Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2008, 08:02   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
LED Lighting Project Update

Well, Mamma's voted and decided to move ahead with with replacing the rest of our lighting with LEDs. Here are some photos to compare with regular fluorescent lighting:

This is a small fluorescent fixture with a single bulb:

When replaced with 3 Luxeon Rebel 145 lumen LEDs:

A recessed unit, double fluorescent bulb:

Replaced with 6 Luxeon Rebel 145 lumen LEDs:

The LEDs use 55% of the current that the fluorescents use. But, they ain't cheap. The price list on just the parts for the rest of the boat is about $750!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 12:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
No pictures that I can see.
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 12:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Hmmm. Try these links:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...p/IMG_3446.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...p/IMG_3447.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...p/IMG_3448.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...p/IMG_3449.jpg
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 15:38   #4

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
replacement fluro

Have you looked at cold cathode tubes? I replaced the tubes in a "marine" 12v fluro with 2 of these 190ma current. Just used the old housing. Got them from an Electronics parts store. Seemed better than LEDS.

Regards Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 19:11   #5

I really hope boaters realized the potential positive options there are with LEDs such first off they draw much less power, are very safe to use because of low voltages and not being made out of materials that can break and cause fire or explosions. A properly used LED has a life span from 30,000 to 100,000 hours or over 11 years, and at that point they just lose a percentage of brightness.

Nowadays its not logical to scoff at them as not being bright enough, recent advances have pushed them beyond in output compared to regular bulbs in applications of needing under 500 lumens.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 00:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
are very safe to use because of low voltages
OK, so call me pedantic, but! the voltages are still the same no matter what light you use, if it is 12V. The regulator is in the bulb.
Quote:
not being made out of materials that can break and cause fire or explosions
Nor do any 12V lights that I know of.
Quote:
30,000 to 100,000 hours
At which point they tend to fail completely. In fact, with proper regulation, they all tend to be leaning toward the 100Khrs, but the means of making them brighter is what reduces their life. In fact some of the really bright multi LED units often lose a LED or two in very short time. It seems to be a law of averages.

In reply to the original post, mate you sure those Fluro's were not worn out. That is some rather dismal light from a Fluro. Theyu are normaly much better than that. I have to say though, the LEDs sure look good and white.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 02:09   #7

Boat: now floating easy37
i would second the cold cathode call they give twice as much light as luxeon leds for about the same wattage and are substantially cheaper
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 07:05   #8

For what its worth, I work in electronics, my wife and I own a contract manufacturing business, and we buy them by the thousands. And I would have to say that LEDs or those little electric dudes that we like to call them are a really good alternative to bulbs, I have also seen that a lot of the flashlite companies have begun turning out LED flashlights, why?...because they last longer than conventional bulbs and they dont use up as much electricity, and you can get just as much if not more lumens out of them as the conventional bulbs.
Also, alot of Law enforcement and Military guys are using them as entry lights because the resist shock better than bulbs, they dont break as easy. Not that, that matters on a boat but it does prove that if you want a good long lasting shock resistant light, then the Military and the Local LE guys have already done the field testing for you.
Like I said just my 2 cents... But if you want a good alternative to bulbs than LEDs are worth it.
KidTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 09:37   #9

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
regarding 12v fixtures which can burn or cause fires, halogens are very easily capable of this. My wife turned our halogen reading light in our birth from pointing down to pointing back towards the headboard because the light was to bright, I found out 10 minutes later because I smelled the headboard wooden frame smoking. Replacing halogen bulbs with $20 LED bulbs I've found gives equal brightness, no heat, and pulls far fewer watts. And it's cheap btw if you don't buy a "LED" recessed spot for $120 and instead by a more attactive halogen fixture for $25 and simply replace the halogen with a $20 LED.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 10:20   #10
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I'm about half way through our boat changing out the incandescent and halogen lamps with LED's. So far I've replaced the nav & anchor lights and a few of the cabin lights. I'm so impressed with them that I've started to retrofit LED's into the house lighting replacing the compact flourescents.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 12:37   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
halogens are very easily capable of this.
Good point.
Quote:
For what its worth, I work in electronics,
Hi Kidtwist and welcome. So do you also make LED light's?? We have one other here. You two may like to discuss the subject.
I wonder if this is a good idea. Is it possible for an LED Light unit to be supplied as a DIY put together to help reduce the cost to us boaters. I mean, the darn things are just so expensive and I imagine the majority of cost would be the issue of assembling and soldering the components. any thoughts??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 12:53   #12

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the very common and very ugly 8W flourescent lightbulb fixtures? Something around the same size, but lower draw and esthetically nicer. Cheap would be nice too!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 13:28   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the very common and very ugly 8W flourescent lightbulb fixtures? Something around the same size, but lower draw and esthetically nicer. Cheap would be nice too!
Hallo Doug , just get some cold kathode ray lights but make sure the 12 v is stabilized , if made for 12 they cannot handle 15 volts
this is experience we use them in our boats

greetings
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 14:27   #14

Boat: now floating easy37
be careful with led bulbs in regards to heat as they to can get very hot, i replaced a 20 w mr 16 with a cree 120 degree led and my son decided he wanted it in his bedroom and nearly burnt his hand while pulling it out(it has what looks to be a massive heatsink around it)
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 14:41   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidTwist View Post
I have also seen that a lot of the flashlite companies have begun turning out LED flashlights, why?...because they last longer than conventional bulbs and they dont use up as much electricity, and you can get just as much if not more lumens out of them as the conventional bulbs.

I like LEDs. I have one as a masthead anchor light (well, did on my last boat and want to get another for this boat) and for nav lights - especially that white all around LED on the dinghy for evening runs. Very nice, very bright and they draw almost laughable power compared to filaments.

But... I do prefer halogens inside due to the warmth of the light. LEDs are not very comforting, and flourescents (sp??) are the worst atmosphere of them all - sorry Wheels. Every time I turn one on I feel like I'm in an office or getting in trouble (as a kid). The light is harsh. The flourescents are all I have on the new boat, so I'm stuck with them.

To respond to the above quote:

I'm sure the flashlight company doesn't have longevity, lumens or power consumption in mind when expanding to have LEDs. Here is what they are thinking: "cheaper", "can command a higher retail price", etc...

BTW: I have been buying those Energizer brand headlamp LED flashlights that strap to your head. The battery life is appaling. Very VERY short life. Nowhere near the stated hours. I am getting maybe 5-8 hours tops out of the lights. Come to think of it... aren't flashlight companies often also battery companies?? I think efficiency is certainly not on their agenda.

PS: I'm brain dead from 11 hours of motoring in a ditch today. Please excuse the typos and spelling errors.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting