Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 15:41   #1

Boat: Beneteau 49
Lewmar bow thruster turns itself on

I’ve replaced the controller for my Lewmar bow thruster for the third time in the last two years - one quit working two weeks after I put it in and was warranted. It worked for a year or so and went erratic. I replaced it a week ago. Fifteen minutes after hooking up to a mooring ball today, the bow thruster starts on its own. I had to shut off the battery switch. What’s up with that?
scobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 16:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Lewmar bow thruster turns itself on

just because it is new doesn't mean it is right. I bought a 5 function digital thing for my motorcycle . it had 3 wires , ground, hot with switch on and hot with switch off . I went through 5 of them and gave up and they only charged me a 15 percent restocking fee. I was an electrician on nuke submarine for 3 years.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 14:05   #3

Boat: Albin, A27 Express, 27'
Re: Lewmar bow thruster turns itself on

My 140TT did the same thing in early January - only it was in the middle of the night and I wasn't on the boat. Yes... I inadvertently left the main switch on which is does absolutely no good. The thruster started on its own in the middle of the night and ran for well over half an hour before a live aboard neighbor woke up from the racket, climbed on board and shut it off. All the plastic components on the thruster melted down - it's toast. I'm lucky because I don't think we were far from catching the fiberglass hull on fire and having a real issue. I've had my Thruster for two years and the boat has only been in the water 18 months. Lewmar is a difficult company to get on the phone, but I finally learned that they know about the issue and the toggle switch & control cable that I purchased in new 2018 has been replaced with what they call a Gen 2 compliant joystick, control cable and a blue box converter. BTW... no one from Lewmar ever contacted me about it and I'm registered w them re warranty, etc.
skipnJen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar