Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-01-2014, 08:38   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Inverter/Generator permanant installation

The 3.5kw NextGen can handle 5kw startup loads, as per their specs.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43   #47

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The 3.5kw NextGen can handle 5kw startup loads, as per their specs.

Mark
If we're looking at different specs, please let me know, but I can't find this number anywhere on their 3.5 kw spec sheet. If you're referring to their statement that "This gen-set uses a heavy duty 5.0KVA generator end," this doesn't tell you what the real power is. In fact, their spec sheet states "Output Watts - 3500." pete

Old 08-01-2014, 09:06   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, that is probably the difference - I just looked briefly. We have the 5.5kw (5kw continuous), and when it is loaded up with multiple loads, it still does not have problems starting the 16kbtu AC. The higher start load is very brief - there is a <1sec lugging of the generator and a voltage sag when the AC first starts (with other loads running) and then everything is back to normal quickly.

I am pretty sure NextGen uses the same Markon electrical end for both the 3.5 and 5.5kw generators (they have the same Markon part# and manual), with the difference being the size of engine used to drive them. So electrically, they are the same, but higher loads cannot be handled by the smaller 3.5kw engine. I bet that the engine is fine for brief startup loads, however.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:31   #49

pete33458, now that you have read all the chatter on this subject, I'm curious what your thoughts and plans are? Have you decided what you want to do?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:00   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
pete33458, now that you have read all the chatter on this subject, I'm curious what your thoughts and plans are? Have you decided what you want to do?
Loaded question, thanks for putting me on the spot!

I have decided against using a permanent installation of a portable gasoline generator (which was my initial leaning anyway, but I wanted to hear what other more informed people had to say...). Not that I'm convinced it can't work, it's just that I'm not confident it is the right move, while marine diesels are proven and thus an easy choice. Right now, I'm trying to decide whether to go with a DC or AC generator. This is all hypothetical until I decide on a boat, of course, but the three that are in the running right now all lack generators (one also lacks A/C). And yes, A/C is my primary consideration, otherwise I would just do solar

Hopefully my confession won't put an end to this thread. I've learned a lot from it.

Best, Pete
Old 08-01-2014, 10:40   #51

Didnt mean to put you on the spot. Just trying to keep things constructive and on topic
Old 08-01-2014, 10:43   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Didnt mean to put you on the spot. Just trying to keep things constructive and on topic
I was kidding.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:15   #53

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I too have been milling over a Generator as an alt power source but I have come to the decession to go solar. f The generator ...It's not safe...it requires and additional fuel source..of which requires a seperate container...and depending where u are at finding that source...the noise factor...and it takes up room on the fordeck (assuming u dont have an alt place)...and then there is then maintenance up keep...oil changes..plugs..filters etc., etc. Solar is about the same price but for all purposes requires little up keep...is quiter and a heck of a lot quiter and take up less space (if u do a good job of planning) thats my two cents worth...that and a dollar will get u a cup of coffee...
Old 08-01-2014, 13:37   #54

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I think you are on the right track Pete. If air conditioning is the prime requirement a diesel installed genset makes the most sense. With no AC requirements I would be inclined to spend the money on solar.
Old 08-01-2014, 19:09   #55

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142

I do not think people claiming you will clear an anchorage with the Honda 1k or 2k are basing their opinions on the Honda generators. Some of the cheaper generators do indeed make an ungodly racket, but the hondas cannot be heard from the distance people normally anchor in my experience. Just a few days ago our neighbor 5 slips down was running 3k on his deck. I could not hear it from our boat. The 3k is louder than the 2k, and he was way closer than a boat an anchor would be.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 19:17   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually, they are a bit loud and easily heard. Particularly when they are under full load, when they are surprisingly loud. Or located upwind of you. And on the stern scoop, which focuses the sound.

And there are 5 of them running in the anchorage at the same time.

We tend to be pretty tolerant of them as long as the owners operate them for reasonable times during reasonable hours (and prefer them over most of the damn windgens), but they are not quiet like a small diesel genset. I can usually hear another boat's Honda over our diesel genset.

Mark

Old 08-01-2014, 19:38   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I do not think people claiming you will clear an anchorage with the Honda 1k or 2k are basing their opinions on the Honda generators. Some of the cheaper generators do indeed make an ungodly racket, but the hondas cannot be heard from the distance people normally anchor in my experience. Just a few days ago our neighbor 5 slips down was running 3k on his deck. I could not hear it from our boat. The 3k is louder than the 2k, and he was way closer than a boat an anchor would be.
We ran a 2000 for months traveling up and down the ICW. With the 2000 sitting on our aft deck, and under load, we could not hear the unit from our dinghy a short distance from the boat. There were many in the anchorages and the only way we knew if one was running was to get right next to the boat. Not quite as bad as some would have you believe. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 20:08   #58

Boat: Caliber 40

"Not quite as bad as some would have you believe."

Friends we cruised with in Mexico had a Honda 1 KW. There is no doubt that we could hear the generator when they were anchored even 50 yards UPWIND of us.

If they were 20 yards downwind in more than 5 knots we did not hear their generator.

We liked cruising with them and they were very considerate about where they anchored. But - if the wind shift we definitely knew their little Honda was running.
Old 08-01-2014, 21:44   #59

Boat: Colin Archer RS-22 46' LOD

I am not sure what it is that you are planning or needing to run, but I think there are other options. I spent a considerable amount of time weighing the options for an AC source and what it was I wanted to run and realized that I really didn't need a genset. I have instead opted for a good 2kw inverter, high output alternator, 360 watts of solar and plans to add a wind charger in the future. In the rare times the solar and wind won't keep up I can always start the engine to accommodate the need. This route will cost a bit more than the Honda but no where near a diesel genset. Just an option.
Old 08-01-2014, 21:53   #60

Boat: Catalina 36

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that it is *very* easy to convert the suitcase Honda or Yamaha generators to tri-fuel (gas/petrol, propane, LNG I believe are the 3). There are even a few Internet vendors that sell these pre-converted for pretty cheap.

One of the boats I looked at when buying my current one had the main propane tank T-ed to a quick connect on the sugar scoop transom (the owner had also upgraded to a slightly larger one than OEM). All this was of course after the solenoid switch. The tri-fuel gen was going with the boat, and he swore it was quieter running propane than gas. Not sure if there's any truth to the last statement, but running on propane sounds nice as it eliminates the need to carry gas, other than for the dinghy (though I'm thinking of going propane for that too).

Speaking of dinghies -- I saw a guy over the summer running his suitcase gen inside his RIB dinghy, in a muffle box... It wasn't that bad.

Tags
generator, installation, inverter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: