Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 11:03   #106

Boat: 40'
Re: LED Anchor Light

Anyone have experience with - Signal Mate LED Anchor Light - ($269 from Defender)?
ChasD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 04:53   #107

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I purchased the Signal Mate from a Defender this summer. Only have a few months use, but so far I really like it. Very bright and lo power consumption. Unit is very solidly built.
Old 23-10-2013, 05:00   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

$269 for just an anchor light?

I just bought a new in the package innovative lighting one for $33 on eBay. Had great success with them on a previous boat and they have a "lifetime" warranty.

Seemed to be the brightest anchor light in most anchorages when on the masthead of my ketch.
Old 23-10-2013, 11:54   #109

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
$269 for just an anchor light? I just bought a new in the package innovative lighting one for $33 on eBay. Had great success with them on a previous boat and they have a "lifetime" warranty. Seemed to be the brightest anchor light in most anchorages when on the masthead of my ketch.
Are they USCG approved?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:05   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Are they USCG approved?
The USCG does not approve anchor lights. Manufacturers pay to have their anchor lights certified by a third party to meet USCG requirements.

As long as your light meets the requirements your good. Me I use a $17 led bulb (current compensating 10V to 30V) in a clear plastic spice jar zip tied to the back stay above the boom for a total outlay of about $23. Yes it meets CG location requirements too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:14   #111

[QUOTE="sailorchic34;1372197"] The USCG does not approve anchor lights. Manufacturers pay to have their anchor lights certified by a third party to meet USCG requirements. As long as your light meets the requirements your good. /QUOTE]

I meant to say "certified" so thanks for correcting that.

Does your insurance company agree with that thinking? Will all insurance companies of any boat that hits your anchored yacht agree?
Old 23-10-2013, 12:22   #112

I discovered for myself, by making our anchor light from discrete LEDs, that LEDs are very susceptible blowing from transients, which might come from mast handling, static, or storm activity.

I had to add some additional components for protection from transients and reverse voltages, and so far this has lasted 2 seasons.

(not USCG approved, of course, but plenty visible)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:24   #113

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The USCG does not approve anchor lights. Manufacturers pay to have their anchor lights certified by a third party to meet USCG requirements.

As long as your light meets the requirements your good. Me I use a $17 led bulb (current compensating 10V to 30V) in a clear plastic spice jar zip tied to the back stay above the boom for a total outlay of about $23. Yes it meets CG location requirements too.
I like your style
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:31   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=transmitterdan;1372206]
Quote:
The USCG does not approve anchor lights. Manufacturers pay to have their anchor lights certified by a third party to meet USCG requirements. As long as your light meets the requirements your good. /QUOTE]

I meant to say "certified" so thanks for correcting that.

Does your insurance company agree with that thinking? Will all insurance companies of any boat that hits your anchored yacht agree?
I don't loose a bit O sleep worrying about it. Really a good lawyer could trash the best certified anchor light. IE, when was the last time you checked the wiring and/or cleaned the len/cover of the anchor light. Did you check for bird poop on the lens before retiring for the night, etc, etc.

As I anchor almost all the time, I do make sure my anchor light is on and is very bright. Brighter then most anyway. Plus it lights up a goodly part of the cabin top too. Besides I don't own a yacht, only a very modest sailboat.
Old 23-10-2013, 13:03   #115
Marine Service Provider

Well, the last time I was asked to produce a certificate of authenticity for my anchor light.....

WTF!!!

I did have a look at the package, it says USCG Approval 33 CFR 183 810

As I said its plenty bright based on side by side comparisons in actual anchorages.
Old 23-10-2013, 13:07   #116

Boayguy30,

Thanks for the answer. If in a collision while anchored I believe one will want to produce proof the light meets USCG rules for size of boat.
Old 23-10-2013, 13:32   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I did have a look at the package, it says USCG Approval 33 CFR 183 810
USCG Approval 33 CFR 183 810 references a certification standard for vessel manufacturers, distributors, and dealers related to navigation lights (see below). It's not quite the same as saying the CG tested and approved the light.

It applies to boat builders and manufacturers of navigation lights and does not prevent one from building their own for less. Really the CG regs still allow an oil lamp hung from the rigging.

BTW, I have had the CG come by my boat at night. Never had a problem with my blonde made anchor light.

§ 183.810
Navigation light certification requirements.
(a) Except as provided by paragraph (b) of this section, each navigation light must—
(1) Meet the technical standards of the applicable Navigation Rules;
(2) Be certified by a laboratory listed by the Coast Guard to the standards of ABYC A-16 (incorporated by reference, see § 183.5) or equivalent, although portable battery-powered lights need only meet the requirements of the standard applicable to them; and
(3) Bear a permanent and indelible label that is visible without removing or disassembling the light and that states the following:
(i) “USCG Approval 33 CFR 183.810.”
(ii) “MEETS___.” (Insert the identification name or number of the standard under paragraph (a)(2) of this section, to which the laboratory type-tested.)
(iii) “TESTED BY___.” (Insert the name or registered certification-mark of the laboratory listed by the Coast Guard that tested the fixture to the standard under paragraph (a)(2) of this section.)
(iv) Name of manufacturer.
(v) Number of model.
(vi) Visibility of the light in nautical miles.
(vii) Date on which the light was type-tested.
(viii) Identification and specifications of the bulb used in the compliance test.
(b) If a light is too small to attach the required label—
(1) Place the information from the label in or on the package that contains the light; and
(2) Mark each light “USCG” followed by the certified range of visibility in nautical miles (nm), for example, “USCG 2nm”. Once installed, this mark must be visible without removing the light.
Old 23-10-2013, 13:42   #118
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Boayguy30,

Thanks for the answer. If in a collision while anchored I believe one will want to produce proof the light meets USCG rules for size of boat.
In this case I think any production made light would be found to be fine, but the jar from the back stay could cause some concern I would think.
Old 23-10-2013, 13:56   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In this case I think any production made light would be found to be fine, but the jar from the back stay could cause some concern I would think.
I'm not at all worried about it. As long as my light is bright, I'm happy, and its brighter then most. I use my anchor light every night too... I have to trust it.

Oh, I have that engineering thingy too. I'm pretty much a belts and suspenders sort of girl. If need be, I can provide my own engineering stamp as approval in a court of law.
Old 23-10-2013, 14:15   #120

Quote:

I'm not at all worried about it. As long as my light is bright, I'm happy, and its brighter then most. I use my anchor light every night too... I have to trust it.

Oh, I have that engineering thingy too. I'm pretty much a belts and suspenders sort of girl. If need be, I can provide my own engineering stamp as approval in a court of law.
Nice. Will you stamp my homemade light drawings for free?

Tags
anchor, paracelle