Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2009, 12:23   #1

Inverter Connection

good day all
i have a 2000watt invertor setup standalone in my boat. i would like to wire it into the existing 110 system but want to make sure its protected. i know i can go out spend money and buy a dedicated transfer switch but was wondering i have a 30 amp dual pole breaker already can i not use this as an on/off switch. just want to make sure that if the invertor was to accidently be turned on while the shore power was connected that nothing would get fried. thanks
davevancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 15:52   #2

no one not one response come on all you electrical wizards can someone please share any imput thanks
Old 17-11-2009, 16:05   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
What brand and model? Is it an Inverter/charger?
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 16:08   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevancat View Post
good day all
i have a 2000watt invertor setup standalone in my boat. i would like to wire it into the existing 110 system but want to make sure its protected. i know i can go out spend money and buy a dedicated transfer switch but was wondering i have a 30 amp dual pole breaker already can i not use this as an on/off switch. just want to make sure that if the invertor was to accidently be turned on while the shore power was connected that nothing would get fried. thanks
Sooner or later you will forget. You may damage you or someone you love, your boat, the inverter, and may kill someone from voltage fed from your inverter into the mains.

Get a transfer switch and do it right. Remember what B O A T stands for. Can you run all juice thru the inverter?

My dad backfeeds his genny into the house during a power outage and I tell him all of this but hey what do I know? I worry about him .....
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 17:06   #5

Boat: Irwin 40
Any "MARINE" inverter will have an automatic transfer switch. If it is not a marine unit take it back get your money back and get a marine unit. There are several reasons for this safety being the biggest. You cannot simpley tie into your present shore power system without knowing what you are doing or you could hurt or kill someone. You also need to understand you loads and useage. I recomend you hire a ABYC certified tech to at least consult with you on the installation. You do not want to fool around with 120 VAC if you do not know what you are doing. Inverters need there own neutral buses, they need to be seperated from redudant loads and heavy loads like battery chargers and water heaters. I strongly urge you to get some help from a professional on this one.

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 17:44   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I have a "marine" inverter, 1500 watt that doesn't have an automatic transfer switch. It's also not a charger.

If you want to do this without a transfer switch, you'll need at least two breakers, and a sliding lockout.
But as said above, if you're not sure about what you're doing........
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 19:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Really the safest "child proof" way of doing it is to have a transfer switch with A-Off-B positions. There is no way you can mess it up. You can even work on your AC system (downstream of the switch) by putting it in the Off position and be assured that you are not going to get electrocuted.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 05:52   #8

thanks everyone guess i should have been more specific
the invertor is a xantrek 2000 watt invertor only no charger, it does not have a built in transfer switch but many "marine invertors" ive seen advertised do not as well. right now the invertor is standalone when im off the dock needed some 110 i have a short extension cord male to male that backfeeds in through one of my 110 outlets. the battery charger is isolated from this feed. i thought that using my dp 30amp breaker with a breaker lockout plate would essentially be the same as a transfer switch the hot and neutral would be isolated. am i wrong in my assumption here. thanks for the replies
Old 18-11-2009, 05:54   #9

and yes i do understand that a true transfer switch is the best way to go but just trying to keep costs down but perhaps this isnt the best way to do so.
Old 18-11-2009, 06:37   #10

Boat: Beneteau 393
You're using a male-male transfer lead???? Seriously??? You think that's a safe option? And suppose some-one innocently unplugs the "live" end and touches the exposed pins?? I wouldn't condone this sort of connection anywhere, boat or home!
nikki-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 10:09   #11
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
As said above but maybe in a slightly different way: The requirement is to allow only a single source of AC to be providing power to a panel at any time. Positive control of the available sources of AC is required.

You have two choices for correctly and safely wiring this inverter; either install a source selector switch with Inverter-Off-Shorepower positions OR have two (one for inverter output and one for shorepower) separate 30 amp double pole circuit breakers with a mechanical gate that only allows one of the two sources to be selected at a time.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 15:05   #12

well nikki-m seeing how im the only one on the boat and that the invertor and the backfed 110 plug are in a secured locker i didnt see the harm. thanks charliej all i wanted to know was if i could use an additional 2pole 30 amp breaker with a lockout now that i know i can use it without frying the invertor i will hardwire the plug in to the new breaker. thanks

Tags
inverter