Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.53 average. Display Modes
Old 21-03-2012, 14:43   #91

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: LED Anchor Light Update

Probably just a matter of time. IIRC it was a Greek coast guard boat that went around fining cruisers for using a masthead anchor light - they wanted it lower where it could easily be seen by approaching boats. That may not be a requirement of the law, but 1) they are right about it being safer, and 2) no matter how unreasonable, LEOs do have the authority...
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 18:43   #92

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
2) no matter how unreasonable, LEOs do have the authority...
They do not!

They may make you do something because they have the ability but that is not the same.
Old 21-03-2012, 19:18   #93
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Im starting to see a lot of white strobe lights used as anchor lights in the Eastern Med- anyone using these??
over here small local fishing vevssels use bicycle style LED blinky lights, mostly in a combination of red, blue, yellow... can't see them from half a mile away.

personally i think strobes should be used for emergencies only.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 19:39   #94

Here is an LED anchor light that appears to be a bayonet base replacement lamp for commonly used existing fixtures. It looks like it will work in both 12 or 24 volt systems. Have any of you used it? If there are favorable reports, I will put one in my spare parts inventory. Here is another one from West Marine.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 01:58   #95

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40 cc

I've purchased lamps from LEDWholesalers.com a number of times and I use them on the boat but not for required lights. They have been a great source and if Ido need to replace any nav lights I will consider making the change to LEDs regardless of USCG certification. I can document a test of their visibility when I install and/or if there is an incident.
Dantodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 05:57   #96
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ram-
"Not so sure about that- they grab your attention from a long way out- "
Look at it this way. They are using an international standard distress call to get your attention. That's like calling MAYDAY MAYDAY! on the VHF because you want to get the launch driver's attention ahead of other boats.

It falls somewhere between "Boy does this herd need thinning" and real "rose-food for brains".

If I see or hear a distress call, I will seriously inconvenience myself to check it out. And if that inconvenience turns out to be some *head who wants a disco anchor light, I'm not going to be happy about it. I'll make Real Damned Sure that he's issued a citation for improper use of a distress signal, and reckless endangerment. And the gendarme, carabinieri, coastie, local watercop...whoever it is that has the pleasure of coming out in the night to meet us, is very definitely going to share that pissed-off sentiment.

Of course, you'd never see a distress signal used as an anchor light in Texas. You know what they say in Texas? "Yer Honor, that fella jess needed shootin." Saves a lot of expensive paperwork.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 15:22   #97
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Ram-
Look at it this way. They are using an international standard distress call to get your attention. That's like calling MAYDAY MAYDAY! on the VHF because you want to get the launch driver's attention ahead of other boats.

It falls somewhere between "Boy does this herd need thinning" and real "rose-food for brains".

If I see or hear a distress call, I will seriously inconvenience myself to check it out. And if that inconvenience turns out to be some *head who wants a disco anchor light, I'm not going to be happy about it. I'll make Real Damned Sure that he's issued a citation for improper use of a distress signal, and reckless endangerment. And the gendarme, carabinieri, coastie, local watercop...whoever it is that has the pleasure of coming out in the night to meet us, is very definitely going to share that pissed-off sentiment.

Of course, you'd never see a distress signal used as an anchor light in Texas. You know what they say in Texas? "Yer Honor, that fella jess needed shootin." Saves a lot of expensive paperwork.
That may work in the USA , but not in the Eastern Med Seems just about almost every anchorage or fishing boat has them on...somewhere-
Here no one seems to know or care about that & many other things like Wake in this area
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 16:00   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Ram-

We have two different devices being discussed here. I think that Hellosailor is referring to the strobe lights, and not LED anchor bulb replacements. It is not really clear when using they after the subject has shifted a half dozen posts ago.

In either case, could somebody provide a citation to the rules that define strobes or LED's being designated as distress signals?
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 18:44   #99
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

bought a Hella Marine LED anchor light and going to install it this weekend. it seems nice and bright when connected to 12V, but i think it is not as bright as a normal 10Watt light bulb...? still, it got USCG approval.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 20:38   #100

Boat: Fantasia 35

Funny story about the improper use of strobe lights --

One night (many years ago) while aboard a freighter in the south pacific a strobe light was spotted and the captain called. A course change was ordered to see what was happening. We soon saw more and more strobe lights leading to very lit up "fishing" trawler that was blaring out Russian music. The captain ordered slow ahead and began to slalom around the strobes. As the ship approached the trawler the captain stopped the props and we ghosted by the trawler. We passed within fifty feet. Their was no one visible aboard the trawler. Once well beyond the trawler we resumed our original course and speed.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 21:52   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ato View Post
bought a Hella Marine LED anchor light and going to install it this weekend. it seems nice and bright when connected to 12V, but i think it is not as bright as a normal 10Watt light bulb...? still, it got USCG approval.
The hella unit uses some optics to direct the light in a horizontal pattern. If you look from the right angle you should find its brighter than a 10 w bulb. I had the earlier Hella LED anchor light and it was definitely brighter than incadensant alternative, the Bebi Owl is about 50% brighter again however, and uses half the power of the Hella.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 23:52   #102

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
In either case, could somebody provide a citation to the rules that define strobes or LED's being designated as distress signals?
Good question. The answer is very revealing: the International Rules of the Road (72 COLREGS) don't include strobes as part of the list of approved distress signals in Part D Rule 37. The US Inland Rules of the Road specifically adds to the International list: "A high intensity white light flashing at regular intervals from 50 to 70 times per minute." So the strobe is a distress signal in US waters, but not internationally (unless added by the local authority). The US goes its own way yet again.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 05:37   #103
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The hella unit uses some optics to direct the light in a horizontal pattern. If you look from the right angle you should find its brighter than a 10 w bulb. I had the earlier Hella LED anchor light and it was definitely brighter than incadensant alternative, the Bebi Owl is about 50% brighter again however, and uses half the power of the Hella.
I just ordered the BEBe looks good!
Old 24-03-2012, 05:38   #104
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Good question. The answer is very revealing: the International Rules of the Road (72 COLREGS) don't include strobes as part of the list of approved distress signals in Part D Rule 37. The US Inland Rules of the Road specifically adds to the International list: "A high intensity white light flashing at regular intervals from 50 to 70 times per minute." So the strobe is a distress signal in US waters, but not internationally (unless added by the local authority). The US goes its own way yet again.
Maybe why i see so many of these strobes in the Eastern Med-as anchor & running lights
Old 31-03-2012, 19:49   #105

Boat: Schucker 436

I have looked at a lot of LED NAV lights, and my biggest concern was the wires coming out of them. Some companies use a very small wire about 18 to 22 gauge due to the low current and some companies said it was necessary for the electronics circuit. I would be very careful when connecting the 12 or 14 gauge wire going up the mast to it, especially on the top of a mast with a lot of movement. Electrically it's big enough, but mechanically the wire is too small for any vibration without a very good connection and securing method.
RUSTYNAIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor