Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 18:50   #1

Kubota Alternator Terminals Schematic

I'm working on a 4-cylinder Kubota deisal auxiliary engine with what appears to be a Kubota 34070-75600 alternator. What's confusing to me is that there is only a single wire (orange) coming from the L-IG terminal block. I haven't found a schematic yet that labels which is which. From what I've read, either terminal might be used to excite the coil. What the orange wire actually does is run up to the ignition switch where it terminates on a terminal with all the instrument lights, so I surmise that it is energized when the switch is in the "ON" position. From this I surmise that it excites the alternator field.

The other wire (besides the BATT+ connection), the grey wire, runs up to the tachometer's "SIG" terminal, so I surmise that that is exactly what it is.

I'm very green to all of this, so any words from the wise would be welcome. Little of this is as the drawing, it seems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_154545582.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	171934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_153804425.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	171935  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_153744581.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	171936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_154959041.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	171937  

chollapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 21:14   #2

Location: Home port is San Diego, California, but Rutea is currently cruising the west coast of Central America.
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Kubota Alternator Terminals Schematic

It sounds like you have it figured out: The orange wire is the ignition (activates the field), the grey wire is for the tachometer and the two puny red wires are your BAT+. Is there supposed to be something else?

nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 02:10   #3

I'd just like to know for certain whether the orange wire is on L or IG. I haven't found markings or a schematic showing which terminal is L and which is IG. Anyone able to tell me where to look? Thanks.
Old 18-06-2018, 05:46   #4
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
I'm working on a 4-cylinder Kubota deisal auxiliary engine with what appears to be a Kubota 34070-75600 alternator. What's confusing to me is that there is only a single wire (orange) coming from the L-IG terminal block. I haven't found a schematic yet that labels which is which. From what I've read, either terminal might be used to excite the coil. What the orange wire actually does is run up to the ignition switch where it terminates on a terminal with all the instrument lights, so I surmise that it is energized when the switch is in the "ON" position. From this I surmise that it excites the alternator field.

The other wire (besides the BATT+ connection), the grey wire, runs up to the tachometer's "SIG" terminal, so I surmise that that is exactly what it is.

I'm very green to all of this, so any words from the wise would be welcome. Little of this is as the drawing, it seems.
Welcome aboard CF, chollapete, tough first post

This link suggests the terminal orientation for the Kubota 340-75600 is such that the orange wire is on the IG terminal and the L terminal isn't currently connected. It actually excites the regulator rather than the field; the field is excited by the regulator.

Quality NIPPON DENSO Heavy Duty Alternator - 100211-4650 manufacturer from Taiwan | DAH KEE Co., Ltd.

Note the Dah Kee 12199 = Kutoba OEM 34070-75600 = Nippon Denso 100211-4650

This should help. Note there is no standard arrangements for terminal orientation across different alternators.

There are dozens of ways that alternators can be wired and certainly some won't work by connecting +ve to the L (lamp) terminal.

FWIW, this link might be helpful in the future. Quality NIPPON DENSO Heavy Duty Alternator - 100211-4650 manufacturer from Taiwan | DAH KEE Co., Ltd.

BTW, is there a problem with the alternator right now?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 07:24   #5

No. My buddy is just refurbishing his new boat. I'm a landlubber electrician interested in sailing. Thanks.
Old 18-06-2018, 08:38   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
No. My buddy is just refurbishing his new boat. I'm a landlubber electrician interested in sailing. Thanks.

Congrats on an interesting first query. I have a Beta 60, and so I probably have that stock alternator. I know my "Beta" starter is a Denso 2 KW, because I tracked down a spare for it after it got wet and had to be serviced. Tell your buddy that there are resources for Kubota owners that cross-ref most of the "marine" parts with "lubberly" much cheaper, industrial-grade equivalents. Leaves more $$$ for the rum!

Tags
alternator