Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2018, 06:44   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Isolation Transformer Source, Make, Model?

My new to me boat needs some work. Lots of work, actually. Particularly on the electrical side of things. Well, particularly everything, but specifically the electrical system is a joke. I want to begin by installing a proper shore power breaker and isolation transformer for 110v, 60Hz, 50a. There don't seem to be a lot of readily available choices for the transformer. It's not like they are all over Amazon, or Worst Marine has them on sale twice a year, or Walmart stocks them next to the mushroom anchors and floaty tubes. Anybody with real experience in this matter?
Old 21-11-2018, 06:53   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: Isolation Transformer Source, Make, Model?

Charles Electric left the marine business about two years ago. I understand that there is a company that is going to start building the equivalent of an iso-boost transformer in the near future. In the meantime, Ward's Marine Electric in Ft. Lauderdale sells the Acme brand isolation transformer. Here is a link to their catalog page:

https://tinyurl.com/ycu6q3ht
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 08:01   #3

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

Take your pick.
https://www.defender.com/category.js...328&id=2290032

I lived in Mandeville for a while. 75% of the yachts around Lake Pontchartrain are in a poor state. It's depressing.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 08:10   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

J.Kitchens
You provided a link for a galvanic isolator, not an isolation transformer.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 08:24   #5

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

I know.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 08:51   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I would go to your local industrial supply business and have them hook you up with a transformer, I'd get a buck boost capable one. It won't say marine or have a pretty case or the pretty "marine price tag".
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 08:58   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I would go to your local industrial supply business and have them hook you up with a transformer, I'd get a buck boost capable one. It won't say marine or have a pretty case or the pretty "marine price tag".

I would try that in fresh water, but not in salt, where the air itself can, under certain conditions, make short work of untinned wire. But then I have a steel boat and a rationale not to cheap out.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:12   #8

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

GM,

My research lead me to select Victron for an isolation transformer to prep our 50A 60hz [FRP] boat for international travel.

However, in the end [since we are not a metal boat and therefore an isolation transformer is not 'required'...] I spent the money on universal voltage battery chargers instead [Sterling Pro] to boost our charging amperage and be compatible with international voltage. That was a win-win for us. [We can live off our batteries and inverter while charging from the Sterling bank of chargers.]

Victron currently still gets my vote if I decided to install an isolation transformer in the future. There are other high quality, reputable brands on the market as well.

In case this is helpful.

Cheers! Bill
Old 21-11-2018, 09:23   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 2012 509, 50.5 ft

Concur with Bill. I installed a Victron Isolation Transformer to convert 230v shore power to 115v to charge my domestic bank. Works great and has the added value of reducing the electrolysis effect while in a Marina reducing the need to change anodes as often. Good quality.
aucoingc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:36   #10

Boat: Beneteau 473, 47ft

Hi,

If you end up wanting a 30A (or two) instead of the 50A let me know, since I still have two isolation transformers that I would like to sell. They are both new. I just got them thinking I needed them but I don't.
Ivanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:36   #11

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
My new to me boat needs some work. Lots of work, actually. Particularly on the electrical side of things. Well, particularly everything, but specifically the electrical system is a joke. I want to begin by installing a proper shore power breaker and isolation transformer for 110v, 60Hz, 50a. There don't seem to be a lot of readily available choices for the transformer. It's not like they are all over Amazon, or Worst Marine has them on sale twice a year, or Walmart stocks them next to the mushroom anchors and floaty tubes. Anybody with real experience in this matter?
Hello Bill. I may be able to help. I have a used SQUARE D SORGEL ISOLATION TRANSFORMER (STYLE: 11551-12645-001, CAT #3S1F, 3 KVA, 60 Hz) that came with our Norseman 447. It was disconnected by the boats second owner and has sat in dry storage for years. To my knowledge it is in good condition. We have no use for the transformer as we cruise now only from Portland to British Columbia. It is yours if you wish for the cost of shipping it to you. Regards, Bob McCarthy, S/V Shamrock, Nonsuch 33
Robert E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:50   #12

Boat: Taswell 43

Our boat was built in Asia, for the Asian market (230v 3-wire, 50Hz power). We installed a galvanic isolator to protect when we were in a marina. When we finally made it to the Caribbean, we ran into US power (110v 3-wire, or 220v 4-wire....both 60Hz). After trying several step-down transformers (none worked beyond a couple of weeks) and doing lots of research, we bought and installed a Victron Auto-Sensing Isolation Transformer. It has some weight to it, but does not hum, does not get warm or hot, and works flawlessly. It senses the incoming voltage (110v or 230v,), outputs the 230v the boat needs, and provides complete isolation. It's very well made, works perfectly, is not especially cheap, but well worth the investment. We're very satisfied.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:59   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I would try that in fresh water, but not in salt, where the air itself can, under certain conditions, make short work of untinned wire. But then I have a steel boat and a rationale not to cheap out.
I've used one aboard the USS Holland or Hunley, I can't remember which since they switched between here and Guam. I don't believe there was ever a problem. I doubt any transformer has tinned wire for the coil windings and they are lacquered up pretty well. JMHO I think cheap is just the price. If you feel more comfortable with a marine plug and play go for it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 10:29   #14

Acme/Hubble make a line of isolation transformers, and are stepping into the void left by Charles with a model that includes automatic boost switching.
Old 21-11-2018, 12:41   #15

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

An alternative way of doing it is to install a charger and inverter then take all you power from the inverter. This creates full isolation and eliminates problems such as poer surges and voltage dropouts all of which can be common on marina supplies. It also saves money as most people want an inverter anyway.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model