Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.47 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 03:19   #391

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: LiFePO4 Batteries - Okay Tear Me Apart ;-)

I'm sure the advice on the fridges is right in as far as it goes as all I have read indicates insulation makes the biggest difference. However, you have domestic appliances so can get new ones with a A++ rating. If I had them in my boat, which I can't do as mine are all built in with only limited opportunity for insulation improvements, I would use half the power I currently use. Given that is probably half what you use, you might quarter your consumption from the best new fridge/freezers.

I also have an ice maker (recently broken). It used a massive 150A/day@12v. Only used on the dock because of that and now I am making enough ice in the freezer, so I probably will sling it. A better way to go if you use a lot of ice is to build and ice maker module into an efficient freezer. Will use virtually no extra power. A big chunk off your usage.

I would keep electric power for cooking. I'd love to get rid of my gas oven. I worry about leaks and the boat blowing up. I worry about running out and the hassle of filling up. I have maintenance on the pipes and tanks to do. I have space taken that could do other things and a bit of unnecessary weight too. Induction stove tops are very efficient and use less power than gas in diesel generated equivalent. Modern insulated, fully sealed ovens are also pretty efficient. Use max power of 2.2kw and use maybe 60A@12v/hr, so maybe 0.2lt diesel into the genset for an hour of oven time. Not much. I'm think it is the way to go with a largish battery bank and sufficient generation as we both have.

If it is all worth while is another question. I wouldn't do it unless things broke and needed doing anyway, but if you are living aboard full time for many years to come then the savings will make the kit pay its way.

Getting the power use right down might mean you can move to solar solely. Or it will also impact the genset size and when you replace it you might halve its output. That will have a huge effect on fuel use, so multiplying the savings.

Good luck with the LFP project. Mine are delivered, but not yet installed. I'm hope they will be good.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 00:03   #392
McG

Boat: Nissan 9m Motorhome
Re: LiFePO4 Batteries - Major saving!

Here's another 2c worth - although, to me, it was more like $20000 worth in the long run.
My biggest power drain is from the fridge/freezer . I was unhappy with its performance so I had the gas checked. That was within spec. What I did next, I timed it. It ran for approx 12 to 14min and stopped for approx 14min. I had a gut feel that something was wrong. I fitted a small 60mm x 60mm computer fan 12v 0.26A to blow directly onto the compressor. I wired it to run with the main fan. I timed it again.........7 minutes on, 15 minutes off!!
That's a MAJOR saving of 50%. Now I'm happy as Larry!!
I hope it works for you too!
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 03:52   #393

Boat: DeFever 44
I already did something similar. Our 2 fridges are mounted undercounter, but unlike the ice maker, had no real provision for air circulation. So the space behind them, even though pretty large and was passively ventilated got very warm. I added a couple of muffin fans to actively ventilate the space anytime either of the fridges compressors is running. I know it helped, but don't have any before and after measurements.
ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:53   #394

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
So 2-3 years later, any updates from the people who are using the li batteries?
OK, another couple of years later. There are now LiPo batteries that are "drop in replacements" for regular batteries. - ALL PURPOSE BATTERIES PTY LTD Is an Australian supplier where I can get a 100ah battery for $1500 including postage. That is about 2.5 times the price of 200ah agm, many more cycles, much less weight etc. Does anyone have any real life experience with these? Should I buy one?
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:09   #395

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

With 600AH of LifEPO4 we now do most of our cooking with :- two induction hobs, one InstantPOT cooker/and pressure cooker, one rice cooker and a Microwave. Sadly it has been a bit cloudy recently so the 100+ AH we are down in the morning is not put back by our 470W of solar so we are thinking of adding two 155W solar panels and getting our Rutland 913 Wind Generator back up to keep the need for running the Honda 2000 down to emergency only. We have a 'spare' 200W of LIFEPO4 that we will add ASAP but we need to get another BMS and Cell modules from Ausie land before we can do that.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:19   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsbillc View Post
The U.S. is currently going through a drywall scandal with Chinese product, following almost continual lead paint in children's toys, and of course the melamine. I need little convicing that a Chinese product is often inferior. It is not always inferior though, and Chris is right to ask the question.

Aside from the quality of the product though, you can be pretty certain that the Chinese factory adheres to very low environmental standards, which, together with low salaries for the workers, accounts for most of the cost differential. It is almost certainly NOT inneficiency in the German plant, or a desire for vast profits - buy Chinese and the price differential is paid for by the environment.
I am another who NEEDS NO CONVINCING about Chinese made crap. I refuse to buy anything made, assembled, grown or processed in the Peoples Republic of China.

Why you ask?? I was pumped full of tainted (because of the the unsanitary way the pigs were raised and kept) Chinese Heparin for four (4) days while waiting for a triple bypass. That was a month before the the FDA (asleep at the switch as usual) banned it as it resulted in more than 88 deaths in the USA alone, not to mention the horrible side effects.

It took me five (5) years to finally overcome what that crap did to my body. So I will go to extreme lengths to buy from other than Chinese made/imported anything. That's exactly why I am buying my anchors from Down Under!

And those of you who will be buying shrimp for Christmas parties has best Google "Chinese shrimp" - full of antibiotics because of how they are raised. The big box stores sell almost exclusively shrimp imported from China.

Want to read more about Chinese Heparin? Here it is
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifepo4, battery