Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 21:36   #61

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: Inverter/Generator permanant installation

If carrying extra gasoline for safety or convience is an issue here is a possibility.

YANMAR | YDG5500
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 22:31   #62

Boat: Island Packet 40

Back in the days when I had a small solar power set up I had a 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine with an 85 amp Bosch alternator hanging under it in a box on the aft deck. I used it to bulk charge the house batteries in the mornings for about 45 minutes and then they would top up during the day on the solar. It was also very good for engine starting when the cranking batteries got a bit dodgy.

The long term intention was to cut a hole in the deck and have the alternator and electrics in the boat and the noisy smelly engine outside the boat. It did excellent service for a few years and I eventually gave it to a guy with an all DC electric boat for use as an emergency charger.

At the moment I have a 2.2kw petrol, Honda powered AC genset in a box on the deck which I use for the microwave and to power the small lathe I have aboard. However, when it finally gives up the ghost I am going back to the engine DC alternator arrangement and a large inverter connected to the fairly extensive house battery bank I now have. I use the genset with a 140 amp inverter for emergency starting or battery top up but it tends to blow the capacitor and I have to sit and watch the battery voltage and adjust the ampage output by hand.

When I build the new one I will use a Honda 5hp lawn mower engine and probably a 200 amp alternator under it and mount it in a hatch so I can undo the catches and hoist the whole thing onto the deck for servicing. I am thinking of building an exhaust system with a fresh water heating jacket for hot water and salt water injection to kill the exhaust noise.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:00   #63

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
If carrying extra gasoline for safety or convience is an issue here is a possibility.

YANMAR | YDG5500
Please, please, please do not consider running an open frame diesel (or gas for that matter) generator on deck. This will ruin any good will you may have been granted with a suitcase gen or windgen. It may cause some to resort to unpleasant means of quieting it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:31   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I have a tri-fuel generator as my home emergency generator. I don't think it is any quieter on propane than on gasoline. I try to never run it on gasoline as I need to clean the carb to be sure it will start next hurricane season. I usually just start it once a year in June.

I have a little Honda 2000i for use on my boat. I will probably convert it to propane as my dinghy engine runs on propane. I see no reason to carry both propane and gasoline. I love my little Lehr outboard. It can sit for weeks and fire up on the first pull.

Tags
generator, installation, inverter