Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2014, 23:22   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
LED Nav Lights

Hello brothers and sisters !
I'm away from my boat until January and need an info what kind and where can I buy a replacement LEDs. Don't remember the brand name of the fixtures, but they are very standard and common .
Thanks a lot, Henryk
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 03:17   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: LED Nav Lights

Marinebeam is the place to go for LEDs.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 11:54   #3
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Be aware that CG169 has very defined specifications for nav lights. The bulbs and the fixtures are approved by the USCG as a system. Simply replacing the incandescent bulb with an aftermarket LED does not meet the intent of the USCG approval for the light.

Some won't care but...
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 16:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Marinebeam also has replacement Nav lights complete, so far I'm very pleased with mine
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 16:39   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Marine Beam sells 2 & 5 mile nav light replacement bulbs. New offerings for AquaSignal tri-color are aluminum armored & red & green & white LED - an impressive bulb.

I aslo have SIGNALMATE fixtures at deck level - also super lights.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 17:53   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Here we go again.

Nav light fixtures made for incandescent bulbs are designed for a carefully-placed thin filament as the light source. Putting in a bunch of LEDs spread around the outside of a replacement "bulb" may not meet the requirements, even if it's bright enough and fits in the socket.

Also, the #1 reason for nav lights to fail is corrosion, not bulbs burning out. Replacing the bulbs with LEDs doesn't help with that at all.

Buy a new fixture. Lower draw and you'll never clean terminals or replace bulbs again.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 18:48   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Here we go again.

Nav light fixtures made for incandescent bulbs are designed for a carefully-placed thin filament as the light source. Putting in a bunch of LEDs spread around the outside of a replacement "bulb" may not meet the requirements, even if it's bright enough and fits in the socket.

Also, the #1 reason for nav lights to fail is corrosion, not bulbs burning out. Replacing the bulbs with LEDs doesn't help with that at all.

Buy a new fixture. Lower draw and you'll never clean terminals or replace bulbs again.
YUP here we here we here we go again all over again. The latest generation high quality sealed, high intensity replacements DO meet the requirements. And BTW, the CG does not rate or approve lights or fixtures.

We replaced ours after much study about 5 years ago. A lightning hit this summer caused us to get the next generation. This is an Aquasignal tri-color tower. First photo is with the original 1st gen LED replacements. Terribly bright- can't look at it. I modified the fixture with three shiny aluminum vanes at the divide lines although, it didn't appear to need it. The second photo is with the latest Marine Beam potted aluminum waterproof bulb. This one has red,green,white properly positioned LEDs. Using colored emitters, the colored wavelengths pass through the colored lenses with less loss than filtered white light. The top lens could be replaced with a clear white lens & be even better. This thing is painfully intense. Tri-Color LED Replacement Bulb 50 LEDs - 3.2 watts. Again, I added the dividers. The new lower LED is a single power LED with inverted conical reflector (We$t Marine)

Marine Beam also sells whole fixtures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AQUASIGNAL 5.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	90121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8630.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	90122  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 20:05   #8
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And BTW, the CG does not rate or approve lights or fixtures.
Sorry, you are incorrect and are providing misleading information.

Please refer to the Annex of CG169 where the light characteristics are spelled out in excruciating detail: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

And the last line in the Annex:
Quote:
§84.20 Approval.
The construction of lights and shapes and the installation of lights on board the vessel must satisfy the Commandant, U.S. Coast Guard.
Old 21-10-2014, 20:41   #9

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Now that the days are getting short, it is difficult to row or sail w/o running out of daylight.

These LED battery NAV lights were purchased and custom brackets were designed and fabricated so the lamps can be attached w/o drilling holes into the boat. FYI, these are not USCG lights. The angles are wrong.

But, for my usage, these are perfect. They are bright, inexpensive, dual purpose and have a flash mode for usage on the bicycle.

The bracket for the red / green lights has a snug-fitting tab that slides into the gap between the inwale and outwale. These are very secure.

The aft white lamp has a tapered cylindrical bracket that fits into the gudgeon used for the removable rudder.

The removal / installation of the lamps is fast and secure.

Plus, this dinghy is also the tender to my SeaRay. I carry my bicycle in my engine room. These lamps came w/ bicycle brackets, so the red and white lamps will be used when I am riding around town.

This image shows my aft white lamp w/ the tapered bracket. It fits / works great.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 20:50   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryk View Post
Hello brothers and sisters !
I'm away from my boat until January and need an info what kind and where can I buy a replacement LEDs. Don't remember the brand name of the fixtures, but they are very standard and common .
Thanks a lot, Henryk
The brand of the navigation lights is irrelevant, what matters is the bulb type if you are considering replacing just the bulbs, not the fixtures.

Standard LED replacement lamps will not do, be sure what you buy are intended for use as marine navigation lights. One will be red, one will be green and they have to be installed in the correct place. A white LED behind a green or red lens will produce very little light.

Replacing the entire fixture is the best plan but it can be expensive.
Old 21-10-2014, 20:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Be aware that CG169 has very defined specifications for nav lights. The bulbs and the fixtures are approved by the USCG as a system. Simply replacing the incandescent bulb with an aftermarket LED does not meet the intent of the USCG approval for the light.

Some won't care but...
The OP is in Canada. USCG approval is irrelevant.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 20:57   #12

Quote:
Sorry, you are incorrect and are providing misleading information.

Please refer to the Annex of CG169 where the light characteristics are spelled out in excruciating detail: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

And the last line in the Annex:
They may approve or disapprove lights on new boats but existing boats only need to meet performance standards. People used to use kerosene lanterns for navigation and anchor lights. Many sailboaters are using solar powered garden lights from Walmart for anchor lights.
Old 22-10-2014, 03:16   #13
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The OP is in Canada. USCG approval is irrelevant.
CG169 is the accepted International standard.

Look, if a boat owner wants to put candles inside their navigational light fixtures, that is their decision. I am simply attempting to point out that there are international rules, enforced by law, regarding the light characteristics (spectrum, range, field of view, etc.) of navigational lights.

Wineglass's modified bicycle lights are clever, way better than nothing, but do not meet the requirements of CG169.

Here is a long thread regarding replacement LED navigational fixtures from Ben Ellison's blog "Panbo": Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Inexpensive LED navigation lights, Aqua Signal & especially Marinebeam
Old 22-10-2014, 03:42   #14

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
These LED battery NAV lights were purchased and custom brackets were designed and fabricated so the lamps can be attached w/o drilling holes into the boat. FYI, these are not USCG lights. The angles are wrong.

But, for my usage, these are perfect. They are bright, inexpensive, dual purpose and have a flash mode for usage on the bicycle.
Quote:
Wineglass's modified bicycle lights are clever, way better than nothing, but do not meet the requirements of CG169.
Sorry Charlie Tuna, I can't help being clever.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 04:09   #15

Quote:
............. I am simply attempting to point out that there are international rules, enforced by law, regarding the light characteristics (spectrum, range, field of view, etc.) of navigational lights...................
In my experience there is no enforcement. Perhaps there is enforcement for ships but in my area people run with nothing or with missing lights all the time. I once watched several different LEO boats pass a group of three boats anchored with no lights and not a one stopped or even hailed them to turn on their lights.