Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 21:18   #3856
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 13m aluminium sloop
Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread for Those Using Them as House Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Temperature compensation, on the other hand, is a term that relates to correcting the output voltage according to ambient temperature."
Although, as I've heard the term used, the question is very much not ambient temperature, but the temperature of the battery/bank itself.
"Built-in alternator regulators cannot (and do not) do this, as they can't sense ambient in the environment they operate in."
If no one is doing it yet--that doesn't mean it can't be done. Just that they haven't felt a need to spend the extra buck on parts yet.

Very interesting that lithiums don't need thermal compensation though. In all the messages and all the propaganda, ergh, ah, DATA sheets I've read, I hadn't seen that mentioned before.
Ambient vs battery temperature, yes, fair comment. But if you operate lithiums at a conservative C-rate and stop charging at the beginning of the upper knee, battery temperature will remain pretty close to ambient due to the extremely low internal resistance.

When it comes to sensing ambient temperature inside an alternator, good luck. The air flow around it is more often at engine room temperature rather than anything else. No go, no matter how clever I am afraid.

The fact LiFePO4 data sheets don't specify temperature corrections for charging voltages means just that: no correction. I did research the matter a bit further however some time ago. It becomes a problem when equipment intended for lead-acid cells is used with lithium cells and this is another reason for staying away from gadgets. Same for solar regulators, many fancy ones compensate for temperature. In fact, the simplest, cheapest switching regulators often provide the best service here.
Lithiums are much easier to charge than lead-acid batteries, especially when the aim is ~90% SOC.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:19   #3857
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanSeaSpray View Post
the simplest, cheapest switching regulators often provide the best service here.
Lithiums are much easier to charge than lead-acid batteries, especially when the aim is ~90% SOC.
Bingo...the take away of the day!
K.I.S.S. doesn't sell high priced computer controlled gadgets!
I was at the Solar expo in San Francisco and also had all the big name LiFePO4 battery manufacturers there a few weeks ago and saw one BMS with a touch screen computer display, ethernet capable, and they are working on an App for the IPhone and IPad....really...ha ha ha
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 03:15   #3858

... am am planning to use a Kilovac relay on my soon to be installed 400Ah Winston house bank.

I see that the EV200 is available with auxiliary contacts (could be an advantage for further signaling):

Product Comparison for High Voltage Relays - TE

Can someone comment on the used terminals (not familiar what a 'Stud terminal' is - Coil Leads vs. Stud Terminal for instance?)

Coil leads = wires coming out of the relay?
Stud terminal = ?

Thanks!

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 03:16   #3859
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Y
I've had similar gizmos (Esselte/Dymo) produce labels that literally turn black in the heat, but the Brother apparently is different material, and they make specific cartridges for wire labels, extra durable, extra flexible, extra heat resistant. If you can get that there, a bit pricey but a very nice long term solution.

As an honorary Scotsman, I'll say the Brother P-Touch is worth whatever it costs you.
We (DYMO) make plastic and rubber labels of industrial strength. The ones you mention are meant to be used in office environments.

The industrial Rhino series has rubber, vinyl, polyester and plastic tapes that are extremely durable. The D1 series also has plastic ones. In fact, Geomar (a German company that does ocean research) has let us know that these D1 tapes last for years at depths of 6,000 m and weeks under equatorial sun or -80 degrees in the north (one can only wonder how long the industrial ones can survive).

^CM
DYMOsupport
DYMOsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 03:32   #3860

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
... am am planning to use a Kilovac relay on my soon to be installed 400Ah Winston house bank.

I see that the EV200 is available with auxiliary contacts (could be an advantage for further signaling):

Product Comparison for High Voltage Relays - TE

Can someone comment on the used terminals (not familiar what a 'Stud terminal' is - Coil Leads vs. Stud Terminal for instance?)

Coil leads = wires coming out of the relay?
Stud terminal = ?

Thanks!

Carsten
Stud terminal means there is a threaded rod (stud) that you put a ring lug terminal on and then a nut threads onto the stud to secure the lug. Coil leads just means the coil that activates the relay has a length of wire coming out of the relay. You have to terminate these 2 wires somewhere as there is no termination screw on the relay itself.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 11:04   #3861
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dymo, it is nice to know you make something better. On the US consumer market, the "Esselte" name is likely to bring about "Huh?" from everyone except graphic artists though, and DYMO still gets instant recognition for those 1960's raised-lettering tapes. I've never noticed any other Esselte/Dymo product on the consumer market, and sadly the "P-touch"-like product doesn't seem to make any warning about "use on cold surfaces only". The warmth generated by my computer, an office-environment product, was enough to turn labels on it black and illegible in a short (18 month? two year?) span.

I'm not sure, but I don't think operating the computer at 6000m below sea level would have really helped. Customer support never suggested that one to me, I'll have to try it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 03:34   #3862
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Dymo, it is nice to know you make something better. On the US consumer market, the "Esselte" name is likely to bring about "Huh?" from everyone except graphic artists though, and DYMO still gets instant recognition for those 1960's raised-lettering tapes. I've never noticed any other Esselte/Dymo product on the consumer market, and sadly the "P-touch"-like product doesn't seem to make any warning about "use on cold surfaces only". The warmth generated by my computer, an office-environment product, was enough to turn labels on it black and illegible in a short (18 month? two year?) span.

I'm not sure, but I don't think operating the computer at 6000m below sea level would have really helped. Customer support never suggested that one to me, I'll have to try it.
Thank you for the feedback. It seems that what you had was a LW label. They react to light and heat, this is how text is transferred onto them (it is burned).

What I had in mind were D1 tapes. Since posting commercial links here is not allowed, it is best if you contact us so we can send you a sample and you can give it a go.

^CM
DYMOsupport
DYMOsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 10:58   #3863
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dymo, thank you for the offer but I have since given away the Esselte label maker and switched to a Brother. I have no idea if those other tapes would have worked in it, but since it has found a new home, that's a moot point.
Old 22-08-2014, 07:20   #3864

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Hey thread gone quiet?

Well i just received 50 pounds of 4/0 wire , and the Mastech bench power supply/charger should be here today as well, this company was great to deal with, and very fast shipping . Using this for initial balancing of the cells .

Also have braided cell connectors coming from EVworks in Australia , I think I will have to wait a bit for them to get here.

But install is moving ahead.

Mastech Power Supply - Best Deals on Variable Power Supplies (Powered by CubeCart)

home

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 11:25   #3865

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 421

CALB bus bars - are they truly up to the task?

I just received my order of 12 X 180 AH cells and bus bars, and the bars look awfully light to me. Before I install them on my boat in a 12 V 540 AH 3P4S configuration, I am looking for a second opinion and am hoping somebody in this group can help me. The bus bars are copper, 0.5 mm thick X 22 mm wide for a cross section of 11 mm², about the equivalent of 8 AWG wire. Frankly I am quite concerned about passing 300 amps thru these bars. Am I missing something? Thanks all.

As well, the HPBMS has no information regarding the current carrying capacity of the relay and alarm channels so I don't know if I need intermediate relays for the various alarms and solenoids, can anybody enlighten me? Thanks again. I'm getting very anxious to get these installed but can't get past these questions.
msmith132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 11:40   #3866
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

The Wiki shows your bus is somewhat thicker than a 7AWG equivalent, and while that is not rated to carry anywhere near that current, it also won't melt from it. Since there's no insulation to catch fire, it probably can do the job but with some significant heat during heavy charging. On the bright side, it would also work as a primary fuse in the event of a crowbar short. :-)
Old 25-08-2014, 10:40   #3867

Boat: Outremer 50S

.5mm thick? That's copper foil, not a bus bar

Electrical: Busbar - DC Copper Busbar Ampacities

shows 1/8" (~3mm) at 1" (25.4mm) for your current. [edit]DC likes skin, but still,[/edit] 0.5mm seems awfully light.

There's one second opinion, you can probably get a few more around here.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 10:45   #3868
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"DC likes skin,"
DC?? I thought that was AC that had a skin effect.
Old 25-08-2014, 10:48   #3869

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
"DC likes skin,"
DC?? I thought that was AC that had a skin effect.
absolutely correct, my fingers somehow got ahead of my brain, not sure where that came from.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 10:49   #3870
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"my fingers somehow got ahead of my brain,"
The Skin Effect.(G)
A familiar feeling.

Tags
battery, grass, lifepo4, LiFePO4 Batteries, sailing