Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 22:28   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
I switched the rocker switch in rapid sequence from "On" to "Charger only" to "On" to "Charger only". I tried several times at various tempos to ensure operation was according to the manual. The Bulk, Absorption, and Float LED's never flashed as they were supposed to.

Has anyone with a Victron Multi successfully initiated an equalizing charge using the front switch? If so, what is the trick?
Yes.... The Trick is to do it slower.... If you read again the instructions it gives you an idea as to the speed... About half a second per sequence I seem to remember.
Too fast and it does not work.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:02   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Is My Victron Multi Dying ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
For such a premium piece of equipment, this is a very stupid design issue; Victron should be ashamed.
My thoughts exactly. You look at the guts on their stuff and it's like a work of art, then you run into something like this. Even the Victron tech support guy could not get it to work.

I spent hours trying every combination and sequence of DIP switches (like drawing out a Boolean logic table) and after my experience I personally don't think the DIP switches and switch sequence programming actually work at all on their own.

Quote:
Yes, I've been able to get mine to go into the equalization mode several times, using the remote control.
Victron's final answer to my problems was to recommend I buy the remote control. Seems like if the unit won't work without the remote it should be part of the package.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 15:33   #123

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Quote:
John,

Yes, I've been able to get mine to go into the equalization mode several times, using the remote control.
My unit does not have a remote control, hence my attempt to use the front panel rocker switch. I'm not sure at this point I want to spend the $$$ for a remote control.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:53   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
My unit does not have a remote control, hence my attempt to use the front panel rocker switch. I'm not sure at this point I want to spend the $$$ for a remote control.
What about the software control? VE Config software you can download free. Then you need a laptop, a standard ethernet cable and the MK2b converter from Victron. I think the converter was $60 or so.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 12:49   #125

Boat: Nonsuch 30 Ultra
Re: Final Chapter/Lessons Learned

Hi there,

My 50amp Victron Phoenix has started making a very irritating sound that I can only think is coming from the fan. It is a low frequency growling/humming that spools up and down all night long and is directly related to the load on the charger (ie., turn a light on and the humming increases).

I pulled the cover off the unit and looked at the circuit board...panicked...and put the cover back on. Can you give me any more guidance on how to get to the fan? I want to try squirting some dry lube on it for a start...replace the fan if necessary.

BTW, Victron are no help...they won't return my correspondance...the charger is well off warranty.

Quote:
This morning I installed a new cooling fan in my Victron and am happy to
report that the charger now charges as expected. I am embarrassed at how long it took me to recognize the real problem, though.

Lessons Learned:
1. Rule out the obvious before trouble shooting issues that were never a
problem before.
2. To test the fan, disconnect J3 or J4 from the main control board. That
trips the overtemperature circuitry which energizes the "temperature" LED
and starts the fan.
3. The over temperature indicator works only in inverter mode. A built in
safety circuit depowers the unit when it overheats in charge mode. (This
was my original problem.)
4. The temperature sensor can be disconnected from the control board by pulling the terminal block off its posts without releasing the set screws holding the wires in.
5. Replacing the fan was relatively simple even though it required
removing both circuit boards from the case to reach it. Anyone with
moderately decent mechanical skills can do it.

Thanks to all of you for your support and advice.

Now back to buffing and waxing.
Island_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 08:06   #126

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Re: Final Chapter/Lessons Learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Moose View Post
Hi there,

I pulled the cover off the unit and looked at the circuit board...panicked...and put the cover back on. Can you give me any more guidance on how to get to the fan? I want to try squirting some dry lube on it for a start...replace the fan if necessary.
Island Moose,
*** My unit may not be built the same as yours so some of this may not apply. ***

Don't let the circuit board frighten you if you have to go in that way to replace the fan - the connections are quite straight forward with either screw connections or slip off terminal connectors. The boards themselves are screwed in place. Simply disconnect the wires and unscrew the mounting screws. Don't mess with anything on the boards themselves. I removed my Victron from the engine room to the dining room table (covered with a beach towel) for easy access and containment of any dropped parts.

If you just want to squirt lube into the fan, try accessing it from the outside. You may have to pull off the cover grate to get complete access but that is only 4 screws.

Good luck,
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, Victron