Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2014, 15:12   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 18
Kohler 8KW Generator

I have a 1989 Carver 4207 with a Kohler 8KW Diesel Generator. I don't have the manual nor any diagrams showing the location of the zinc(s). Any help would be appreciated.
__________________

__________________
mikekomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 15:32   #2
Registered User
 
Wonderinlost's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NJ
Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Posts: 229
Re: Kohler 8KW Generator

::

Pardon my wonder. Zinc dedicated to a genset? I thought the whole electrical system was tied together and the zinc helps the metal under the water not to have galvanic corrosion as the zinc dissipates.

It's a day of learning as I'm bed ridden on this rainy day.

wondering around with no destionation
__________________

__________________
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 15:45   #3
Registered User
 
LeaseOnLife's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: out cruising again
Boat: Sailboat
Posts: 1,046
Re: Kohler 8KW Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekomm View Post
I have a 1989 Carver 4207 with a Kohler 8KW Diesel Generator. I don't have the manual nor any diagrams showing the location of the zinc(s). Any help would be appreciated.
Attached is a page from manual for a newer Kohler Generator. It could be a pencil anode plug in the heat exchanger.

Dirk
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TP6053.pdf (141.2 KB, 82 views)
__________________
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 05:49   #4
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,980
Re: Kohler 8KW Generator

If it's a model 8EOZ, the zinc is near the lower right front, just underneath the leading edge of the heat exchangers. If you PM my your e-mail address, I can send you the service manual and the parts manual.

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 04:35   #5
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,726
Re: Kohler 8KW Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderinlost View Post
::

Pardon my wonder. Zinc dedicated to a genset? I thought the whole electrical system was tied together and the zinc helps the metal under the water not to have galvanic corrosion as the zinc dissipates.

It's a day of learning as I'm bed ridden on this rainy day.

wondering around with no destionation
Many inboard engines and generators have pencil zincs inside the cooling system.

The Kohler diesel generators have them inserted inside the heat exchanger, which is a heavy copper pipe like thing slung underneath the front of the engine.

However, I would bet dollars to donuts that the OP has a petrol/gasoline powered Kohler generator, which is a completely different unit. It would be good for him to download a service or operators manual.
__________________
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 10:26   #6
Registered User
 
Wonderinlost's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NJ
Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Posts: 229
Re: Kohler 8KW Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Many inboard engines and generators have pencil zincs inside the cooling system.

The Kohler diesel generators have them inserted inside the heat exchanger, which is a heavy copper pipe like thing slung underneath the front of the engine.

However, I would bet dollars to donuts that the OP has a petrol/gasoline powered Kohler generator, which is a completely different unit. It would be good for him to download a service or operators manual.
I see. Makes sence copper to other metal want something there as well to sacrifice the. The main colling system and dissimilar metals. Ty.

wondering around with no destionation
__________________

__________________
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8kw Mastervolt Generator sv Hope-Joy Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 2 15-08-2013 13:19
Kohler 8kW Genset - Bleeding? Ndavies Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 21-12-2012 11:21
For Sale: Northern Lights Generator Parts (8kw) H2OHOBO Classifieds Archive 0 15-08-2011 19:17
Problem with Westerbeke 3.8KW Generator Mike Sibley Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 6 14-01-2009 05:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.