiFePO4 cells in my house bank. Options abound - One of the cells does not quite track the others as close as I would like so one option is to get a replacement cell and put it in the bank. This of course leaves the bank as a single point of failure that is mitigated with the "spare" cell.

Another option would be to replace the bank with one based on 400 AH cells. If that option was selected I would likely opt for 800 AH (at 12 volts) for the house bank. Then if a cell was lost there would be the chance to run at half capacity (400 AH) that would be plenty. Of course there is the option to put in 3 sets....

I've been looking at sources for cells on the web, specifically looking for a West Coast USA vendor who would take care of all the import and QA stuff.

Voltronix comes to mind.

This thread could be used to publish Success stories for LiFePO4 purchases in the USA and to coordinate "group buys" of cells.

As an example when I get around to buying assuming that I go through Voltronix in Southern California I would be happy to drive down there and pick up my cells and any others that were purchased and meet up anywhere along I5 up to the Seattle area. ( the length I might go to save shipping....)

Anyway, just a thought.

Feel free to post where you got your cells.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifepo4