Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 22:03   #1

Is there a Device that Switches Off the Shorepower if the Voltage Goes too High ?

I am looking for a device that switches off the shorepower if the voltage goes too high.

Sometimes in marinas you can get an overvoltage situation, especially if the single phase is taken from the 3 phase in the same electrical box.

It happens ocasionally in the med.

At the moment I have a device, but it can only protect once as it then becomes damaged and needs to be replaced.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 22:37   #2

Yes. Voltage sensing relays can be found at Grainger Industrial Supply and other electrical device purveyors. They are low current devices, and can be used to control high current capacity contactors to prevent connection of the wrong voltage. They can also be used in conjunction with a multi-tap transformer, and contactors, to provide proper voltage. In the USA 208 volt and 240 volt docks are both quite common. Such equipment can automatically give you the proper voltage from either source.

You need to know the various voltages as well as frequencies (50 or 60 Hz) that you will encounter, and have equipment that can handle the range of power supply parameters.

If such components are failing on your boat they are not rated for the current, voltage, or frequency that are being applied.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 01:28   #3

Thanks for the link and the information.

I had a look but still dont find what I am looking for as these devices get damaged with high voltage eg 350v.

I want a device that can protect 220v (110v) against any voltage over say 260 (130v) without being damaged itself.

Something along the following lines would be good.... Has a very high maximum voltage so it is not easily damaged. Can be set to any A/C voltage and then disconnects when this voltage is reached. Then attempts reconnection 2 mins later.

(An analogue voltmeter with a moveable disconnect contact would achieve most of what I am asking for if such a thing existed. Something like a Murphy switchgauge does)
Old 23-01-2011, 02:14   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Isn't this what a fuse is for? or have I got this wrong?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 02:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Isn't this what a fuse is for? or have I got this wrong?

Pete
No, Fuses deal with current load not voltage.
If you put 400v through your 220v systems, the breakers won't trip as they are current related.
Old 23-01-2011, 05:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
? ➥ http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot235.nsf/veritydisplay/c6c24dc7dca5716e65257194003cd4c1/$File/VHXm%20Brochure.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 06:03   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2, 40'
Try an isolation transformer. I use one after my boat which was being commisssioned at the time had the instruments and inverter blown out by a lightening strike on a boat on the hard. The strike went to ground through the jack stand on new 35 ft Beneteau with a concomminute hole in the hull of the Beneteau. On my preveous cat which I owner for seven years, I lost either instruments or electrical devices three times always blaming lighting strikes. I think the strikes were near or in the marina where the boat was kept. Eventually, I checked the marina power over a week and was amazed at the number of electrical spikes. I have experienced one true lightening strike when on the boat. Isolation transformer would help that, but marina based voltage spikes yes. You can also get them which will increase voltage to 220 from 110.

JackP
Jackp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 06:56   #8

Fuss,

The relay that Gord May suggests will do what you need, but note that the contacts are rated at a maximun of 10 amps. If your shorepower connection is rated for a higher load, use this device to control a contactor with higher rated contacts to handle the shorepower current. The ABB relay is here: http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot235.nsf/veritydisplay/c6c24dc7dca5716e65257194003cd4c1/$File/VHXm%20Brochure.pdf.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote