Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 07:01   #556

Boat: DeFever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Good point Bob. The (8) 100 amp cells that are due to arrive this week I'll be using as (2) 12.8 volt batteries, one with a BMS and one without. Both will see the same type of service and I'll check each cell's voltage as regular maintenance just to see if BMS is needed for users that charge and discharge these cells properly.
Can you share your experience with Balqon?
ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:50   #557
jff

Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread for Those Using Them as House Banks

Still no progress here in Italy, in fact I think I've gone backwards.

Steyrs solution for 24v alternator to the monoblock 4 cylinder is to add an additional 24v alternator. From the diagrams it is a good install, exta pulley, brackets etc, Iskra's biggest, most robust alternator @ 150amps.

It wont fit in my engine box, and its ever so reasonably priced at a mere 6k euro, thats nearly US$8k.

The 12v bosch alternator that fitted (6036GB3048) is a pretty tight fit, so any replacement will have to conform to its dimensions, particularly given the mounts are fixed, ie it doesnt use the bottom mount as a pivot. I havent had any luck with the Italians, or the UK supliers to find a suitable replacement. My guess is that here is a Bosch alternator, or at least a rotor/stator/rectifier package that fits the housing, but getting the information is like pulling teeth.

Anyone got a useful catalog?
jff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 19:18   #558

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

Jff,

Here is some info on the 160A x 28V alternators we used on Telefonica, Camper, and may high-performance cruisers (also available as 250A x 14V). We used Genasun alt regs that are programmed for lithium.

Cheers,
Bruce
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:03   #559
jff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanPlanet View Post
Jff,

Here is some info on the 160A x 28V alternators we used on Telefonica, Camper, and may high-performance cruisers (also available as 250A x 14V). We used Genasun alt regs that are programmed for lithium.

Cheers,
Bruce
Thanks Bruce, they look the business, but unfortunately just wont fit. Steyr didnt leave much room around the alternator, and the builder didnt leave much room around the engine. The closest Ive got is a Bosch 0120469032 which I might be able to modify
Old 03-10-2012, 02:20   #560

It's looking seriously like the best option is the 12v PSW inverter to power the mains charger you already have. Link the 2 12v batteries together so both alternators can charge into it and power the inverter from there. Is there no answer to getting the 24v flywheel regulator fixed or replaced with something else?

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 22:34   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaugh View Post
Can you share your experience with Balqon?
My experience has so far been great you can see my blog for more info:
Work Blog

They were very flexible with payment and fast shippers. I only wished I had got the cells with the built in BMS. They released that product about a month after I made my order.
yamez4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 16:06   #562

Looks like an interesting project! Thanks for the feedback on Balqon. Please keep this thread current with your experiences.
Old 21-10-2012, 08:46   #563

Boat: Lagoon 440

Hi all we are back in CROATIA after visiting the grandkids for three weeks, now the projects start and i'd like comment on the following prior to immediate purchase and installation over winter.

Totally appreciate all previous comment and would like to get final guidance and suggestions.

1) I have a BEP Monitor.
2) Will be fitting 850 watts of solar.
3) Existing Dolphin 80 amp charger.
4) Will fit 130 amp alternators on the Volvo main engines i'm told they have adjustable regulators.

Cheers Frank.

1. 4 pcs of battery cells WB-LYP700AHA
EV-Power | WB-LYP700AHA LiFeYPO4 (3.2V/700Ah)

2. 4 pcs of Terminal connectors for 700Ah cells
EV-Power | Terminal connectors for WB-LYP700AHA

3. 1 pc CellLog8 for for visual monitoring battery voltage
EV-Power | Cell Logger 8 cells / 1 battery (USB port)

4. 1 pc SBM control module SBM04/60 for disconnector used as
protection against discharge or overcharge
EV-Power | Simple Battery Management Board 4 cells (12V/60A)
Old 21-10-2012, 09:04   #564
jff

Hi Frank

I looked at "simple battery management" from EV when I was purchasing my cells. I dont think that it will suit your installation, given its 60A rating. From the website:
"Please observe the maximal current of the pack including the peak currents when starting or connecting the equipment.
Note: the balancing currents of the SBM boards are very low (only few milliamps), this means it is not possible to balance large capacity cells. We suggest using additional CBU modules to increase the balancing current of the cells."

The other thing you will need unless you already have one, is a method for having your 2 alternators play nicely together while charging one bank, something like a Balmar Centerfielder, will do the job, and i think it would be wise to have a temp sensor on the alternators as well.

cheers

John
Old 21-10-2012, 09:23   #565

Yes i agree about the rating i've asked them if they have better i'm awaiting their response.
I read about the centre fielder i think it's new and both alternators go through it?
What is the temp sensor about? Is their risk of over heating with high outputs?

Cheers
Old 21-10-2012, 09:57   #566
jff

The centrefielder ensures that both alternators do their fair share of work. Without one there is the risk that one regulator sees the voltage from the other and decides there is nothing to do, so shuts down. The temp sensor is to keep your alternators at a safe operating tmperature. On a previous boat I had a Balmar 160A alternator that would start reducing its output after about 30 min of hard running, and thats with nothing like the load 700ah of lithium will produce.

The "other" supplier in europe who seems to be competitive is Introduction You could use 8 of the GBS 200ah, increase your capacity and save a little at the same time. The pack will take a little more room depending how you intend to orient them, but at least with 8 cells, if you have one go bad, you will still have 50% of your capacity. With 4 cells, one goes and you have 0%
Old 21-10-2012, 09:59   #567

You may be able to use the alarm output of the CellLog8 to disconnect the bank for over/under voltage. I'm not sure it will directly drive a solenoid though. The one you want to probably use is the Tyco EV200 or Blu Seas 9012 which takes 3.8A inrush to close, but only .13A to stay closed. Maybe someone knows if the CellLog will do this directly or have suggestion for a low power relay to drive the solenoid.

But don't forget to allow for what happens if the bank is disconnected while the engines are running.
Old 21-10-2012, 11:58   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff View Post
The centrefielder ensures that both alternators do their fair share of work. Without one there is the risk that one regulator sees the voltage from the other and decides there is nothing to do, so shuts down. The temp sensor is to keep your alternators at a safe operating tmperature. On a previous boat I had a Balmar 160A alternator that would start reducing its output after about 30 min of hard running, and thats with nothing like the load 700ah of lithium will produce.

The "other" supplier in europe who seems to be competitive is Introduction You could use 8 of the GBS 200ah, increase your capacity and save a little at the same time. The pack will take a little more room depending how you intend to orient them, but at least with 8 cells, if you have one go bad, you will still have 50% of your capacity. With 4 cells, one goes and you have 0%
Wouldn't 8 x 200 amp units give me a total of 400 amps @ 12.8volt whereas 4 @ 700 amps will give me 700amps @ 12.8 volts?

I understand it would give me redundancy though which is a thought.

Cheers
Old 21-10-2012, 12:09   #569
jff

Sorry I meant the 400ah, which they are selling for US$440 vs USD$1012 for the 700ah, freight needs to be added in both cases, and how much of a rush you are in
Old 21-10-2012, 12:36   #570

Quote:
You may be able to use the alarm output of the CellLog8 to disconnect the bank for over/under voltage. I'm not sure it will directly drive a solenoid though. The one you want to probably use is the Tyco EV200 or Blu Seas 9012 which takes 3.8A inrush to close, but only .13A to stay closed. Maybe someone knows if the CellLog will do this directly or have suggestion for a low power relay to drive the solenoid.
Quote:

But don't forget to allow for what happens if the bank is disconnected while the engines are running.

The cell logger can not drive a relay coil directly but a kit is available from J Car that incorporates an opto coupler and drives a 30 amp relay. This kit was developed from a project in Silicon Chip magazine back in Nov 2006, the kit number is KC5434. Jaycar are fairly well known in Australia but I don't know about the rest of the world so it maybe an on line thing.
The other thing that may be worth thinking about is adding an extra loud alarm to the cell logger port. A very clever and inventive member of our RV lithium group, JP, came up with the idea of using a simple smoke alarm powered by it's own 9v battery, the logger alarm port wire are simply soldered across the test button contacts.
As ebaugh mentioned, cutting the charging circuit from the alternators without having somewhere for it to go will destroy the rectifier diodes in the alternators. A safety method would be to run the alternators through the lead acid start batteries first and then on to the lithium battery pack but the start battery charging voltage would need to be higher than 13.8v or not enough current will flow to make it worth while. This only becomes an issue if the location of the start batteries will get them hot while the engines are running, keep them cool and they can handle 14.4v all day.

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, grass, lifepo4, LiFePO4 Batteries, sailing