Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 04:05   #1

Lagoon 400 - Equalize all batteries at once or separately?

Hello CF

Here is a question that has probably been answered, but I didn't find it with the search function....

I have four 120 Amp lead acid house batteries on my Lagoon 400. They are about 14 months old, and after a recent 1 month cruise I am not convinced they are performing up to specs. I keep the cells topped off with distilled water and charge them (with generator or motors) every day. I try to have them at 100% in the evening before we go to bed, but they are down to ~50% by 0800 (the overnight load is the anchor light, cabin fans, refrigerator, and freezer)

I just purchased an Optimate6 battery charger. This charger has an automatic 9-step testing/charging process that includes an equalization phase if needed. The batteries are now fully charged (on shore power for a couple of weeks). I will check the specific gravity of each cell before/during/after using the charger, and I plan on disconnecting the battery bank from the boat before using the charger.

Here is my question:

Should I keep the batteries connected together while I use the Optimate6, or should I test/equalize/charge each battery separately? On one hand, it seems to make sense to equalize all the batteries at once (isn't that the point?). On the other hand equalizing one at a time may help me find out if one (or more...) of the batteries is dragging down the entire bank.

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm sure I'll learn alot from your posts.

Bill
Beach View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:21   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Lagoon 400 - Equalize all batteries at once or separately?

Each battery is a 6* 2V cells in series.

These are what need to be "equalized" aka balanced against each other.

The 6S batteries are not connected at the cell level, just at 12V.

The ideal is each unit treated separately for such maintenance routines.

This will be more precise, as they wear unevenly, a huge benefit is the testing aspect. If you do the whole bank at once you can't spot the weak link, which can cause problems for the whole bank.

Of course, doing the whole bank at once is better than delaying too long, or not doing it at all.

Many owners consider breaking the bank down an onerous job, value convenience over precision.

How you balance the two factors is of course up to you.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lagoon, lagoon 400