Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2018, 12:48   #16

Boat: dutch barge. 61ft
Re: Isolation Transformer Source, Make, Model?

Victron and one of the best dealers is Peter Kennedy PKYS. dot COM
dutch-barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 12:54   #17

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Charles Electric left the marine business about two years ago. I understand that there is a company that is going to start building the equivalent of an iso-boost transformer in the near future. In the meantime, Ward's Marine Electric in Ft. Lauderdale sells the Acme brand isolation transformer. Here is a link to their catalog page:

https://tinyurl.com/ycu6q3ht
I'm pretty sure Charles Industries is still in business. I have one of their IT's that I installed two years ago, and I just ordered another one for a work project.

Marine: Isolation and Boosting Transformers
Old 21-11-2018, 21:30   #18
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

120 volts X 50 amps = 6,000 volt/amps (6.000 VA, or 6kVA).

Marine Puck Isolation Transformer 6000VA | MP6 (I haven't actually tested this unit)

Note that transformers are rated in volt/amps (apparent power), not watts, because the power factor of the load is unknown.

If you are concerned about galvanic currents, be careful not to buy an autotransformer because they don't provide DC isolation.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 04:42   #19
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Strait Shooter: They are still in business, just not in the marine business. See press releasehttp://www.charlesindustries.com/Pre...%20Release.pdf

Cpt Pat: This style of xfmr, used as an isolation xfmr, is not compliant with the current ABYC Standards.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 05:01   #20

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

I have a brand new isolation transformer, never hooked, with the specs you want
For sale at a good price. We never plug into shore power so have no need for it.
The unit is in Florida. I believe if you look up my posts you will see it advertised on cruisers forum.
Mark
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 06:01   #21

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Strait Shooter: They are still in business, just not in the marine business. See press releasehttp://www.charlesindustries.com/Pre...%20Release.pdf

Cpt Pat: This style of xfmr, used as an isolation xfmr, is not compliant with the current ABYC Standards.
What part of the standard is it not compliant with? I’m not disagreeing, I just want to know.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 06:15   #22
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Xfmrs with primary and secondary windings are required to have an electrostatic shield between the windings that is connected to the safety ground on the shore side. Switch mode xfmrs do not have windings so they are exempted from this requirement.
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 07:01   #23

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Mastervolt makes one of the best ones out there. I bought the Mastervolt Mass GI 3.5 when I did a complete rewire of my boat. Unfortunately, the one I needed was the Mass GI 7 (for my 30amp setup). The Mastervolt company was very understanding and allowed me to send it back and pay the difference to upgrade to the Mass GI 7. I never ended up installing it because the space I dedicated and pre-wired for the Mass GI 3.5 was not large enough for the Mass GI 7. After about a year of thinking about it, I ended up selling it "new in box" and recouped most of the cost. They can be purchased through West Marine (a Mastervolt dealer) but are also available on Amazon for about the same price - about $2000.
When I first installed the 3.5, it worked great unless I tried to utilize all 30 amps at once. Then the breakers would trip. After talking to Mastervolt, I realized the model numbers had confused me. I thought that "3.5" stood for 35 amps at 120 volts. It doesn't. But you can link more that one together to get as many amps as you want. Or, get the more powerful Mass GI 7. Read the reviews on it. It has very advanced electronics, overcoming some of the problems other manufacturers have had.
Wish I had room for it without doing a lot of changes to the wiring and relocating other newly installed equipment.

https://www.mastervolt.com/products/...gi-70-kva-32a/
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 07:12   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Xfmrs with primary and secondary windings are required to have an electrostatic shield between the windings that is connected to the safety ground on the shore side. Switch mode xfmrs do not have windings so they are exempted from this requirement.
A good point. The shield would come into play if there was a common-mode transient, such as a lightning hit on either the shore or boat side of the windings.
Old 22-11-2018, 07:44   #25
cruiser

I took a look at the Mastervolt "IVET" isolation transformers. I don't see an electrostatic shield on those units either, even though Mastervolt claims ABYC compliance.

Schematic: https://images.mastervolt.nl/files/C...IVET060901.pdf

Catalog: https://www.mastervolt.com/products/...abinet/ivet-6/

It's important to remove all loads on the secondary (boat) side before disconnecting the mains (shore power) connection. Of course, you have no control over power outages. I used a smaller step-down transformer (same principal) while I lived in Sweden for my 120 volt appliances. I found that when power failed on the primary (mains) winding I'd get a huge inductive kick-back transient as the transformer field collapsed. I added a large varistor (MOV) across the primary as a snubber to absorb the transient. One of these should do the job: https://www.alliedelec.com/epcos-b72280b151k1/70102732/. It'll also protect your primary from voltage spikes.

I'd also add my own circuit breaker on the mains side. I don't trust shore power breakers to interrupt faults. Rust never sleeps.
Old 22-11-2018, 08:13   #26

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
I took a look at the Mastervolt "IVET" isolation transformers. I don't see an electrostatic shield on those units either, even though Mastervolt claims ABYC compliance.

Schematic: https://images.mastervolt.nl/files/C...IVET060901.pdf

Catalog: https://www.mastervolt.com/products/...abinet/ivet-6/

It's important to remove all loads on the secondary (boat) side before disconnecting the mains (shore power) connection. Of course, you have no control over power outages. I used a smaller step-down transformer (same principal) while I lived in Sweden for my 120 volt appliances. I found that when power failed on the primary (mains) winding I'd get a huge inductive kick-back transient. I added a large (100 joule) varistor (MOV) across the primary as a snubber to absorb the transient.

The "IVET" is not the Mastervolt product I bought. See my link to the Mass GI 7.
I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't discuss the specific technology but it does state that this product uses "high frequency switching" technology.
It is ABYC certified and I asked an ABYC certified marine electrician about the Mass GI series of products. He gave it a thumbs up.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 08:53   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

ABYC 11.7.1.
Isolation Transformers - If used, an isolation transformer shall be of the encapsulated type and shall meet the requirements of UL 1561, Dry Type General Purpose and Power Transformers and the following additional requirements.
The transformer case is to be metallic with a grounding terminal provided.
The transformer shall be tested and labeled by an independent laboratory to establish compliance with the requirements of ABYC E-11.7.1.
(See E-11.17, DIAGRAM 6 and DIAGRAM 7.)

Shorepower transformers, used in marine applications, should carry a UL Marine approval (many transformers are UL approved, few carry a UL Marine approval) as well as complying with ABYC E-11.17, last revised in 2012.
Many older transformers carry an ABYC E-8 approval, which is outdated.

Recent changes to ABYC E-11 AC and DC Electrical Systems for Boats now permit the use of high frequency transformers; allowing designers to build smaller and lighter transformers for pleasure craft.

Isolation Transformers with a Boost Feature PBB Magazine
https://www.proboat.com/2018/10/isol...boost-feature/

Acme Electric (a Hubbell Co.)
N56 W13385 Silver Spring Dr., Menomonee Falls, WI 53051 USA
Tel. 800–334–5214.
https://www.hubbell.com/acmeelectric/en

A.N.G. Converters
3200 S. Andrews Ave., Suite 207, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 USA,
Tel. 786–447–5273.
https://www.angconverters.com/isoboost/

Atlas Marine Systems, 1801 S. Perimeter Rd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309 USA,
Tel. 888–476–8687, 954–735–6767.
https://www.atlasmarinesystems.com/products/

Energy Solutions, 52-54 Riverside, Sir Thomas Longley Rd., Medway City Estate, Rochester, Kent ME2 4DP, U.K., tel. +44 1634 290772.
https://www.energy-solutions.co.uk/p...n-transformers

ProMariner ProSafe Isolation Transformer ➥ https://www.partmarine.com/static/fi...756df84780.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 15:51   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
A good point. The shield would come into play if there was a common-mode transient, such as a lightning hit on either the shore or boat side of the windings.

So this, Marine Puck Isolation Transformer 6000VA | MP6 , is not compliant? Too bad. Looked like a very flexible solution. I do NOT want any sort of switching mode power supply or high frequency whateverthehell... looking for a plain transformer with no mosfets, SCRs, optoisolators, microprocessors, whatever in it, just good old copper and core. I am starting practically from scratch here on a boat that potentially will have considerable resale value so I may as well go for 100% compliance, and I don't want something that a spark or a nearby lightning strike or unplugging something the wrong way is gonna put out of service. IOW, no active devices. Too delicate and fiddly, with a low expectation of still being in service without need of repair for the next 30 years. Not much can go wrong with a plain ol transformer short of melting it down.
Old 22-11-2018, 18:14   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

ProMariner ProSafe Isolation Transformer ➥ https://www.partmarine.com/static/fi...756df84780.pdf

Thanks for that, Gord. The 12kVA 50/60Hz looks like it will do me just fine. Assuming I dont succomb to an attack of the vapours when I see how much it costs. I assume it is totally completely 100% compliant with any and all standards I might be interested in complying with? I have wired my share of boats but this one needs to be done right and properly, and no BS about the wrong wire here or the wrong terminal there or the wrong fuse or CB or plug or screw or whatevah.
Old 22-11-2018, 18:50   #30

my first question is why 120v 50a? I have never seen that on a dock. and I have only ever seen 1 boat that uses that. it is defiantly not a standard. standards are 30a 120v. dual 30a 120v, or 50a 240v.

the mastervolts are stupid because they are only powered rated at 230v. as mentioned above. if running at 120v, you need one twice the VA rating as you thought you needed. where as all the others can run full current at 120 or 240v

if you want an actual transformer one. look for a charles. they may have stopped making them, but I'm guessing you can still buy them new from stores stock.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model