Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2009, 15:49   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Largest battery charger for Honda 1000?

I have an oem charger that starts charging at 15A and slowly counts down. To minimize run time on my generator, I want to get a charger that can slam the juice in there. I know there must be a limit on how big I can go. I don't want to buy a 40A if my gen will only push it to 20A. Anyone in the know please sound off. Also if you know of a particular charger that works well with the eu1000 please advise.
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 16:09   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Iota makes a great charger - I use a 75 amp charger on my Honda 2000
I think you could use a 45 amp one
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 16:28   #3
Kai Nui

Simple answer is Amps x Volts = Watts. Other factors are efficiency If your genset can produce a steady 1kw of power, that is the equivalent of 83.3 Amps at 12 volt DC. If your charger is 90% efficient, you can charge at 74.97 amps.
I would recomend reading the maximum draw on the charger, and the maximum sustained output on your genset to confirm they match.
Old 25-02-2009, 16:41   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
It's not that simple. Most battery mfgs recommend you not bulk charge at a rate greater than 25% battery capacity. It is possible to cook the batteries and prematurely kill them if you don't consider it as part of an entire system as oppsoed to thinking just in terms of a simgle component.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 17:13   #5
Kai Nui

You are correct. In fact, a charge rate of 10% is preferred, but some would disagree. That said, I did not mention it because it was outside the original question.
Old 25-02-2009, 17:21   #6
Eternal Member

And the answer is.....

....an Iota 45A w/IQ4 internal or external regulator

IMO,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 17:53   #7

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
It's 1000 watts, 8.3 amps max. 900 watts or 7.5 amps continuous. Manual says to not exceed 30 minutes at power levels above continuous.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...s/31ZT3610.pdf

Unless you're heavily discharging large banks your charger will most likely be throttling back before a half hour has gone by. On the other hand finding a charger that is rated between max and continuous power is probably not an issue.

iota 30 max current draw 7 amps at 108 volts
iota 45 max current draw 11 amps at 108 volts

RAMs system of the 2000 with the iota 75 is a rare match of the maximums. This doesn't take into account power factors though.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 20:04   #8

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
Honda EU1000 and Truecharge 40

I run a Xantrex Truecharge 40 off a Honda 1000 most of the time. If the batteries are down a bit, the charger starts at about 38 amps and over the next few hours drops to the 20's. The 1000 handles it very well, based on the rpm I think it could handle a larger charger, probably over 50 amps. It's been a great set up I have used it for 5 years and had no issues, my battery bank is 880 amp-hours so I could handle a lot more power and will probably up grade to a 120 amp charger which will not work with the Honda 1000.
Old 25-02-2009, 20:25   #9

Boat: csy 37
i've been charging my battery bank with a honda 1000

i have four trojan t-105's and an sc225 - about 550 amp hours battery capacity. when anchored out (yes, i'm going to install solar panels someday) rather than start up the diesel i use my honda 1000. very quiet and very reliable.

my charger is an automobile battery charger, 35 amp max. it's one of those smart chargers that gradually tapers down from 35 amps. i've found that if i run it every morning it takes about two hours to bring my battery bank back up, by which time it's charging in the 20+ amp range. i think the brand name is 'vector'. because it's designed for car charging it comes with clip on leads so i have to open the battery box and connect it up, but my batt's are pretty accessible so it's not much of a problem.

i bought it at walmarts a few years ago for 60 bucks. it seems to have been replaced by a 40 amp charger that sells for about 90 bucks. i have no doubt that the honda could run that charger too.

don't bother using the 12 volt charger that comes with the honda. it only puts out about 8 amps - would take forever to bring the battery bank back up.

the reason i don't use my onboard charger is that it's an old 10 amp unit and would take too long to charge the batteries. when i get rich i'll probably replace it with a 30 or 40 amp onboard charger and then run that from the honda.....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 22:00   #10

Boat: S2 11.0C 36' Puka Wai
I've got an Iota 45A charger and I am able to run it off my Honda. The Honda is an older one so it only puts out 700w, not near enough for the charger, but somehow the charger reduces its output (and input requirements). It will charge at 27A for about 20 min and then the regulator starts ruducing the charging current as the batteries start accepting less. The 45A Ioata would work well for you, its only a little bit more than the 35A.
Old 26-02-2009, 15:05   #11

So, the Iota45 and xantrex40 both seem like good options. The real question is where can I buy one? I'm limited to a retail location in south or central FL that is fairly close to a marina. Buying one online would be the obvious best choice but I don't trust something like that being sent general delivery to some post office, that is if anyone would even ship that way.
Old 27-02-2009, 09:43   #12

I got mine where I get all my solar panels
Iota DLS-45 12 volt 45 amp regulated battery charger.
Don't forget the little add-on 4-stage controller.
UPS will deliver it right to the boat, although in my case he called me cus he was too lazy to walk all the way to the end of the dock.
If your marina sucks, use that address anyways and then go pick it up at the UPS place when they call to say they can't deliver.
Old 27-02-2009, 10:05   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I think you are going to have a hard time finding one retail. Just plan ahead, and have it shipped general delivery to a future destination's P.O. Make sure you pick the office that is nearest where you will be! or call ahead to a marina and let them know what you are doing. The Iota is a great charger, and well worth the $$$ and time. Just make sure to mount it in a dry location, as it is not marinized. I bought mine based on recommendations here, I think it was Bill. Works like a charm.

Order from the retailer over the phone too, so they know what you are doing.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 15:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I got mine where I get all my solar panels
Iota DLS-45 12 volt 45 amp regulated battery charger.
Don't forget the little add-on 4-stage controller.
UPS will deliver it right to the boat, although in my case he called me cus he was too lazy to walk all the way to the end of the dock.
If your marina sucks, use that address anyways and then go pick it up at the UPS place when they call to say they can't deliver.
Great tip. $142 is quite a bargain. Thanks.
Old 27-02-2009, 15:29   #15

Yes, the have pretty decent prices there, but I think the 4-stage module is another $30 or so. Without it, its a "dumb" charger - not so good.

Tags
battery, honda