Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 13:21   #1

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Inverter draw

I have not dealt with an inverter before and have just had one installed on your boat .My question is does the inverter draw power when it is turned on but there is no 110 demand . and if it does not is there any reason to turn it off
David
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 13:45   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Inverter draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I have not dealt with an inverter before and have just had one installed on your boat.
Thanks but I already have one.

Quote:
My question is does the inverter draw power when it is turned on but there is no 110 demand . and if it does not is there any reason to turn it off
David
yes albeit only a few watts. If it was installed correctly, it should be switched at or near the fuse to simply cut the power source.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 13:49   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Depends.

More sophistocated inverters may only draw a very nominal amount unless there is an actual load. Less sophisticated may draw more. Best to look at the specs of your specific Inverter.

My good old Freedom 20 has a configurable minimum load threshold. Below that load level it does not produce any output except a very low power pulse to check for load. A few years ago someone working on my boat accidently left it on....for 6 months...no loads so no problem. Fine piece of gear, going on 14 years old.

I do still turn mine on just as needed though to manage energy use, especially with guests aboard. The remote control panel is at the nav station, next to my usual cabin, which helps.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 16:05   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I have not dealt with an inverter before and have just had one installed on your boat .My question is does the inverter draw power when it is turned on but there is no 110 demand . and if it does not is there any reason to turn it off
David
The answer to your first question is, yes it does draw current when there is no demand for 120 volts AC. You can check the specifications to find out how much but it won't be a lot.

Many inverters have a remote control switch either standard or as an option so it's not necessary to use a 200 amp rated switch in the DC conductor.
Old 22-11-2014, 16:13   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

It can be a lot of draw - depending. Full sine-wave inverters will draw much more than modified. In standby mode, some of them draw 2.5A with no loads connected. All of them of any useable size will draw at least 1A. One can use load search functions to bring this draw down considerably to ~250 milliamps, but these do not always work well for particular applications.

For example, any wall-wart chargers left in outlets will trip the search mode into full standby power because their transformers draw power even when nothing is connected. Also, things like a microwave will never activate an inverter in search mode to provide full power because its clock doesn't draw enough to activate the inverter.

Search mode adjustment is a fine-balance act that I have never mastered. I just switch the inverter on and off as needed.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 17:09   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
For example, any wall-wart chargers left in outlets will trip the search mode into full standby power because their transformers draw power even when nothing is connected. Also, things like a microwave will never activate an inverter in search mode to provide full power because its clock doesn't draw enough to activate the inverter.

Search mode adjustment is a fine-balance act that I have never mastered. I just switch the inverter on and off as needed.

Mark
True, its not a perfect solution. Works in my case most of the time, but I do have to flip on a load sometimes to trigger it to sense load.

Small power supplies are evil. Imagine how many bazzilions of kilowatts they waste world wide!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter