Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2012, 09:06   #16

Re: Lifeline AGM's Fully Charged Voltage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
frank-
"Some other Lifeline AGM owners have spoken of full resting voltages "
Unless those folks are using calibrated volt meters, an error of up to .3-.4 volts has to be assumed in whatever numbers they are reading for voltages.

Fancy monitors and controllers are more likely to be more accurate, if they are using those.

So don't worry about vague field reports, use the voltages and temperatures provided by Lifeline.
True, enough, about both relying upon others accuracy in their readings and need to stay with manufacturers recommendations.

I have gotten some really good additional insights here, though, and for that I thank all who responded.

Old 31-05-2012, 01:18   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
......Unless those folks are using calibrated volt meters, an error of up to .3-.4 volts has to be assumed in whatever numbers they are reading for voltages.......
The difference between fully charged - 12.8 volts - and empty - 12.2 volts is only 0.6 volts, so you MUST have an accurate digital voltmeter.

Old 31-05-2012, 08:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglegend View Post
The difference between fully charged - 12.8 volts - and empty - 12.2 volts is only 0.6 volts, so you MUST have an accurate digital voltmeter.
Yes, essential, and why I'd spent the bigger bucks for a Fluke 179. Also, used it to determine and put correction factors taped onto my other two cheap meters.
Old 31-05-2012, 09:07   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankson View Post
For anyone with Lifeline AGM's, when new and you thought they were truly 100% fully charged,
what was your voltage, after they'd settled down for a number of hours with no load or charge?

I've got an OutBack FM80 charge controller with a lot of tweaking options and am trying to see
what might be highest resting voltage to be aiming for beyond Lifelines overly general standard
claim that "12.8V or more" is 100% SOC.

Thanks for any input!
When we set our system up, with solar and wind, I contacted Lifeline as to the algorithms of the batteries for charging through a TS 45 from morningstar, and the wheres to set the "dip" switches.. we have 10 each 4ds aboard.. we were told the battery was fully charged when resting voltage was 12.8 and at 50% when at 12.2.. ours have never dropped below 12.6
Old 31-05-2012, 09:15   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
When we set our system up, with solar and wind, I contacted Lifeline as to the algorithms of the batteries for charging through a TS 45 from morningstar, and the wheres to set the "dip" switches.. we have 10 each 4ds aboard.. we were told the battery was fully charged when resting voltage was 12.8 and at 50% when at 12.2.. ours have never dropped below 12.6
My god, Randy, you have "10 each 4ds aboard"?

That's 2,100 AH capacity on a Beneteau First 42!

What are you doing aboard to need that much capacity??? Is she converted to electric power?

Bill
Old 31-05-2012, 09:19   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankson View Post
Yes, essential, and why I'd spent the bigger bucks for a Fluke 179. Also, used it to determine and put correction factors taped onto my other two cheap meters.
Frank,

I use my Fluke 189 to calibrate my other cheap voltmeters (usually the Velleman's which cost $15-20 new). I just open them up, apply a 12V source, and tweak the internal pots to read exactly the same as the Fluke.

I've found that they actually retain this "12V accuracy" for a long time.

Avoids the need for a correction table :-)

And, I often give them to customers who -- horror of horrors -- don't even have a multimeter aboard.

Bill
Old 31-05-2012, 09:30   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
My god, Randy, you have "10 each 4ds aboard"?

That's 2,100 AH capacity on a Beneteau First 42!

What are you doing aboard to need that much capacity??? Is she converted to electric power?

Bill
no electric power.. but figuring the 2000 amp hours, there is only a portion of that , that is usable, and there is a method to my madness..
we started with 4 each.. but I burnt my windless motor .. found that with 40 feet of cable running from the house bank to the windless, the voltage dropped to about 9 volts, and you know what low voltage does to a motor.. so we added 2 each 4ds under the windless forward and tied in parallel using the windless cable..
then added the watermaker where the forward head once was, and mounted two more under the unit
and at last I added two more in the rear quarter to opperate the inverter system for any 110 I happen to need...
they all charge from a parallel line for charging.. and its been working fine for 9 years now.. totally off the grid..
Old 31-05-2012, 09:36   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
no electric power.. but figuring the 2000 amp hours, there is only a portion of that , that is usable, and there is a method to my madness..
we started with 4 each.. but I burnt my windless motor .. found that with 40 feet of cable running from the house bank to the windless, the voltage dropped to about 9 volts, and you know what low voltage does to a motor.. so we added 2 each 4ds under the windless forward and tied in parallel using the windless cable..
then added the watermaker where the forward head once was, and mounted two more under the unit
and at last I added two more in the rear quarter to opperate the inverter system for any 110 I happen to need...
they all charge from a parallel line for charging.. and its been working fine for 9 years now.. totally off the grid..
I understand your reasoning, Randy. Thanks for the explanation.

I hope they work for another nine years, because the $4,000 to $5,000 price for new batteries when the need arises ain't gonna be very pleasant, not to mention the back-breaking labor of removing and installing 10 4-D's :-)

Bill

Tags
agm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: