Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 13:24   #1

Boat: Home made 15 foot sailing dinghy used for coastal and cross channel cruising
Is it OK to use common earth and neutral for AC wiring routes?

I am thinking about adding a shorepower connection, a 240v to 12v battery charger, and a 1600W inverter to a boat that currently has only a 12v system. At the same time considering LiFePo battery. There is an obvious location for the shore power inlet in a cockpit locker. I realise that the battery charger and the inverter are best placed close to the batteries which are well forward near the mast. The 240v supply is mainly needed for galley equipment which is aft and close to the cockpit. So I was assuming that I would have one 240v cable running forwards from the shorepower inlet to the battery area then another running the opposite way back to the galley, following the same route as the first cable most of the way. The thing is that the likely route is through a tubular 'service duct' that at present carries four plastic water pipes but the space left in that duct is small, very tight and maybe even impossible to fit in two 240v cables side by side. I have read that I need something like H07 cable, for 16amp supply with 1.5mm2 per core thats about 10mm diameter, is that the right cable to use? Do I actually need two of these cables, with total of six cores? Obviously I need two live cores but can I have just one earth core and one neutral core in one four core cable? That would fit the limited space better and save a bit of weight - this is supposed to be a performance multihull so I am trying to watch the ounces. Maybe there is some very good reason this would not work or would be potentially lethal?
dinghysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 14:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Is it OK to use common earth and neutral for AC wiring routes?

Use a galvanic isolator between shore-power ground and boat ground !
Old 30-01-2019, 16:11   #3

Boat: Ericson 35-3

If you are going to do this yourself, please please go get some books on proper electrical installation, especially for marine applications and don't trust fools like me on the internet. I know there is some good stuff available specific to boat wiring. Better yet find an electrician buddy to help you.

You need 3 wires going to every ac appliance, hot neutral ground. Ground is there for safety. Hot and neutral are carrying current. If ground is omitted when there is a fault you can end up becoming the ground path and you can become dead.

For sizing the conductors they have to be sized to match the breaker, the breaker is sized based on the load. There are ABYC charts available if you dig around.

Not being mean, just trying to be helpful, people take electricity for granted because it surrounds us every day and seems benign. A miswired boat/house/rv can kill you. quickly.
brownr377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 17:39   #4

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownr377 View Post
A miswired boat/house/rv can kill you. quickly.
Not only can it kill you, but worse, it can kill someone else... even someone not on your boat.

If you are at all unsure of yourself, hire a competent professional. Talk to him (her), listen, watch, and learn. You will be better for it.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 21:58   #5

you can't just run cables from the shore plug to multiple places. you run one cable from the shore plug to an AC panel with a main breaker and sub breakers. just like a house... from there you run your cables to the correct places.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 22:51   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Putting the charger/inverter close to the batteries will minimize the length of the cable runs of the largest cables which are the DC cable runs between charger/inverter or separate charger and inverter. The AC cables are generally fairly small in comparison.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 01:24   #7
Marine Service Provider

i was an electrician on nuclear submarines for 3 years and have actually hooked up a nuclear.reactor. DON'T MESS around HIRE the right AND accountable electrician
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 01:33   #8

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Putting the charger/inverter close to the batteries will minimize the length of the cable runs of the largest cables which are the DC cable runs between charger/inverter or separate charger and inverter. The AC cables are generally fairly small in comparison.

Raymond,

The proper way is to run from the shore inlet to an ELCI breaker. From that breaker you connect two additional breakers each one feeding power to two different areas of the boat (galley & charger).

You may be thinking about how to run the inverter mains output back toward the galley. I think you need to consult with a qualified electrician. There are specific guidelines for safe installation of inverters. It may not be possible on your boat. But a marine electrician may be able to recommend a safe solution. Your situation does not seem well suited to internet guessing. As others have said there is a huge risk of injury with mis-wired mains installations.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:13   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

240 is usually made up of two 120 volt circuits. Unless you NEED 240 forward, you can run just one 120 volt leg forward for the battery charger, etc. If you don't have shore power now, then the assumption is you are adding the galley equipment as well. Why choose 240 volts? I could see an Air Conditioner being 240, but a small galley stove/refrigerator? What amp service are you planning to use? (30/50)

Wires are sized for the load, breaker is sized for the wire.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:19   #10

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

And a GFCI circuit as well
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:23   #11

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Suprised nobody else mentioned it but running mains cabling in duct shared by water pipes wold worry me a lot. When I say 'a lot' I mean I would not go on board even as crew. Combine this with cutting corners on earth lines and there is a definite possibility of all your water supply and fitting carrying live mains volts. Don't touch A/C unless you are sure you know what you are doing.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:53   #12

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
240 is usually made up of two 120 volt circuits. Unless you NEED 240 forward, you can run just one 120 volt leg forward for the battery charger, etc. If you don't have shore power now, then the assumption is you are adding the galley equipment as well. Why choose 240 volts? I could see an Air Conditioner being 240, but a small galley stove/refrigerator? What amp service are you planning to use? (30/50)

The OP is in the UK, and they do things differently over there. 240 volts there is the standard, not 120. You've probably confused the hell out of him! :-)
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:39   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

You want to do this in a 15 foot sailing dinghy??? What are your electric loads?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:47   #14

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post

This gentleman is in the UK. The mains power there is single phase, 220 volts, 50hz. As with US power, there is one hot and one neutral. The hot wire is at 220 all by itself. All of their appliances run on 220, not just high load ones.

Scott
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:55   #15

Boat: Lancer Powersailer, 27
Send a message via Skype™ to MaxEntropy

NO! Watch this for excellent hands on explanation with an ammeter:

https://youtu.be/lI59y1h3MxU
MaxEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, wiring