Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 10:17   #1

Boat: B24
LED bulbs for nav-lights…

I’d like to replace the bulbs of my nav lights with LED (I assume much lower power consumption) bulbs… for esthetics (as well as simple laziness) I really don’t want to replace the fixtures, just the bulbs – as well as any innards if that is required… The boat has only a pull-start outboard kicker, so power generation is at best a sometimes thing and at least for poking around creeks on the weekend, I’d like to just “live” off the two 12-volt house batteries I charge at the dock…

What I’m looking for is a catalogue or chart that says; if you have bulb that looks like this, then substitute the LED bulb with number so-and-so… or isn’t life that easy… don’t need for anchored, have that tackled…

And pardon denseness in advance: I thought there was once a thread on something like this, but I can’t seem to find it with the search feature…

Thanks…
Old 12-06-2008, 10:27   #2

Boat: Coronet Elvstrom 38
I have been cautiously looking at the same idea. One snag is that the regulations is about the range the lamp (and not the bulb) is visible at night. It seems just replacing the old filament bulb with an LED array does not always hack it. Then the LEDs are very variable, a one LED lamp can be as bright as a 30 LED lamp, or more. Then there's directionality and avoiding blind spots in the array of LEDs. I am told that's why the nav-lamp manufacturers do not simply offer a replacement LED bulb for their existing filament bulb lamps. They have to get them calibrated (for some countries) like Germany.

Of course, that might just be an excuse to charge yachting prices.
Idiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:29   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
If you look down near the bottom of this page you will see some links to LED bulbs and light threads.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:34   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I've found the LED clusters are too big to fit in the light housing. My old Perko lights just weren't big enough to get in a lamp large/bright enough so I replaced the entire set of lights. Picked mine up from Australia from e-Bay and they weren't that expensive, about $45 IIRC. I also picked up a complete set of series 25 LED lights off of e-Bay for $66 normal retail over $150. The only drawback with the new LED's was the footprint of the new light wasn't big enough to cover the footprint of the old lights so I've got a couple of exposed mounting screws.

We came in last night about 20:00 hrs and I must say they are "Bright"!

Sorry 'bout the poor quality pic.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If you look down near the bottom of this page...

Thanks -- best place to hide something is right in front of me...
Old 12-06-2008, 11:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Picked mine up from Australia from e-Bay and they weren't that expensive, about $45 IIRC. I also picked up a complete set of series 25 LED lights off of e-Bay for $66 normal retail over $150...
I may do that... certianly looks quite acceptable to me (I have to do a bit of hole-filling anyway, so one more or less probably won't matter...).

Tags
led lights