Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 08:04   #16

Boat: Catalina, 25 SK
Re: Leaving boat unattended with solar

I have a 12 Volt, 5 Watt panel that is always connected to the battery bank. The boat is in FL and I leave the boat for a month or so at a time. The batteries are always fully charged when I return. I have a 45 Watt panel I use if I need more power when sailing.
Sarge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:10   #17

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Batteries loose a 1/4 amp a day to the air. just sitting, even when not hooked to anything. the lower the state of charge the more you'll loose and higher the humidity will cause more loss too. It can get up to 1/2 an amp. So there will always be room for some charge. Make sure you have plenty air room/flow around the heat sink on the charge controller, as when the panels are putting out more than is needed the extra amperage will get dissipated through heat.

on another boat I had with wind and solar I used a load diverter type controller and ran the load to a heating element in a small tank for hot water. I had fairly hot water most of the time, in the southern trades.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:14   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Might want to worry about raccoons sneaking aboard.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:47   #19

Boat: Outbound 46

We have 350 watts of solar and a 1050 AH AGM house bank. With a Bluesky 3024iL, and with only the bilge pump active, we see several hours a day with voltages well above the battery float voltage. I have often wondered if this is OK, but have chosen to pull the fuse when we are away from the boat. The folks that do caretaking for us put the fuse back in for a day or two periodically to keep the batteries topped up. This seems to work OK.

David
s/v Callisto
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:21   #20

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post
We have 350 watts of solar and a 1050 AH AGM house bank. With a Bluesky 3024iL, and with only the bilge pump active, we see several hours a day with voltages well above the battery float voltage. I have often wondered if this is OK, but have chosen to pull the fuse when we are away from the boat. The folks that do caretaking for us put the fuse back in for a day or two periodically to keep the batteries topped up. This seems to work OK.

David
s/v Callisto
No expert here, I am gleaning all the info I can. After reading the posts of others I wonder why you pull the fuse? Have you had a bad experience we could all learn from?

Also, humid Florida here, it seems those extra volts could be put to good use running a dehumidifier. Which, depending on where it drains, may run the bilge pump every once in a while.

If you are gone for a month or two, would a dehumidifier generate enough fluid to flood a vessel to the point of damaging your sole flooring in that time period if the bilge pump quit?

Tags
solar