Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2012, 18:39   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: LED CONVERSION

I'm really happy with the marinebeam.com replacement bulbs in the warm white--both for interior and navigation. They have a great variety of bulbs and adapters so you don't have to change fixtures, and the only complaint I got from the Admiral was that some of the bulbs were too bright.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 18:47   #17

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

Ok, having just done this over the last year, i can feel comfortable commenting on this one. We are on a Irwin 52, and the orig lighting was terrible. Flor 20 watt circle lights, and will the boat all on, (kids) we were drawing 25 amps, yes 25 amps with all the lights on... you go how often does that happen, take 2 teenagers that cant remember to turn off one, and you will find them all one... changed out every light to LED, even the closets. Most are DrLed 3 watt fixtures, with the exception of West Marine LED lights in the closets. dropped power usage with the Fridge/Freezer to under 10 amps with everything, (lights, NAV, radio, fridge/freezer) on. typical usage is around 5 amps. Is it worth it, absolutely... Just tied to the dock with power inverter running, saved 70+ $ per month on 110 electric. payback at like 6-10 months. This one change with adding solar of 2-135 watt panels make the largest impact.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 19:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Has anyone converted their navigation lights/interior lights to LED? If so, what is your opinion and can you recommend any vendor for ease of replacement and quality of the product. All responses will be greatly appreciated.
I've found one of the most useful LED lights to have on board is the BEBI Beka light. You can get them in a variety of configurations. From white to warm. I use the white surround with a warm downlight. Works well in the cabin and cockpit. The white LED's bounce off the cabin ceiling and the warm down light illuminates the table:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: WHAT WORKS: THE BEBI LED BEKA LIGHT
Old 18-06-2012, 09:21   #19

Boat: Newport 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
How is the color of the light from the IKEAs?
Its definitely white, but not that horrid blue white. I like it.

From Ikea:
Light color; warm white (2700 Kelvin).

http://autolumination.com/images/aut...n_color_wm.jpg
Old 18-06-2012, 09:45   #20

Boat: Beneteau 423

We updated our anchor light to an LED. We went with a new fixture that was USCG certified. It was recommended to go that way instead of just updating the bulb which invalidates the USCG certification of the fixture - so we are told.

We have been updating our G4 halogens in the cabin with G4 Base Side Pin 6 SMD LED from LED Wholesalers via Amazon for general lighting. They are a little on the yellow side, but we found 6 SMD was enough for general lighting. The 9 SMD was a little too blue. We use two of the 10 SMDs from LED Wholesalers via Amazon for over the galley. It is the best color, but we found they were a little to harsh for general lighting in the cabin area.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 16:00   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We did all of our. Did them ourselves with LEDs (good ones ARE expensive) from LED : LEDs : LED Drivers : Cree LEDs : Luxeon LEDs : LUXdrive : LEDSupply.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 19:21   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I've converted our interior lights to Sensibulbs in the saloon, Dr. LED in the vanity and V berth, a couple of lockers and navigation lights.
I much prefer the color of the Sensibulbs. They're very nearly the same overall color temperature of 10 watt halogens with less than 20% of the current draw.
Dr.LED's are kinda blue, but cheaper. Navigation lights seem fine.
I also used Amazon for rope lights in the saloon for our cove lighting.
While you're at it, check out

http//:www.oznium.com

We've used a bunch of their stuff in the house as well as the boat.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 21:05   #23

I replaced both our tricolour and the anchor light with LEDs from Bebi Electronics (Bebi Electronics-Home of the Finest Marine LED Lighting Products on Sea (or Earth)!) and couldn't be happier with the results. They were as bright or brighter than our old bulbs and for the anchor light we went from drawing something like 10 amps an hour to 1/10th of an amp an hour. Same with the tricolour. The bulbs are not plug and play, you have to wire them in, but it was not much of a problem. Their web page has plenty of instructions.

I also replaced most of the interior lights with LEDs of various makes and was very happy with the results. I will say though, that the cheaper ones do not seem to last as long, at least not in my experience.

No matter what brand you go with I think you'll be happy with the results.

Greg
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 21:17   #24

Boat: GS 52 - Shenanigans

Converted running lights to sealed LEDs (don't remember the brand). Expensive, but well worth it - 1000 hours or more since conversion; no issue.
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 22:29   #25

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I bought one of these to replace my galley light, and I like it. Much brighter, and the option to go red at night nice. If they weren't 80 bucks a pop, I would have replaced the rest my lights that day. Until then, I'm just swapping them as they fail.

They only thing I don't like is the gaudy plastic chrome finish.
Old 18-06-2012, 22:29   #26

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Have replaced all the interior light globes with warm white led globes, cant tell the difference between 21 watt incandesent and 3 watt led, except that the led are possibly a little brighter. Same base and same bulb size.
Mine came from Parker Lighting in Sydney Aust. Reasonable pricing and prompt delivery

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 06:05   #27

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

My wife Lori worked at a boatyard in San Francisco before we left full time cruising.

During that time they orginally sold Dr. LED products, when they first came out. During that time Dr. LED started having their products made overseas and as a result, many were defective.

Like a good marine store they happily excepted the defective blbs and exchanged them with the customers. The Dr. LED did the unexpected and told the store my wife worked for that they had exceeded their authority, the customers were suppose to send defective lights back to the factory. Dr. LED refused to replace the defective bulbs, costing the marine store a small fortune.

After that incident they stopped carring the brand and went with a new company called LUNASEA Lighting. We subsequently used their bulbs to replace every incandesent interior light on our boat. The have several colors to choose from including warm white and daylight bright.

We also replaced our Navigation lights with a Hella Sealed LED unning lights. Which are great!

We also have an Orca Green Tricolor/Anchor/Flashing Mast Head light.

The power consumption by these lights is about 10% of the orginals and worth the money if you plan to be on battery power for any length of time.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 06:11   #28

Boat: Catalina 34

I just replaced my interior cabin lights with LED replacement bulbs (bayonnet) from YachtLights (Apex Lighting) and am very happy so far. The LED's a bright and cool.
Old 19-06-2012, 07:18   #29

All my interior bulbs are sensibulbs from LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.

Red or white and they can be dimmed The white is very white and bright...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 08:18   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

hlev,
You are correct. If you are concerned about USCG certification, they only certify a complete fixture including a specific bulb. Changing the bulb type invalidates the certification.

"It is the best color, but we found they were a little to harsh for general lighting in the cabin area. " White LEDs actually come in a range of colors, even from the same single production run. If you think about paint, or yarn, you know that you have to buy a matching "color lot" or else the colors will not match from one piece to the next. Same thing with LEDs, even the best are sold as "assorted" or "graded" and if the wholesaler wants all the LEDs to be the same color and brightness--they may pay 5x-10x more for them. Otherwise "the same" white LEDs from prime makers may come in four distinct colors, with a brightness that doubles in four steps (i.e. 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x as bright).

Sometimes cheap is good, sometimes cheap is for a reason. "Ignore the man behind the curtain."
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote