Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:30   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
LED Lamp G4 Disk Recommendation

Well, my three-year long LED lamp quest is finally over, and I can announce a winner! My thread about it is here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-74352.html

I have several dozen Cantalupi halogen puck lights on board, which orginally came with 10 watt and 20 watt G4 halogen lamps. It took quite a lot of power to light up the whole boat before I started converting them to LED's.

I have tried G4 LED lamp inserts from:

Imtra
Dr. LED
Superbright LED's
Sensibulbs
Bedazzled
A no-name EBay supplier
and others.

I have had two problems with these LED lamps: (1) not enough light output; and (2) unpleasant quality of light. The first problem is not trivial as I have a large boat with large interior spaces, which are not that easy to light up to a sufficient level. The second problem is not just the color of light, but the weirdly artificial look of the light.

I rather liked the Superbright LED's, but two of them literally exploded (!) when first turned on. Won't be buying any more of them.

The Imtra ones have all worked well, but have either a sickly green or sickly orange-ish color which I don't like.

The Sensibulbs are insanely overpriced and very dim. They have a sickly orange-ish light which is not too pleasant. Can't imagine why people pay $36 each for them.

The no-name EBay ones, bought on recommendation of a friend in the UK, were quite good and dirt cheap.

But far and away the best are the ones I bought from Bedazzled. The 12 surface-mounted-device 2.2 watt disks are by far the brightest ones I have tried -- they seem to be more or less equal to a 20 watt halogen. The claimed light output is 160 lumens, similar to claimed output of other LED lamps. But claimed and delivered are two different things -- as I now know.

They also have the most pleasant quality of light of any LED lamps I have tried -- nearly the same color as halogen with just the slightest greenish tint -- unnoticeable when you get used to them.

Also they are the only ones I have seen which have not only on-board current regulation (a must, I think) but also a built-in fuse on each one -- something I now think is needed after having a couple of LED lamps explode on me.

So now I will gradually replace the experimental ones and replace the remaining halogens with these Bedazzled units. Did I mention that the price is extremely reasonable? I think about 9 pounds each, or about $15.

Replacing the remaining halogen lamps is complicated by the fact that I have these ghastly Cantalupi fixtures -- three different types of them, and all of them the worst carp I have ever seen sold as a light fixture. They are made from thin, brittle brass with a dreadfully stupid design depending on thin slivers cut out of the thin brass to anchor the springs that hold them in. They break into pieces when you take them out, and not rarely cut your fingers to ribbons. Utter, utter carp -- avoid Cantalupi.

I have also experimented with replacing the entire fixture with one from Bedazzled -- possibly satisfactory, but the one I received had no glass in it. Whether that is a defect or not I don't know yet. But the price is right and if I can figure out the glass business I will start replacing the Cantalupi fixtures with these.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: LED Lamp G4 Disk Recommendation

I have replaced half of my 16 G4 halogen capsule Hella cabin lights with warm white G4 LED disks from Ultraleds The UKs No1 LED Light Tape and LED Bulb Supplier | Ultra LEDs whom I recommend. I have found them reliable (no failures after 3 years) powerful (up to 35W equivalent available, specced up to 30V DC, good consistent warm white colour and reasonably priced. They do replacements for MR11 and MR16 as well as the Aquasignal masthead tri and anchor bulbs although I intend to convert the aquasignal quickfit tri/anchor using NASA Marine Supernova tri and anchor, just retaining the quickfit base. I did this on my previous boat and it worked exceptionally well.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 16:42   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	48011

this is a demo room with the 10w LED indoor out door water proof flood lights . they come in 12v , 110 and 220.

Name:	round flood.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	48012

the actual lamp

Name:	10W-Outdoor-WW.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	48013

for outdoor theres none better than these

most of the Ebay sellers {there is many} offer 2-4 year warranty on these lamps. these are all i use, ive never had one blow up . or even burn out. 20 bucks a unit and there rate for 60,000 hours usage
Farfanugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:49   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

If you have tried the commercial fittings and found them unsatisfactory
It is possible to make a much better product by making your own.

There are not any real cost savings doing this, but the brightness, quality of the light, and the energy efficiency will be much higher.
If you are sensitive to colour you can pick the exact bin of the led.

All commercial fittings use poor quality emitters ( because they are cheap) and by selecting the latest and best the results are much better, particularly in terms of colour.

Using one (or more) of the 3w Cree LEDs the construction is easy. There are only 2 components. the wires from prebult driver modules only have to be soldered to the large pads on the led.
The most suitable LEDs come already mounted on a small heaksink. For larger output a simple aluminium strip will allow you to drive to a higher output.

It's very easy construction if the light fitting is large. If it is a smaller in ceiling recessed fitting the above is still possible, but is much more difficult.
This website will provide the basic building blocks

Cutter Electronics
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:03   #5

Boat: Irwin 40

Thanks for sharing this with us Dockhead. I use the Ebay bulbs myself and have been happy with the light output. They may not last as long but I just bought 16 more at a bit over $1.00 each. Compared to the prices of the name brand I can replace these many times and still be ahead. I am very happy with the color of the warm white ones I get. I also added extra light fixtures to my overhead to make up for lower light output. All in all I am very happy with the LEDs
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 09:41   #6

... I know I am refreshing an old thread but can someone point be to a source in the US for G4 LED replacements (should be 20-30V DC, dimmable, ...)

When I try to use Google the first pages are all manufactures in Far East.

Would like to order online while here in the US.

Thanks,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 09:51   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I have used this firm for lamp replacements and have been very satisfied with their products:

Marine LED Lights; Cabin, Navigation and Deck | Marinebeam

US based.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 10:24   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
... I know I am refreshing an old thread but can someone point be to a source in the US for G4 LED replacements (should be 20-30V DC, dimmable, ...)

Marinebeam.com, Force 12 G4 bi-pin discs (side-pin or back-pin), warm white.

Dimmable in our systems with no additional controllers required.

-Chris
Old 17-07-2015, 01:38   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have been gradually replacing my horrible G4 Cantilupi fixtures with MR16 fixtures, like those here: Light Fittings

The MR16 bulb units are much better and brighter, probably because they have a reflector designed for the LED emitters. The fixtures are dirt cheap (6 pounds or about 9 bucks) and well designed -- snap in firmly into the hole made for the old halogen fixtures.

There is no glass in them, which doesn't seem to be a problem, and the MR16 bulbs are much deeper, which means they don't fit everywhere, but in general I am very pleased with them.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 17:14   #10

... thanks for the infos! MR16 will not fit in the lamps I have to modify. Will try the marinebeam.com product.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote