Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:51   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Led Conversion

Does anyone have any experience converting their incandescent navigation lights to LED with the new LED light bulb replacements while using the old standard housing? Is there a preferred LED replacement bulb that is the best? Any personal feedback would be greatly appreciated.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:02   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Led conversion

This may help.
Nice instructions also.

Anchor/Nav Bulbs
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Does anyone have any experience converting their incandescent navigation lights to LED with the new LED light bulb replacements while using the old standard housing? Is there a preferred LED replacement bulb that is the best? Any personal feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Converted all of mine except the Tricolour light. All mine came from this company
Searolf
For the Tricolour, a tricolour bulb is needed, and an adapter to make sure that the sectors of the bulb match the lens sectors. Using a white bulb behind a coloured lens produces incorrect colour hue.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

For my interior lights I bought led replacement bulbs from china on Fleabay. For my navigation lights I buy them from Superbrightleds.com. I use these folks for my car, truck, motorcycles and my boat and have never had quality issues. The sit has detailed measurments and diagrams and the have very fast shipping also.

I buy the LEDs to match the color of the lense also. I think they tend to be brighter than the incandesant white bulbs they replace when collor matched.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:24   #5
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

Me to, superbrightleds.com replacement bulbs
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27   #6

I used Marinebeam and and very happy with the results.

I also used their red/white switchable in my interior fixtures. Neat!
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Converted my anchor light and tricolor a couple of years ago because those are the ones I burn the longest. Used the existing AquaSignal fixture.

I also ordered from, and have many times, from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS. I replaced my old power hungry incandecent bulbs with one of their LED towers...wow...even brighter than the old energy hogs and use almost nothing. AquaSignal and other vendors wanted some ridiculous amount for their LED's bulbs...those from SuperBright were a fraction of the cost and have performed very well.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:59   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Led Conversion

Has anyone purchased lights from Marineled.com? This site looks very similar to Marinebeam.com. Thanks for the great feedback so far!
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20   #9

Boat: Beneteau 49
I also purchased the red white switchable replacement LED from Marinebeam. Great customer service. The owner spent a half hour on the phone answering my questions. The red white switchable replacement is the best. When you first turn it on it comes on red. If you switch off and on, it becomes a standard white light. I replaced all my interior lights.
George
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:16   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

My wife worked in a Chnderly for about 5 years before we left. During that time she changed out all of our incandesent light for LEDS. It was a huge power savings.

We changed out all our interior lights with LUNASEA LED replacement bulbs. They work great!

We changed the nav lights out with new sealed LED fixtures, by Hella Marine. These are incredibly bright

Finally, our Tricolor is acually a Tricolor, Anchored and FLashing White LED from ORCA GREEN OEM. Again, it is very brght and incredibly small.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52   #11
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Your better off buying new sealed led nav lights and just doing the bulb swap for inside fixtures. I bought a Hella tri color, no strobe. I did want a strobe for emergencys, but passed in order to stick with all hella. One of the many things that grinds my gears is people useing the strobe as an anchor light.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 15:32   #12

apparently Ikea sells a pack of 4 LED pucklights for $40 - they are designed for 120V but if you cut the adapter, they are 12V. I'm going to get three or four sets and replace my interior dome lights.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote