Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 09:36   #16

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
1000 watt or 2000 watt

I would only buy the larger unit if I had the need for more watts.
As I am able to run a small heater, battery charger and microwave, plus a drill and grinder for maintainence, I am happy with the 1000 watt Honda.
I think it weighs 26 pounds dry, which is about the same weight as a long HD extension cord. It is easier to carry the Honda to the job with a smaller cord, than it is to unravel the HD cord.
When on the boat I consider it my back up in case I actually flatten the battery running the fridge. Later I will assign two batteries for that, and have a dedicated starting battery. It is nice to know I have a reliable fail safe system. If the Yanmar diesel could be crank started the need would not be as great. What I would like to see is a diesel with a foot crank like the motorcycles. My 750cc 85 hp Norton with 10 1/2 to 1 compression was mostly push and bump started, but the foot crank worked fine when installed.
Also if I later need 2000 watts I can get another 1000 watt unit and run them together.
My need for larger units has been to run the farm in case of a power outage, but the farm is for sale and I have already sold the 6500 watt B&S powered unit. It was noisy running at 3600 revs.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 18:45   #17

Boat: Currently Boatless
I emailed Xantrex today to find out whether the 1000w generator would work with my charging system. They sent me a link to a very interesting article, if you are intersted how to size a portable gen set. Short of it is I think I can program my Link system charger to limit the amount of current draw, they recommend 5A so it may be possible to get the 1000w generator to work.

www.xantrex.com/web/id/735/docserve.asp

Cheers,
Kevin
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote