Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2009, 13:20   #1

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
Inverter Installation Issue

am wanting to install my xantrek 1500 watt invertor on my boat. question i have is do i need to install any form of protection for it. my current setup is as follows . 110 shore power comes in to a 30 amp breaker from there to 2 plugs inside and 1 plug in the battery compartment for the battery charger. i would like to be able to wire in the invertor so that when not on shore power it would still provide 110 power to the 2 inside outlets but not the charger outlet. as well when i plug back into shore power do i need to worry about the invertor getting damaged or anything. any suggestions ?
thanks
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 13:46   #2

Be sure to put a big fuse in the cable from the battery to the Invertor. Pretty much no way to stop a fire in a big Battery cable......
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 13:50   #3

not too worried about the fusing issue im more concerned with when i hook up the 110 can there be any kind of backfeed that could fry the invertor.
Old 23-03-2009, 14:06   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Michael, on a 27' boat I wouldn't worry much about wiring them together. I'd just leave the systems separate and when you want to use the inverter--plug a short heavy extension cord over to it.

If you really MUST wire it all up together, go to an electrical supply house and ask them for a suitable switch. Tell them you need a 30-amp rated switch (since that's what the shorepower is) that can switch between two sources, to one output. That's the only safe and simple way to do it--but that switch may not be cheap.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 14:44   #5

What you need to install is a transfer switch. This is similar in concept to a battery selector switch which allows you to select which batt will supply 12 volts to the system.

You would wire your shore power to one "side" of the transfer switch and the inverter to the other side. All the loads are connected to the "output".

Blue Seas makes several versions of these switches, for two 3 and even 4 sources I believe such as the 30 amp 2 sources on off 120V AC Rotary 30A OFF + 2 Sources - PN 1481 - Blue Sea Systems.

You will need to fuse or install a circuit breaker for both the shore power and the inverter. If you have other AC loads, such as a battery charger or a heater, you need to connect these as well. Your inverter may be too small to handle the additional loads which may ONLY be used when on show power.

In that case you would need to have a panel which has the 30amp main breaker and two or three breakers of less amps for the other loads including convenience outlets. A panel such as 120 Volt AC 2 Sources - PN 1208 - Blue Sea Systems is what you will also need.

here is a diagram for the above:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H.pdf (135.5 KB, 229 views)
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 15:05   #6

Boat: Norseman 447
We have our inverter wired into our boats system using a relay to switch Hotwater cylinder off when on inverter and on when on Shorepower or Genset, uses live from shorepower or Genset to work relay, saves us from manually having to switch off HW and accidentally flatten our batteries
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 15:12   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Michael, isn't this covered in the Xantrex installation guide?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 15:15   #8

basic installation is covered but nothing about mulitple source inputs shore power etc...
Old 23-03-2009, 15:19   #9

Which Xantrex model is it?

Old 23-03-2009, 15:26   #10

in a prowatt 1750 a few years old now but the owners manual for the new prowatts should be fairly similar. i found a manual which shows the diagram on how to add it to your existing ac system. now as far as a transfer switch do i need to purchase one specifically for marine or can i use something else. thanks
Old 23-03-2009, 15:37   #11

Hi Michael, here's a link to a manual that shows an automatic transfer switch installation for your unit: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/411/docserve.aspx this will NOT cut out your charger circuit...you will need to do that yourself, or wire up yet another relay...

Old 23-03-2009, 15:41   #12

thanks christian this manual has way more info .. can anyone recommend a simple transfer switch?
Old 23-03-2009, 19:01   #13

lewmar make the switch you need. not cheap about $1oo. Unless your inverter is a pass tru unit If it sees shore power it will get killed
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, inverter