Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 12:04   #16

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Re: Inverter-Only Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
All "marine" gear is a "rip-off". Why put stainless on your boat when good old mild steel will work? The issue is not whether a non-marine inverter will "work" or not. It has to do with having a floating ground on your boat. A boat is the one place you do NOT want a floating ground. If you don't understand that you shouldn't be giving advice. IMHO. I don't mean to be disagreeable except that on this kind of stuff I tend to be. If you don't care that is fine.

There are other ways to wire a transfer switch external to an inverter. It is just a electro-mechanical device. A good marine inverter/charger has one already. It's a safety issue for life and safety. Otherwise, who cares?

I understand the OP's issue about redoing anything in something just changed. Frustrating! I have a perfectly fine inverter/charger. If all I am going to do is coastal/inshore boating I'm OK with only this gear. I intend to go offshore again and I also want to add a separate battery charger. The reason is that these types of devices tend to go inop on you at the least pleasant time. My "extra" charger will be a backup to my inverter/charger when it goes bad and I need to replace it or have it repaired in places where it may not be fun to do. On the other hand, a good charger may last the lifetime of the boat so it is a calculated risk and directly related to the quality of the charger. A calculated risk.
Ever heard of anodized aluminum cases? Not carbon steel. You should look at what the new inverter technologies have moved onto.. You're thinking way "Old School". BTW, Isn't Zantrex marine inverters "Anodized aluminum" too?? Also, electrically, they are all the same now. I'm just suggesting people check for themselves. If you want to fine.. If you don't, then thats fine too, but inverter technology has came a long way and there is NO difference between marine, and solar inverters electronically. Just price.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 14:20   #17

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41

This ain't rocket science.

Modified sign wave; Depends on how close to pure sign wave it gets. Cheaper usually means not so close. This will cause some electronics to fail outright ( may not ruin them but they just won't work ) and ALL electric motors to eventually fail. ( if they are one of the cheap inverters )

Simple test. run your drill/fan/aircon/shopvac whatever, on shore power and listen to the sound it makes.

Plug it into a "Cheap" modified sign wave and listen.

You can HEAR it grinding your electric motor to death.

Only a matter of time, and your money.
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 14:39   #18

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
Ever heard of anodized aluminum cases? Not carbon steel. You should look at what the new inverter technologies have moved onto.. You're thinking way "Old School". BTW, Isn't Zantrex marine inverters "Anodized aluminum" too?? Also, electrically, they are all the same now. I'm just suggesting people check for themselves. If you want to fine.. If you don't, then thats fine too, but inverter technology has came a long way and there is NO difference between marine, and solar inverters electronically. Just price.
Jsta, I wasn't talking about the cases on inverters, just that marine stuff often cost more because it has to be higher quality, more reliable, etc. I was trying to make a point (weakly I admit) as to marine versus non-marine quality needs.

I don't think you are understanding what I was saying about the safety issues. It usually is not an issue with a standalone inverter, only inverter/chargers, UNLESS you intend to sync the AC from the inverter with the AC from a genset. The inverters required for that are way more expensive than just a "marine" grade regular inverter IME. Inverters can have a non-stainless case so long as they are properly coated. The case must be grounded for protection in any case (pun intended).
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter