Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 11:54   #1

Question Italian motorboat to FLORIDA : ?!?!?!?

hello guys !

what a beautiful forum you have !!!!!!!!

Im here because Id like to import in the Us an italian boat.

Its a Pershing 54

Id like to import it in Miami and use/charter it.

Im getting a lot of informations regarding the shipment, fees, shipyards costs, marina costs, insurances.

The issue im getting most problems with is the refitting to follow Us standards and in particular the electrical one.

The boat has:

Generator
1 x 13,5 Kw Kohler
Electrical system
24V 220V 50hz

While I know in the Us the standard is 110V 60hz, am i right ?

Now the doubts.

I contacted a shipyard guy and told me I have to replace everything and will cost 40.000 $

WHATTTTTTT ???

I know friends who cruise and live in the Us on italian boats and im sure they never went through expenses like that.

And i also found online some posts of peopleowning italian/european boats living/cruising in the Us stating they are not having problems with their electrical system.

Whats the truth ???

Are there converters to suit this job???
Or using 60hz instead of 50hz will just run motors little faster but most likely no major problem ???
or that huge expense is really the only way to go ??? (in that case i think im not importing the boat)

Thanks guys
Electricity is not my subject at all.
cala86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Italian motorboat to FLORIDA : ?!?!?!?

USA has two common AC power. 120V and 240V, both of course 60 Hz. Most electrical appliances will use the 120V power but large, high power appliances like electric stoves, large air conditioners, electric heating systems will use 240V.

Another difference. EU power 230V 50 Hz is one hot wire, one neutral wire, one safety/ground wire. US 120V 60 Hz is the same: one hot, one neutral, one safety. 240V is two hot, one neutral, one safety. The 240V is between the two hot wires and does not use the neutral.

It could possible cost $40,000 to completely redo a large power boat, but that will depend a lot on exactly what you have to replace or change.

If you install a new 60 Hz generator, all new appliances, replace all the electrical outlets then the cost could be very high. Depending on the wiring you might even have to replace the wires.

If you only want to use the boat for charter and it is already completely powered and has all appliances, air conditioning, refrigeration, etc you could keep all the EU power and install a smaller inverter system and some US electrical outlets to power any appliances that guests might bring on board. This would be a much cheaper solution.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cala86 View Post

Id like to import it in Miami and use/charter it.

Are there converters to suit this job???

There are lots of Italian boats built for the US market that are powered for the US.

Your case is different. If you don't want to change anything then go with a system from Atlas that will convert the incoming AC to what you need.

Atlas Marine Systems - Frequency Converters, AC/DC Switchboards, Engineering & Design Services

Keep in mind that if you need to replace any AC powered appliance, they will be hard to find here.

Also you will probably still need an inverter to power the guests small appliances such as hair dryers, etc.

Have you looked into the charter requirements given your circumstances? I think that might be difficult to do.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 13:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
USA has two common AC power. 120V and 240V, both of course 60 Hz. Most electrical appliances will use the 120V power but large, high power appliances like electric stoves, large air conditioners, electric heating systems will use 240V.

Another difference. EU power 230V 50 Hz is one hot wire, one neutral wire, one safety/ground wire. US 120V 60 Hz is the same: one hot, one neutral, one safety. 240V is two hot, one neutral, one safety. The 240V is between the two hot wires and does not use the neutral.

It could possible cost $40,000 to completely redo a large power boat, but that will depend a lot on exactly what you have to replace or change.

If you install a new 60 Hz generator, all new appliances, replace all the electrical outlets then the cost could be very high. Depending on the wiring you might even have to replace the wires.

If you only want to use the boat for charter and it is already completely powered and has all appliances, air conditioning, refrigeration, etc you could keep all the EU power and install a smaller inverter system and some US electrical outlets to power any appliances that guests might bring on board. This would be a much cheaper solution.
yes, its completely powered and has everything in place.

to me go through that massive change and spend 40k is nuts

im just trying to understand if its the only way....but I dont think so because as I said i heard about several italian brokers who exports used italian boat to Florida....even low priced boats. And I heard about people using their italian boats, purchased in europe, here and im sure they didnt spend 40k.
Old 04-12-2014, 14:10   #5

Quote:
yes, its completely powered and has everything in place.

to me go through that massive change and spend 40k is nuts

im just trying to understand if its the only way....but I dont think so because as I said i heard about several italian brokers who exports used italian boat to Florida....even low priced boats. And I heard about people using their italian boats, purchased in europe, here and im sure they didnt spend 40k.
Lots of yachts in Florida have Atlas systems to allow them to use US power.

Otherwise you convert everything over.

Be what it be.

Have you considered selling there and buying here?

How are you going to charter a foreign flagged vessel in US waters? Are you a US citizen?
Old 04-12-2014, 14:24   #6

we remove the flag in Italy and cancel the boat.

And register it in here ? isnt it possible ?

I have a car, a motorcycle, i own my home here. I have an E Visa.
Old 04-12-2014, 14:28   #7

Quote:
we remove the flag in Italy and cancel the boat.

And register it in here ? isnt it possible ?

I have a car, a motorcycle, i own my home here. I have an E Visa.
Have you spoken with a charter agent about what you would like to do?

That might be a good thing to check if you are depending on charter income after it gets here. They will be able to alk with you about what power you need to do that.
Old 04-12-2014, 14:33   #8

yes, I spoke with 2 charter companies and they both said Its a good idea and they would charter it on our behalf if we want (splitting rates)

they did not raise any concern

otherwise we could charter on our own hiring a captain
Old 05-12-2014, 08:57   #9

I would leave the electrical alone and supply a couple of European to American converters about $40.00 USD to the boat so people could run their hair dryers and charge their phones etc. When I traveled in Europe I hade one of these and it works great.

Les
Les Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:08   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Cala,

Welcome to CF

I don't understand your question... You MAJOR reason

1. Are you wanting to provide 120v/60hz for guests?

2. Ability to connect to US shore power?

Both?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Cala,

Welcome to CF

Both?
Hey ))
Thanks

Well, id just need to know what it takes to operate and enjoy a powerboat built with european standards in the Us waters and marinas

Basically clear my mind of any future issue before going through an expensive and complicated task as it is importing a boat from overseas
Old 05-12-2014, 10:19   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Hey ))
Thanks

Well, id just need to know what it takes to operate and enjoy a powerboat built with european standards in the Us waters and marinas

Basically clear my mind of any future issue before going through an expensive and complicated task as it is importing a boat from overseas
To be completely clear on possible problems and expenses you also have to be completely clear on what you will do with the boat, what you want or need to do.

If you want to take the boat to a marina in the US, plug into US power and operate everything perfectly on the boat you have two options.

1. Convert everything on the boat to US systems.
2. Keep all the EU 50 Hz electrical on the boat and install a system that will take US electrical supply and convert to EU standard. For a system that will handle high power like air conditioning, electric cooking, hot water, etc this system would be expensive but I think cheaper than completely changing the boat. Sailpower mentioned a system by Atlas. This will allow you to use everything on your boat by adding just one power converter. Atlas Marine Systems - Frequency Converters, AC/DC Switchboards, Engineering & Design Services

You would still need to provide some US outlets in the boat for charter guests but this would be relatively inexpensive.

Away from a marina you can just operate the boat on the generator on the boat. At the dock in a marina that may not always be the best option.

If you
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:46   #13

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

You need to be sure of the laws regarding chartering a foreign-built vessel in the U.S.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:40   #14

Guys, Atlas systems are big like generators and cost like a new boat...the shipyard guy quoted me 75-100k $

I just sent a request to the charter regarding their requirements
Old 05-12-2014, 11:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Cala,

Welcome to CF

Both?
Number 2 is the question

Number 1 is an easy fix

I often use american devices, appliances etc at my home in italy, just using adapters

Tags
florida, motor