Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2013, 19:33   #1

Boat: Seafarer36c
Least Expensive AGM Battery

The least expensive group 27 AGM battery seems to be something called the UB12900, 90 ah. The same battery is being sold by several different outfits. The price ranges from $140 to $220. Shipping extra. Anyone have an opinion on these batteries?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 04:10   #2

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage
Re: Least Expensive AGM Battery

Sorry you haven't had any replies, but I could add some general comments about AGMs that might help.

Cheap AGMs are probably not going to be the best buy.

Some brands have thin plates and can only be used as starter batteries whereas others have very thick plates, like traction batteries, for deep cycle use. True Deep Cycle AGMs are expensive and not so easy to source but they are now becoming more popular, but there are only a few designed for marine use. The problem is that not all AGMs are designed to be discharged 50% or more and then not recharged to 100% almost immediately. Many cheaper ones are designed for Telecoms or Solar standby use, not for mounting in a boat which often falls off 3 metre waves, so check very carefully with the manufacturer that they are rugged enough. AGMs main advantage is they can charge much faster and accept higher charging currents, but not all brands make these claims, so potential new buyers are often confused. Some people on these forums have had bad experiences with AGMs - but maybe they have bought the wrong type. My expensive Lifeline AGMs are in their 10th year!
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 05:43   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Re: Least Expensive AGM Battery

Least Expensive AGM Battery

FREE 2 year old optima blue tops from generator maintenance company.

Battery replacement is part of their service package.

Other place to check, is large UPS installations, they may be 5 or 6 years old, but will still have a few good years left in them for the price.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, battery