Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2011, 01:03   #1

Boat: Beneteau 47.7
Inverter or 12vdc ?

Hi all,
I have a question
Just purchased a new yacht. Beneteau 47.7 cruising version
I am fitting a generator but also debating if to fit an inverter to run my PC and two LCD tv's

I have looked at the calcs and it appears more economical to use a small solid state hard drive PC to run my maxsea software and to run the LCD tv,s 12 volt . I won't be using 230 volts for Anything else unless using the generator.
Any recommendation would be great.
Cheers nick
Tomtom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 01:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Inverter or 12 volt

If you stick with 12v it means you can fire up the puter without having to start the genny or waste power converting it up to mains and then back down again.

BTW, it doesn't have to be a solid state drive. Using a 12 > 19v adapter for a laptop is far more efficient than 240v > 19v. The difference is 2 AH rather than 4AH for me.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 01:24   #3

Boat: Beneteau 47.7
Great response nice and simple.
I actually used a laptop on my last boat and worked fine with adaptor
I just want something a little more fixed and tidy. These small PC,s now fit under chart table and cables can run to the monitors very simply. Looks nice and neat. Also means you can have a wifi aerial at the top of the mast and plumb it in neatly with hard drive box
Thanks again
Nick
Tomtom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 02:05   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Inverter or 12 volt

We do try to keep everything 12v but the myriad of phone and camera chargers defeats me so we have a small portable inverter for those but only use them occasionally and do leave them powered up because they continue to draw power.

Just bought a wifi extender so will be playing with it next week on holiday, portable at first to see how it goes, then may hardware it in.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 04:44   #5

Re: Inverter or 12 Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtom39 View Post
Great response nice and simple.
I actually used a laptop on my last boat and worked fine with adaptor
I just want something a little more fixed and tidy. These small PC,s now fit under chart table and cables can run to the monitors very simply. Looks nice and neat. Also means you can have a wifi aerial at the top of the mast and plumb it in neatly with hard drive box
Thanks again
Nick
A laptop with a work station would give you the best of both worlds, the portability of the laptop and the ability to use a monitor and keyboard with all the accessories connected to the work station base. Click the laptop in and away you go. That's what I'm using at the moment.

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter