Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 07:41   #91

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: LED Anchor Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Some solar regulators incorporate a day/night sensing function which can be switced through an auxiliary terminal.
If you have solar panels but not the sensing function above, simply place a 12V NC relay on the anchor light with the coil going to the solar panel input into the regulator. This assumes you are using nominal 12V panels - higher ones need a different voltage relay.

When the panels are active, the relay opens and turns off the anchor light. When the panel voltage drops below 12V, the relay closes and the anchor light turns on.

I wired ours this way for many years before we got a new light with a sensor built in.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:52   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If you have solar panels but not the sensing function above, simply place a 12V NC relay on the anchor light with the coil going to the solar panel input into the regulator. This assumes you are using nominal 12V panels - higher ones need a different voltage relay.
The problem with this is the power consumption of the relay coil can be greater than the power saved by turning of the LEDs.
You could use a latching relay but they are difficult to get.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 12:59   #93

Boat: Roberts 345 (modified)

I realize this is too late for the original post, but for some reason I still can't keep quiet.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Lopolight.

We have a combined tricolor and anchor light. We got it some years back while racing offshore races, but when we started to sell our racer/cruiser we kind of stripped her of the cool things.

Our current boat (100% cruising) had a led tricolor/anchor light that was installed to the old casing in Papeete (if I remember right or at least somewhere on the Pacific) but we exchanged it because this Lopolight is very compact and watertight. I know it's a bit on the expensive side, but when it comes to navigation and anchor lights we just want to have the best.
Jonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 13:30   #94

Boat: Rafiki 37

The Dangers Of Complex High-Tech Gear On A Voyaging Sailboat
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 13:39   #95

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: LED Anchor Light

Nice write up. I HAD been looking that way. Thanks.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 14:14   #96

Boat: Outbound 44

These days I can't see not having an LED tri-color and anchor light. The power savings is just too great. There are a number of others who have posted problems with Lopolights LED nav lights. They don't seem to be any better than the ones that are much less. High price in marine gear does not always equate to high quality or performance.
Old 13-10-2013, 14:57   #97

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
These days I can't see not having an LED tri-color and anchor light. The power savings is just too great. There are a number of others who have posted problems with Lopolights LED nav lights. They don't seem to be any better than the ones that are much less. High price in marine gear does not always equate to high quality or performance.
Before LEDs, the main attraction (to me, at least) of a tricolor was the power savings of one bulb instead of two or three. With LEDs, that's pretty much a non-issue. My current boat does not have a tricolor. I'm changing the deck-level nav lights over to LEDs but not adding a tricolor. I understand the arguments of added visibility and spray protection from having the light at the top of the mast, but I'd rather have the easier access of the deck-level lights.
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 15:13   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sea Monkey View Post
Before LEDs, the main attraction (to me, at least) of a tricolor was the power savings of one bulb instead of two or three. With LEDs, that's pretty much a non-issue. My current boat does not have a tricolor. I'm changing the deck-level nav lights over to LEDs but not adding a tricolor. I understand the arguments of added visibility and spray protection from having the light at the top of the mast, but I'd rather have the easier access of the deck-level lights.
The visibility of a mast head light is so superior to deck level lights. Even if I am powering, I use the mast head tri offshore, as I'd rather be seen than perfectly legal. It is surprising how quickly you loose deck level lights on a sailboat offshore and how far away you can still pickup mast head lights. We sailed up the east coast this summer with a friend whose mast head light was out. They were often only a mile or less away and we would loose them in seas at night.
Old 13-10-2013, 15:19   #99

Boat: CORBIN 39

egads, folks, get a life
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 15:33   #100

Boat: Mainship 34, Flying Scot

I've got a Bebi anchor light that I'm very satisfied with. It's quite bright and makes the boat easier to find in an achorage. It'll be on the boat as long as it works!
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 15:37   #101

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Why can't I just buy one of these and plug it in my already available anchor plug?

Amazon.com: LEDwholesalers Bayonet Double Contact BA15d Red 8-30V DC & 12V AC60 LED 3.5 Watt, 1421RD: Automotive
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 15:43   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
Why can't I just buy one of these and plug it in my already available anchor plug?

Amazon.com: LEDwholesalers Bayonet Double Contact BA15d Red 8-30V DC & 12V AC60 LED 3.5 Watt, 1421RD: Automotive
The low-cost LEDs and unfortunately some of the high priced LEDs give off a lot of RF noise, interfering with VHF radios. For 8 bucks you can try it out.
Old 13-10-2013, 16:11   #103

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Thanks, figure I'll give it a shot.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 16:17   #104
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I had really good luck with an innovative lighting LED all around light for anchor on my last ketch.

Although not technically legal, I plan to use just this on the masthead and deck mounted vow light on my new cat. When inshore, I'll use both when underway and offshore will use just the white all around unless I sight other vessels.

In the pacific, prior to LEDs I used a 10w anchor 25 w tricolor combo. When sailing far offshore, I would use just the white and switch to the tricolor if sighted traffic. If motoring offshore, I would still display the tricolor unless sighting another vessel.

I think being seen is the most important issue and most of us are planning to give way to large ships anyway, whether we are under sail or power.
Old 14-10-2013, 00:18   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
When sailing far offshore, I would use just the white and switch to the tricolor if sighted traffic.
Please reconsider this plan.

This sort of practice used to be used in the days before LEDs / tricolours were commonplace. It produced a few tense moments trying to ascertain the direction of travel of another sailboat.

These days with low power relatively inexpensive LEDs there is really no excuse.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, paracelle