Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 22:00   #1

Inverter only giving 183 V

Hi, greetings from Inhaca, Mozambique. We are here on our annual month long tropical holiday.
We have encountered a problem with our inverter. We are only getting 183 volts a.c. at the plug point and are thus unable to grind our coffee beans.
We have the original Freedom 20 inverter controlled by the Link 1000 by Xantrex on our 2003 Island Spitrit 40.
We only get the 183 volts when loading the inverter with less sensitive devices. The electronics in the coffee grinder prevent it from running at all.
Any suggestions?
Kwella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 00:23   #2

Re: Inverter only giving 183 V

First measuring a non sine wave inverter is tricky. Only some meters will read it correctly.

It's possible the electronics in the grinder also don't like the non sine wave. Did it used to work on this inverter?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 03:28   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwella View Post
Hi, greetings from Inhaca, Mozambique. We are here on our annual month long tropical holiday.
We have encountered a problem with our inverter. We are only getting 183 volts a.c. at the plug point and are thus unable to grind our coffee beans.
We have the original Freedom 20 inverter controlled by the Link 1000 by Xantrex on our 2003 Island Spitrit 40.
We only get the 183 volts when loading the inverter with less sensitive devices. The electronics in the coffee grinder prevent it from running at all.
Any suggestions?

Why not buy US of A appliances? They should work fine on 183V

I wonder if any of these links are relevant?

SOLVED: Low voltage output from inverter - Fixya
www.fixya.com/support/t1586382-low_voltage_output_from_inverter
5 answers
Jan 23, 2009 - High performance low voltage inverters with high stability and preferencial price: ... That shoudl tell you if your device is drawing too much.

Low voltage out of inverter — northernarizona-windandsun
https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/3920/low-voltage-out-of-inverter

May 18, 2009 - Yesterday I checked the voltage on the AC output side and was only ... most efficient small TSW inverter out there--and the price is not too bad.Inveter AC output voltage too high? — northernarizona-windandsun 8 Aug 2016

Low Voltage shut off for inverter — northernarizona-windandsun 27 Jul 2016

Low inverter voltage output - iRV2 Forums
www.irv2.com › ... › THE OWNER'S CORNER
FORUMS › Monaco Owner's Forum
Jun 21, 2013 - 6 posts - ‎5 authors
I ask because my 1800 watt Xantrex inverter had a lower AC output ... a true RMS multi meter, you voltages will be inaccurate, way too low.

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 05:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kwella.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I agree with the general advice that it may be difficult to get an accurate voltage reading with a MSW inverter. As I recall, the inverter changes its waveform as the demand and the input voltage varies, and it makes it difficult for relatively cheap AC voltmeters to measure. In my youth, there was always reference to a specific Fluke meter (87?) that would measure AC volts better than less sophisticated meters.

As for why the appliance isn't working; that's more confusing. Seems like a simple device to have some sort of electronics that cannot work with MSW. Perhaps you could see what works and what doesn't with the current inverter setup and provide more information?

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:16   #6

Boat: Norseman 447

Most inexpensive AC voltmeters will only read the “average” voltage of a waveform. They will then “mathematically” correct this to give you a display voltage. The correction assumes that you’re measuring a sine wave. To accurately measure a non-sine wave voltage, you need an AC voltmeter that measures “True RMS.” If a meter does this, it will say it does in the specifications. If I remember correctly, a nominal 120 volt modified sine wave inverter outputs about 87 volts when measured with an average-reading meter.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:17   #7

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

This situation reminds me of why I always have a hand operated coffee grinder. No coffee is bad juju
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 10:33   #8

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

root mean square, .636 x peak of a sine wave. This gives the DC value of a sine wave. Basically the average of the AC signal.
A coffee grinder is a very basic device. I can't imagine it has any processors in it but rather a on/off switch and the motor. If it is not working even at 183 volts. I would check the grinder.
I would check the voltage without load and with a load. I would suspect it is different. My inverter reduces output when not needed to greatly reduce sacrificial current.
Plug the grinder into a known source.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 11:14   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwella View Post
Any suggestions?
.......buy some instant coffee or filter coffee?
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 11:26   #10

Boat: S2 11.0a

The page below has good pictures of a "modified sine wave", dirty square wave, and the true sine wave your house line power has. Yes, a cheap meter will not be able to measure the RMS voltage correctly when it's not a pure sine wave. I bet the 183 v is correct for a 240v RMS AC MSW inverter.

https://forum.solar-electric.com/dis...-msw-inverters
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 12:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>My inverter reduces output when not needed to greatly reduce sacrificial current.
Plug the grinder into a known source.

That may be the case, needs a minimum load to trigger it to work. Check your manual. Plug in a few lights at AC voltage to increase the load or anything else you may have that draws mains power.

I have a Freedom 15, same unit just smaller.

Still need to know if it worked before or not.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 12:10   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Kwella-
Take the coffee grinder to another boat, or ashore, and see if it works on the same nominal (220/240?) AC power.
If it does work, then you know there may be an inverter problem. If the inverter works with other devices, then it could be "your" coffee grinder does not like modified sine voltage, but generally, small motors aren't very picky about that.
Bottom line, rashly assuming you are not planning to install a new inverter, and the inverter works with other things? Try getting a new coffee grinder, they're fairly cheap. Or get a hand grinder, they are available pretty much anywhere that coffee is, and that totally solves the problem.
If you own this boat...plenty of time for a better fix after your vacation.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 14:15   #13

Boat: Adams 40

Get a hand grinder for your coffee !
Dave Isom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter