Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2015, 08:55   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: LiFePo or Carbon Foam AGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
All I can say is that Bruce gave me some of the best (if not THE best) service I have had in the marine industry.
From what I have seen and heard, I would expect nothing else from Bruce. Top notch!

Old 17-12-2015, 09:12   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I got my LiFePo4 cells from BalQuon. Certainly cheaper to "roll your own" system. But, They now offer a packaged solution with BMS and Contactor included:

Balqon Electric Vehicle Manufacturer

$2950.USD for 5KW (400AH) that's a lot less than some other vendors.

Cheers,
JM.
Thanks for posting JM. Does it appear that the wiring, connectors, case are marine-environment ready, i.e. corrosion resistant?

Old 17-12-2015, 09:15   #63

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
I got my LiFePo4 cells from BalQuon. Certainly cheaper to "roll your own" system. But, They now offer a packaged solution with BMS and Contactor included:

Balqon Electric Vehicle Manufacturer

$2950.USD for 5KW (400AH) that's a lot less than some other vendors.

Cheers,
JM.
Have you actually ordered from them. Do a little searching. The forums and Facebook are full of people who ordered and never received their product. Balqon wouldn't respond to phone calls or e-mails and many customers had to resort to the credit card company to get their money back.

EDIT - Sorry I read that you did actually order from them. You might be one of the lucky ones that got prodcut, ontime.
Old 17-12-2015, 09:26   #64

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Thanks for posting JM. Does it appear that the wiring, connectors, case are marine-environment ready, i.e. corrosion resistant?
I do not own the package in the picture.

I just bought 4*400AH cells from them.
Mine are packaged in a plywood box with a lid (drip-proof).
I have the main fuse mounted to the box, but the BMS and contactor are remote.

I would certainly suggest a lid be added to the Balquon package.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 17-12-2015, 17:37   #65

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
I do not own the package in the picture.

I just bought 4*400AH cells from them.
Mine are packaged in a plywood box with a lid (drip-proof).
I have the main fuse mounted to the box, but the BMS and contactor are remote.

I would certainly suggest a lid be added to the Balquon package.

Cheers,
JM.
FUNNY THAT you bought the product yet 'others' say you cant do that and that they never deliver.......I Bought 32 200AH TS cells and now have installed 12 600AH with 4 cells 200AH spare. The rest 16 cells 800Ah went on a Catamaran

We left Highland Fling last April on the hard in St Martin on return in November the batteries were sitting at 13V After almost a year now the cell out of balance voltage is .001V measured constantly using an R/C Cell logger and confirmed by a top of the range FLUKE DVM Now I know i cant 'really' measure cell voltages unless it is either top or bottom balanced but in my world that sort of cell matched voltage over three sperate 12V 200 AH LIFePO4 batteries is somewhat amazing These are 200AH cells so the batteries are simply four cells in series, each 12v battery individually controlled.

The ONLY ajustment I have made to my charging i(previously three 14 year old 4D GEL Batteries) is to stop equalisation on my mains chargers and to tune the cut off voltages on the two Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000E solar controllers. Which was rather time consuming waiting for a sunny day when the solar was able to fully charge the batteries........when i say fully charge I mean take the batteies to a safe charged voltage significantly below the fully charged knee voltage that actually is 100% charged.

I love these LIFePO4 batteries my house bank sits at 13+ volts day and night
I have removed the engine must be running anchor windlass cut out relay and we can now sail off the anchor without starting the engine.

We cook with electricity now without any issues or stressed Inverters screaming as the voltage sags to 10V or less.

Would I go back to LA in any shape or form......somehow I don't think so.

IF we were selling Highland Fling and the LIFePO4 batteries were an issue for any purchaser I would for sure remove them and put them on my next boat {most likely a Lagoon 440 /450 Catamaran),

LIFePO4 is OLD tech now, new for boats yes and far safer than LA, more powerful, lighter and modular, with a longer lifespan and a love of being dischared hard and charged hard..without all the nonsense of depth of discharge being nothing like the labeled AH of the battery and your energy monitor telling you lies lies and more lies as it trys and fails to accurately measure the stae of charge of your LA batteries........whats not to like ? Why would you counsider 'another' 'NEW' form of LA battery that is unproven expensive and hard to sorce as well as still having many of the problems and issues that all LA batteries have.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 18:11   #66

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
FUNNY THAT you bought the product yet 'others' say you cant do that and that they never deliver.......I Bought 32 200AH TS cells and now have installed 12 600AH with 4 cells 200AH spare. The rest 16 cells 800Ah went on a Catamaran
Are you saying you bought Balquon cells? If so, how long ago? How long did it take to get them.

Its not just 'others'.. there is someone right now on a Facebook group reporting the exact same thing. They ordered, paid, waited 2 months and nothing. They have called, e-mailed and no one gets back to them.

Tags
agm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: