Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2016, 18:21   #1

Boat: Privilege 435
Is having a steel rudder inviting galvanic corrosion?

I have a fiberglass catamaran. I obtained a walk-on mooring but at low-low tide the port rudder touches bottom so I made up a shorter temporary rudder out of a steel plate welded to a galvanized pipe. I painted it with epoxy barrier coat. It seems to work fine on the boat and doesn't seem to effect handling or show signs of corrosion, however my saildrive zincs are lasting three months.

I have all underwater metals bonded together, including the rudder, and they are also bonded to a hanging zinc. The rudder also has a zinc but this and the 'fish' don't corrode as quickly as the drives zinc. I am plugged to shore power but no other boats around. Salt water.

Is the rudder likely to be the cause of the excessive corrosion? If it is, I can live with it for the convenience of the location but if there is likely to be another problem I need to address it. I appreciate that it's impossible to properly diagnose but any guidance would be appreciated.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 18:50   #2

Re: Is having a steel rudder inviting galvanic corrosion?

what was the old one? fiberglass?

if you added a lot more metal that needs protecting then the zincs will probably last less. though if it's coated the metal shouldn't be "exposed" to water and it shouldn't make a difference from before.

do you have a galvanic isolator / iso transformer? you should if plugged in.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 03:17   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

Check the isolated voltage between the steel rudder and the rest of the bonding system with a multimeter if there is a significant difference then you probably have a corrosion potential. I would guess at "significant" being any more than about 0.1 volt but someone out there might have a better understanding.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 05:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Check the isolated voltage between the steel rudder and the rest of the bonding system with a multimeter....
I've been searching online how to conduct an isolated voltage test but can't seem to find the right way. Can you assist?
Old 31-05-2016, 05:48   #5

Boat: Liberty 458

You need to check the rudders potential relative to the common bonding system.

You then size zincs so that they sacrifice consistently with other zincs. Surface area effects the galvanic current flow and therefore decay rate.

You measure the potential difference of each bonded item relative to a common ground or reference point. Probably the engine.

Have a marine electrician conduct a galvanic survey if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 08:02   #6

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Your zinc problem is likely specific to your setup. All prior comments are spot on. As a teenager my family had a boat with a "barn door" steel rudder. Big zinc, no problems
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 08:12   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Check to insure your boat isn't what is providing the ground for the shore power. Just a SWAG.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 09:11   #8

Boat: Outremer 42

Shore power may not be the cause of the difference but it could well be accelerating the process to the extent that it may not be making a non-issue into an issue. Assuming you have done the previous poster's wise suggestions about potential differences, can you unplug for a longish period then check?
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 09:25   #9

Thanks for all your suggestions. Whilst waiting for delivery of a galvanic isolator (which might take some while to Bermuda) I'm going to disconnect the ground wire on the shore power inlet which apparently does the same thing although doing so could make your hair stand on end when it's not supposed to.

I'll also get an isolation voltage test done. On another thread, I've just read that aluminum anodes are the proper anodes for saildrives in saltwater. I've checked my SD50 manual and it states;

NOTICE:
Failure to use the correct anode material may result in inadequate protection and excessive corrosion of underwater drive system components. Use only zinc or aluminum anodes in brackish and saltwater applications. In freshwater applications, use aluminum or magnesium anodes...

I've always thought that zincs were the proper anode for saltwater. Thoughts?
Old 31-05-2016, 12:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
I've been searching online how to conduct an isolated voltage test but can't seem to find the right way. Can you assist?
If the rudder is connected to the bonding system, disconnect the wire from the rudder and check for any current or voltage between the rudder and the wire from the bonding system. If it's not connected just check between the rudder and the nearest item which is bonded.

If there is no voltage difference there should not be any current anyway but it is the current which is doing the damage.

There is a fairly good treatment on corrosion in the Boatowner's Illustrated Handbook of Wiring, author Charlie Wing printed by McGraw Hill ISBN 0-87742-383-0
Old 31-05-2016, 12:57   #11

SMAC is correct, you need a galvanic isolator the rudder has nothing to do with it
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:22   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

After reading a no. of recent posts. It would seem most people need a isolation transformer. I don't know if iso/trans is a marine product name. I would go to an electrical supply house not something saying marine. If spending the money buy a buck boost transformer and wire it such that the boost could be adjusted. 7KVA would probably serve most.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
SMAC is correct, you need a galvanic isolator the rudder has nothing to do with it
Does AC cause electrolytic corrosion?
Old 03-06-2016, 06:57   #14

Thanks everyone. I'll fit the isolator and report back in a couple of months with an update on the state of my anodes.
Old 03-06-2016, 21:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Does AC cause electrolytic corrosion?
galvanic isolators and iso transformers block DC current. which flows in the AC ground line.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, rudder, steel